Searching for a Glasgow trackplan

fifemogul

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jim49,

Yes, I am that same escapee from Cumbernauld that you are thinking of.  Now I'll have to go and change my username and avatar to become anonymous once more.  For those of you who don't know Cumbernauld, consider yourself lucky.  Let me put it like this: the book entitled '50 shades of grey' could easily be about the architectural colour palette of the towns designers.

Anyway, sorry to 'pinch' the thread for a moment.  More relevantly, there is lots of interesting stuff here, and enough to start off a few layouts.

Regards,

Alex.

Hi Graham a book on Glasgow Stations may help has a brief History of Glasgow's Main Stations and goods Stations from early days through to the late 70s also includes the underground a good wee read

regards Eddie

Glasgow Stations

Author: John R. Hume, Colin Johnston,

Publisher: David & Charles PLC

Keywords: stations, glasgow

Pages: 160

Published: 1979-02-22

Language: English

Category: Railroads, Transportation, Professional & Technical,

ISBN-10: 0715375695 ISBN-13: 9780715375693

Binding: Hardcover

List Price: Unknown try abebooks £10 and upwards or a google search

Whilst my mind is still on Glasgow and its railways, anyone know the gauge of the Clockwork Orange (if it's not standard) and is there a "hole" where the rolling stock can be lifted out to go away for maintenance/refurb? If there's an "above ground" depot, then there would be no need for a hole, but I don't ever recall seeing or hearing of one.

Thanks, Pete.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Pete,

The gauge is 4'0" and, yes, there is a depot in Govan(?).  Originally trains were lifted out of a hole by means of a crane.  On a regular basis they would be switched between tracks to even out flange wear etc.  When the system was modernised in the late '70s a crossover cavern was created with the addition of inclines to ground level; there then followed the creation of a surface depot and yard.  There are some engineers locos although I have only once ever seen one in use as they tend only to come out at night.

As a system, the crossover cavern and the lines up to the works would make the most useable model, although there is little stock or operational variety.

Hope that answers your question.

Regards,

Alex.

Hi Pete, the gauge is 4' 0" and there was originally a "lift out" section under Broomloan Road Depot (between Govan and Ibrox stations) to allow maintenance. This has now been improved by installing a junction close by which allows the units to be driven up a fairly steep climb into the depot.

Jim

If you want different levels then you could do worse than con sider Eglinton Street/ Cumberland Street, on the south side.   Caley through Eglinton street, and G&SWR with maybe a wee bit of NB through Cumberland street (above).

Old maps should have the track plans and the Caley and G&SWR Associations have featured their respective stations in their Journals.

I think there is a feature on Cumberland Street on forgotten Glasgow/ Subterranean Glasgow.

• 4 months later...

Back after a prolonged absence, nice to see my name banded about without any smears!!

Jim

Give me time! There are some things about you that cannot be mentioned in respectable company.

JIm

Archived