HIGH PEASHOLM

silverlink

• 2 weeks later...

Following my last post a bit more work has taken place. I have been busy ballasting which I know some hate but to be honest I don't mind doing it. Just put some of you favourite music on and away you go. I picked this tip up some time ago and it really does work.  

The ballast I have used is Woodland Scenics Medium Grey which I purchased from Hattons at £8-60 per container

post-4401-0-14022800-1386338815_thumb.jpg

The ballast is carefully brushed into place

post-4401-0-56360900-1386338973_thumb.jpg

This in turn is sprayed with water with a little washing up liquid added and once soaked in a mix of PVA and water mixed 50/50 is dribbled over all the ballast.

post-4401-0-79674400-1386339744_thumb.jpg

post-4401-0-79493200-1386340497_thumb.jpg

Once the glue dries I will airbrush track colour over all the track until happy with the colour, this I will be doing once the ballast is fully dry.

I have also started putting together a few rakes of stock which I am trying to get as prototypical as I can, this is a shot of The Flying Scotsman circa 1961 which is made up of Bachmann Mk1's. It still needs a Thompson FK with ladies retiring room. I do have one made from Southern Pride/Comet etched brass parts but that one is part of my Elizabethan rake so I intend putting another together for the Scotsman. It is seen on the newly ballasted track which will be cleaned up prior to spraying.

THE FLYING SCOTSMAN

post-4401-0-21531300-1386340944_thumb.jpg

Thanks

Ian

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/75079-high-peasholm/?view=getnewpost

He's got a Thompson BG listed too. I think though the reason he's selling is be cause he's been told that the these were only in the FS in the winter months when the Lizzie didn't run.

It contradicts the cw that I've got but whose to say which is correct. Any way just thought it may help...

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/75079-high-peasholm/?view=getnewpost

He's got a Thompson BG listed too. I think though the reason he's selling is be cause he's been told that the these were only in the FS in the winter months when the Lizzie didn't run.

It contradicts the cw that I've got but whose to say which is correct. Any way just thought it may help...

With reference your thread David, I have a copy of the winter East coast carriage workings for 1960/61 and it shows the Thompson 1st with ladies retiring room in the FS set so you are absolutely correct. I also have Steve Banks excellent book on East Coast Train Formations in which for the Flying Scotsman set it says that through the 1950's a pair of Thompson coaches with ladies retiring rooms were included in the sets with Mk1's making up the rest of the train. Now I'm not sure what era Gilbert is modelling but certainly up to 1960 he could have a Thompson in his FS rake.

I have found his coach on ebay but it has gone to high for me to afford and to be honest I'd prefer to make my own. the etched sides are only £7-50 and I do have an old Bachmann Thompson so it won't cost me that much to do one. 

I'm busy at moment re-numbering some mk1's for my rake plus weathering 16 ton minerals. 

Ian

Archived