HIGH PEASHOLM

silverlink

After the past four or five years of building and detailing my exhibition layout ‘Haymarket Cross’ I thought it was time to have ago at another home layout. My good friend Mike Johnson chairman of our club in Scarborough kindly offered to come round and help me plan a simple layout that would allow for plenty of running with fiddle yard able to cope with a few trains. With so many locos on tap (as those that have seen my exhibition layout will quantify) I wanted space to run a selection of reasonably accurate trains which would need fairly long storage space. We came up with a two level out and back which would allow for going round the loft twice before arriving back where you started.

I have named the layout after the area in Scarborough where I live which is where the famous Peasholm Park is situated. I’m sure many of you will have visited this park which is also well known for its naval warfare which takes place three times a week in the summer. At one time it was called ‘The Battle Of The River Plate’ but nowadays this is politically in-correct.

These Are my first pictures of the open plan running lines

post-4401-0-07364100-1376679462_thumb.jpg

post-4401-0-40578700-1376679486_thumb.jpg

post-4401-0-25748100-1376679506_thumb.jpg

post-4401-0-84857100-1376679773_thumb.jpg

One thing I wanted to try and avoid was steep gradients so Mike came up with a cunning plan which had the area under the fiddle yard at '0' level and the fiddle yard at +3". The running area at the other side of the loft is at + 1-1/2" meaning the whole layout only has to rise or drop 1-1/2". Mike worked out a maximum gradient of 1-in- 96 which I'm hoping will allow me to run scale length trains. The overall size of the layout is 18'x 10'.

I am very busy now for the next two weeks with our clubs Pickering Model show this w/e & next w/e 24/25th Aug

I am at Railex North East with my 'Haymarket Cross' but will update this thread when I get a bit further on.

Thanks for looking

Ian H

• 1 month later...

After a couple of weeks in the loft the layout is slowly coming together, I have been working on the curves and gradients followed by the laying of the first bits of track. I am using Peco code 75 which is the track left over from previous layouts, points are all Electrofrog which will be modified for DCC. Points will be worked by the excellent Circuitron Tortoise switch Machines which came from Coastal DCC. these are the same as used on 'Haymarket Cross' which have given excellent service at all the shows attended.

THIS PICTURE SHOWS SOME TRACK LAID IN THE FOREFRONT WHILST THE SPACE BEHIND IS WHERE THE RETURN TRACK WILL GO. THIS IS SHOWN IN NEXT PHOTO.

post-4401-0-64962200-1379847305_thumb.jpg

THIS SHOWS THE TRACK WHICH I AM HAVING TO WORK ON OFF SITE DUE TO THE FACT I CAN'T DO IT IN SITU DUE TO THE ROOF SLOPE. I AM FITTING ALL WIRING, POINT MOTORS AND TRACK WHICH WILL THEN BE REPOSITIONED BACK ON SITE TO BE JOINED UP.

post-4401-0-42376700-1379847526_thumb.jpg

TORTOISE MOTORS READY FOR FITTING

post-4401-0-96833300-1379847753_thumb.jpg

THE MOTORS FITTED WITH THE FROG POLARITY WIRES READY FOR SOLDERING TO THE MOTOR

post-4401-0-56626800-1379847851_thumb.jpg

TRACK FEED WIRES (DROPPERS) WHICH I AM FITTING TO EVERY PIECE OF TRACK USING 16/02 WIRE

post-4401-0-71189200-1379847944_thumb.jpg

ONE CORNER OF LAYOUT WHERE I AM TRYING TO WORK OUT GETTING INTO THE FIDDLE YARD WITH 10 TRACKS!

post-4401-0-89899400-1379848088_thumb.jpg

post-4401-0-95231100-1379848133_thumb.jpg

Ian H

Hi Ian, this looks really good :locomotive:  :locomotive:  and Haymarket Cross is the inspiration for a small Depot layout that I am planning, I hate to swear on the Web but mine will be Midland, :O hahah :no:

I like the idea of the double loop and using every inch available is good.

One thing; I had a loft layout once and the Florescent light above the escape hatch caught fire, the next day I bought a fire extinguisher.

I will be watching with interest. :locomotive:

All the best.

Andy :sungum:

Midland engine shed BOO!!!

Thanks for input Andy, all I'm trying to do is create maximum running in space available. With Haymarket Cross all the locos are running very slow with no stock so this will allow full length trains to run. I also want to try a bit more landscaping (one of my weak points)as well as a few buildings here and there. I love wiring and this will, I'm sure well and truly tax me.

Thanks

Ian

Hi Ian high peasholm is looking good.

I have just started to look into getting my layout back to its former glory and i'm planing to get some points this week and then its time to find a DCC controller.

I'll be at the club on wednesday so see you then.

Jamie

Have spent last couple of days working on one corner where I have hopefully managed to work out a track plan for the ten road fiddle yard. I have made one of the boards detachable so I could work on laying the points and Tortoise motors off site making soldering the feed wires much easier to do.

A CURVED LARGE RADIOUS POINT FROM THE BOTTOM SHOWING THE TWO WIRES WHICH NEED REMOVING TO ALLOW FOR MAKING THE FROG 'LIVE'FOR BETTER DCC RUNNING.

post-4401-0-68357700-1380042390_thumb.jpg

THE POINT AFTER REMOVAL OF TWO WIRES

post-4401-0-17806700-1380042444_thumb.jpg

THE TORTOISE MOTOR FITTED AND WIRED, BROWN & BLUE TO STOCK RAILS, ORANGE TO FROG, GREEN & PURPLE POINT CHANGE OVER WIRES.

post-4401-0-00237800-1380042599_thumb.jpg

FOUR POINTS ALL WIRED UP INCLUDING EXTRA FEEDS FOR CONNECTING TO BUS WIRES

post-4401-0-61509000-1380042742_thumb.jpg

THE POINTS VIEWED FROM ABOVE PRIOR TO REFITTING INTO LAYOUT

post-4401-0-55177100-1380042830_thumb.jpg

Thanks

Ian H

Nice work Ian,

I read the wiring bit and didn't fall to sleep, so I wonder if all your badgering regarding frogs and polarity is finally beginning to wear me down...er sorry get me interested.

I'll pop round for another conflab at some point as it looks like you're steaming ahead. Keep up the good work.

Mike

Looks like a great set up taking shape there. I'm sure your impressive loco stud will appreciate having a decent circuit to stretch their legs on.

And I remember going to see the Battle of the River Plate in Peasholm Park when I was nobbut a lad! Cracking entertainment. Pleased that it still survives (albeit in PC form!). Went on the miniature railway from Northstead Manor gardens a few years ago 'for old times' sake as well. :)

Hi

Having seen your photo with the multi tortoise motors a question comes to mind. Could you just have 1 motor and numerous switches. Then by throwing a switch the motor could alter one of several connected points.

Not sure here what you mean, I know Circuitron do add-on accessories  but when you see the price and the amount of extra work required which might not work I think I'd rather play safe and use individual motors. I bought my Tortoise motors from Coastal DCC in the 12 pack around £12-00 each + postage.

Hi 4479,

Naval warfare still going strong although not named as you mention (all this political correctness) now with dive bombing planes! My wife is Chairman of Peasholm Park Friends so spends quite a lot of time in the park. For past three years I've been playing gigs on the bandstand to help raise funds for them.

Ian H

Not sure here what you mean, I know Circuitron do add-on accessories  but when you see the price and the amount of extra work required which might not work I think I'd rather play safe and use individual motors. I bought my Tortoise motors from Coastal DCC in the 12 pack around £12-00 each + postage.

I know little about wiring but if you have one motor leading to one point, can you not place some kind of switch/es between the Tortoise and the point. eg if you had 3 points, you could have 3 switches and divert the power to which ever point you wanted to change. Thereby only neexing one tortoise to supply movement to many points.

I know little about wiring but if you have one motor leading to one point, can you not place some kind of switch/es between the Tortoise and the point. eg if you had 3 points, you could have 3 switches and divert the power to which ever point you wanted to change. Thereby only neexing one tortoise to supply movement to many points.

No, can't be done as it is only possible to work one point with one motor as is the wiring. The point operating wire that goes through the baseboard into the point can only work on one point, if you look at post two picture three of the two Tortoise motors you can see the operating wire that moves the point blades.

Hi Ian

Just found your new thread which I will follow with great interest, I have just added a request for help on my thread with no luck so far.

May I ask what type of baseboards are you using and what thickness as I am now looking at the track layout for Haymarket 64B.

Great work from you as usual.

Regards

David

Hi Ian

Just found your new thread which I will follow with great interest, I have just added a request for help on my thread with no luck so far.

May I ask what type of baseboards are you using and what thickness as I am now looking at the track layout for Haymarket 64B.

Great work from you as usual.

Regards

David

Baseboards, ah what a subject.

Since building 'Haymarket Cross' I've picked up many things that I would incorporate into another layout should I ever build one. Of course you may not want 'portability' so some things would not be relevant, I have used the standard 2"x1" frame with good quality 4'x2' 9mm ply on HC however, as I have used Tortoise motors for the points I've had to build an additional frame with 4mm ply base so as to box in all the motors and wiring. Another major concern was lining up of baseboards and for this I have used pattern makers dowels, these really do work well and along with 8mm coach bolts and nuts hold the baseboards straight and true. Legs are 'H' shape made with 2"x1" and 4mm ply strengthening with adjustable feet.

If I was to do it again I would make the baseboards slightly smaller which would make the building of covers for it easier. I would also get the 2"x1" cut professionally for good square edges as well as fitting the locating dowels.

If your layout is not going to be portable then you won't need dowels or the top/bottom covers.

Ian     

• 1 month later...

Its a month or so now since my last thread so I thought I'd bring things up to date. Most of the last month has been spent laying track and points plus all the wiring (this DCC is only two wires) Bus wires are 32 gauge and the droppers are 16 gauge. For the Tortoise point motors I've used the standard 7/02 multi strand. The Peco points have all been wired with live frogs which will be automatically changed when the point is thrown. I have also installed droppers from all points plus every piece of track on the layout, it is this that has taken up most of my time but in the long run it should pay dividends in clean running. 

The fiddle yard is made up of ten running lines (five each way) but after laying I found I had more storage space length than I first thought which will enable me to have two trains per running line should I wish.  

FIDDLE YARD LEFT SIDE

post-4401-0-02056300-1384358932_thumb.jpg

FULL LENGTH FIDDLE YARD

post-4401-0-96592000-1384358949_thumb.jpg

FIDDLE YARD RIGHT

post-4401-0-97153000-1384358963_thumb.jpg

OPPOSITE SIDE RUNNING LINE

post-4401-0-12166500-1384358994_thumb.jpg

Still lots to do and if I can persuade my good mate Mike Johnson to come round with a few more of his ideas hopefully things will move forward.

Cheers

Ian

Hope you've tested the gradients

Hi David,

When planning the layout, I worked with a ruling gradient of 1 in 96, so hopefully there shouldn't be a problem. Ian has done a great job laying the track, and the curves are very generous, so fingers crossed.

Ian also said he could fit a 25 coach train in the storage yard, so shades of Gasworks tunnel in wartime there!

I must get round again and put my two penneth in.

What he really needs is a new Hornby P2. (But don't tell Linda)

Thanks for positive comments guys, I must admit to finding a couple of spots on the layout that needed a bit of tweaking. One of them was a dip in the track on the lower level out of site(typical)which on examining was caused by a Tortoise motor on the upper level just catching the edge of the lower level board and pushing the track down. Removing a little bit of wood helped and the track is now ok. there is another area that needs a little adjustment but that hopefully will only take a couple of minutes.

I've tried a couple of trains round and all seems to work ok but am using analogue at moment whilst waiting for some Lenz connectors to enable me to use my Haymarket Cross Lenz system. Doing this will save me having to buy another digital setup.

Ian

Looking Good Ian, I have just relaid some of my track now i just need a controller and some elbow grease and (touch wood) i'll have a working layout, hopefully this weekend I will have a 21 pin Decoder on order for Tornado.

once again looking good,

Jamie

• 2 weeks later...

It was my pleasure to go and see High Peasholm today, and witness trains running. At scale speeds it does take quite a while to complete the round and back circuits. The trains I saw running, 9F on a windcutter mineral wagon set, O1 on a tank wagon rake and A4 on the Pullman had no trouble with gradients. The only problem seemed to be that one of the Pullman cars was requiring attention to it's back to back gauging. Ian was in the process of ordering the ballast for the next part of the project. (rather him than me)

Thanks for the tour Ian. I can't wait to see a video uploaded to the web. (prod)

Archived