Tram motors.

deeslexia

E-bay are advertising Corgi Trams Dick Kerr, either with ABS style motor [ as Bec Kits ??] or with Tenshodo bogie .

Do you know which is ' better' ?

I can buy the rarer Beaties tram with Tenshodo for the same price as sending one of my trams bought for £10 or so for the ABS type motor.

Thanks.

dee

Neither! Both have their faults...

The ABS trucks are tough and reliable but are quite crude and slow speed control is a chalenge. Shorter wheelbase versions are also single axle drive which can be an issue because they tend to run better one way than the other.

Tenshodos are more refined and controlable but are more fragile and don't take kindly to having large chunks of cast metal plonked on them...

I'm sure others will be along shortly to recomend Halling trucks, Black Beetles and assorted other options, but these tend to be more expensive.

You pay you money, you make your choice...

Paul

Sorry Paul, ABS don't cut it in my opinion, rough and noisy, like going back to Triang stuff..... You wouldn't build a 4mm Pacific with a white metal chassis so why does tramway modelling have to put up with this sort of stuff when there's so many better options?

Tenshodo again I don't get on with those.

Black Beetle and Halling by a country mile

Halling aren't even that dear, 39 euros plus 4 euro p&p direct from Halling, who are very easy to deal with direct for a 35mm drive http://www.halling.at/en/Accessories/Drives/KSW-drive?source=2&refertype=1&referid=72 what's that £37 ish a full £15 over a BEC/ABS mech, no brainer in my book. 

Many thanks.

I like the thought that the Tenshodo might be crushed by the tram , could be OK for a card tram though. 

Obviously, slow speed control is an issue'cos I would hate my trams rushing around a scale 80mph !!

... I am not certain, without a workshop or tools, I could manage fitting my own motors though. 

• RMweb Premium

EFE Horsfields are OK with either Tenshodo or Black Beetles

Cast Lance Corporals, Southamton dome, Pilchers etc all run on Headingley Depot on Tenshodos but these will be replaced by black beetles as they are dcc'd as they are worn out.

Tenshodos need a lot of work to keep them running - but some on teh layout have run a lot of real miles...

Archived