Southern Region in OO

The Bigbee Line

I like to do my planning with track pinned to thin ply, then maybe wired and test run.  Like a feature film there are many 'takes' with track lifted and re-laid many times.

I needed to produce a layout and fancied a small terminus.  I had previously created a three road terminus 'Ludgate', long since scrapped.  I had two boards with 18mm ply for the frame, topped with thinner ply.  I thought about an Allhallows like terminus, but with third rail.  The boards have some alignment pegs and were laid with Rocoline code 83 track.  The layout was not right so the process began, track up, track down etc.  The shots attached show how it is at the moment, waiting a house move to allow construction to continue.

Points will be powered by some Hankscraft Switchmaster motors.

The stock shown is just to illustrate the pictures.  Two 2 BILs are in the cupboard ready to emerge.

20120229 Ludgate 008

Ludgate 094

20120229 Ludgate 009

20120229 Ludgate 010 Third Rail Layout

20120229 Ludgate 014 Platform test

Comments /  Questions appreciated,

Thanks

Ernie Puddick

• RMweb Premium

Nice stuff Ernie , looks not dissimilar to my Portsea Town project . Are we going to see some third rail to go with those BILs ,hope so for the thought of some other poor soul suffering for their pleasures

How do you see the scenic side progressing

Moorings Ernie,

Not knowing how much space you are allowed, a different type of layout sprung to mind.

Without, the steep gradient involved,.........on the model.

Not, much scenery, as it is "all" at sea.

http://www.kentrail.org.uk/folkestone_harbour.htm

Does it have to be a Terminus ?

Emu Depot, (small), appeal to you ?

Nothing is ever set in stone with me.  I want to go ex LBSC if I can.  I have started another board to add 4 coach lengths to the platforms.  If I have the station buildings over that tracks, the buffer stops can be hidden making the opportunity for conversion to a through station.

Thanks,  Ernie

Question time please:

Any ideas / information on when the small yellow warning panels were added to 2-BIL units?

I have 3 green Heljan 33's; one in original green, one with small yellow warning panels and the third with the yellow end, still with green body.  Any idea on the time frame for the changes to the ends?

I am looking to see if the small yellow ends appeared before steam disappeared?

What Van and Newspaper trains ran in 1960's.  What stock and any ideas on workings?

Many thanks,

Ernie Puddick

Question time please:

Any ideas / information on when the small yellow warning panels were added to 2-BIL units?

I have 3 green Heljan 33's; one in original green, one with small yellow warning panels and the third with the yellow end, still with green body.  Any idea on the time frame for the changes to the ends?

I am looking to see if the small yellow ends appeared before steam disappeared?

What Van and Newspaper trains ran in 1960's.  What stock and any ideas on workings?

Many thanks,

Ernie Puddick

In one of my books there are a couple of photos of 2BILs with small yellow panels taken in May 1967.

In another book D6530 has a small yellow panel in August 1962, apparently the first of the class to receive one,

cheers

• RMweb Gold

If you are looking at LBSCR, a sort of Littlenor or Boghampton, then vans were not numerous. The key train in the area was the 1135 Chichester to Bricklayers Arms, via Worthing. This picked up perishables and parcels all along the west coast, the former traffic being very heavy with all the market gardens in that locale. These were formed mainly of CCTs and GUVs by this time. BRUTE working had been introduced in the mid-60s, with each station having its traffic ready-loaded in a BRUTE when the train arrived, and simply opening a pair of doors, removing an empty BRUTE and replacing it with a full one. The return working was the 1535 (I think) from B Arms.

Newspaper trains from London Su X were the 0320 Vic - Brighton and 0327 Vic - Eastbourne. They ran an hour later, or so, on Sundays. There was then a Worthing service off the Brighton vans, just as I think there was a 3 Bridges - Horsham connection, maybe not a detachment, though.  I'm unclear how papers got beyond there, but Sunday mornings in the early '70s, maybe before then, it was not unknown to have a pair of MLVs working Bognor and Chichester paper services if there was engineering works. An additional paper train on Sundays was the 0445 Vic - Angmering. I'm a bit vague about all these because I left the Control in 1973, and anyway I was running one of the London areas, not the country end of things.

Edited for brain fade.

In one of my books there are a couple of photos of 2BILs with small yellow panels taken in May 1967.

In another book D6530 has a small yellow panel in August 1962, apparently the first of the class to receive one,

cheers

I believe there was a BR&CW Type 3 in green, without any sort of yellow end, as late as 1967..

Thanks for the various information.  See items below:

Rough Signalling Diag

Rough Signalling Diagram
This gives me a little conundrum; What to do with the siding?  It's not really suitable for goods unloading.  It could be to serve the sub station, or it could be a berthing siding perhaps.

To allow some flexibility I am going to standardise on a template for the end of a double track module.  It's 20 wide with the 2 tracks at 2" centres.  I can then make the boards for Holland Road Goods.  I have all the Code 75 track stashed away for this one.  The platform boards will go where Holland Road is on the signalling diagram.

Holland Road

Possible yard extension
Many thanks
Ernie Puddick

An interesting design change for platform 3, but personally I would do the following:

• If the siding was to be used for empty multiple units, the bay platform 3 would work very well.
  • If the siding was to be used for engineers or freight trains the bay platform would just not be practical in my view. It may be more interesting to leave platform 3 and a through platform if freight was in the question.

http://www.bloodandcustard.com/BIL001.html

Small yellow warning panels were painted onto cab ends from January 1964 with units 2080 and 2087 amongst the first SR units so treated: 

http://www.semgonline.com/gallery/2bil_01.html

http://www.southernelectric.org.uk/features/historical-features/fleet_bil.html

• RMweb Gold

An interesting one...........Too big ?

http://85a.co.uk/forum/view_topic.php?id=1010&forum_id=12

I think that chap posted a few times on RMweb, maybe still does. Singleton is a most impressive station, but does need some space. It was a bit more deluxe than some such designs because when it was built the then-Prince of Wales, later Edward VII, was a regular guest at Goodwood House. Passenger traffic ceased in 1935. About 30 years ago I found myself standing on the platform there, when such things were possible, but I think it is now a private dwelling.

Things have gone round in a circle (as usual).

I was looking to do a bit of modelling without having to try and remember what box every thing was packed in.  The obvious answer was station buildings.  Browsing through the web etc got it narrowed down to a Lewes type canopy arrangement.  Next step was to get a drawing.  That's where things want haywire...

Looking through my library of pictures I came across some taken at Wymondham in 2004.  I had taken a fancy to the possible ease of construction, and that the canopy was flat without any glazing.

I had previously looked at Shoreditch as a possibility so an "East London Line" link to the Great Eastern was not out of the question.

RCH Map showing East London Line

The plus points are:

I can use Great Eastern buildings (he move to Norfolk will make research much easier)

The track layout would suit a station on the boundary of the joint line.

It's a place to terminate an electric service (rather like Horsted Keynes used as somewhere for Seaford trains to terminate).  The use of 2 BIL's is stretching it a bit.  Will need to build an LBSC derived 2 WIM or SL.

As a joint line I would use early Southern colour lights, like those used at Brighton.  The shunt signals are red green miniature lights, so should be easy....

Transfer freights are a possibility as well as terminating suburban services from the Easter Region.

Wymondham 01022004 40

Wymondham 01022004 17

Your thoughts and suggestions are appreciated.

I'm looking for a similar structure for the Island Platform.  Any ideas?

Thanks, Ernie Puddick

Still in the planning / thinking stage.

See the three track layouts below;

Which plan to use

The aim is to have third rail passenger trains arrive from the right, they can only go into the bay.  LT 4th rail services arrive from the left and can use the other two platforms.  Passenger trains from the two systems are kept apart.
In the second of the two sketches I have altered the normal position of a couple of switches and in the third have added a sand drag.  This final arrangement ensures that anything unsignalled will not stray not the other system.
I'm trying to get some ideas for how far the 4th rail goes at the interface with the other system.

I would appreciate any ideas / thoughts etc

Well, after a mentally tortuous weekend I have given up on the 'East London' connection.  There was too much temptation to get a class 15 (or 2) and a set of the nice maroon LNER suburban coaches.  The stretch from reality was a bit to far.

Then for no reason I was looking at the 2-WIM units and did a bit of Googling, the result was a focus on Waddon Marsh.  It has all I want (nearly); 2 car Southern Region passenger EMU's, freight service, some through traffic, coal, cement etc.

I downloaded all the pictures I could find and started to piece together the track layout and signal arrangements, emt_911 has assisted with a diagram of the gasworks:

Waddon Marsh Draft 20130910

Assumptions as follows:

I have guessed what is up and down.

Point and Signal numbers are made up.

I havn't got a copy of the Middleton book "Mitcham Junction Lines", so it's top of the list.

Any hints of where I can find more information is much appreciated,

Archived