Shapeways and similar models

Has anyone else had a case where Shapeways seem to have taken an STL file with multiple similar objects in it and printed one of them several times instead of each. I'm wondering if they've now started trying to be clever with multiple objects in one file (eg to pack them better or print them better).

I've just had some wrong FUD coaches back and I can't see how else this has occurred

Alan

• 2 weeks later...

Confirmed - they've reprinted them this time correctly. It sounds like they need to do some work. Some on my models printed together differ on very subtle detail only so they are going to be doing a lot of reprinting if they don't take a lot more care about how they split up multiple shells.

(Of course for a lot of cases they could simplify the whole problem by allowing you to order multiples of an identical item at one base cost + the per item cost, then people wouldn't stick identical stuff into assorted packs of 3, 5, 10 etc all over the place and they wouldn't have to split shells up to get it in the printer better.)

Alan

(Of course for a lot of cases they could simplify the whole problem by allowing you to order multiples of an identical item at one base cost + the per item cost, then people wouldn't stick identical stuff into assorted packs of 3, 5, 10 etc all over the place and they wouldn't have to split shells up to get it in the printer better.)

We are working on this.

Although I'm not able to provide any more details on this yet :)

But if I'm correct our internal system will split your STL file soon, which means you upload 1 file with 5 models... our system splits them at our production facility in 5 files

Don't pin me on this as I don't know the full details

I have raised this with Shapeways, whether we could re-arrange our drawings to help them,

and was told they have special tools for orienting bits and pieces to load their print batch.

I have several sprues of 5 and 10 off on keepers, printed o'k. These are in similar fashion

to that described by Bill Bedford - was wondering why he no longer offered some very useful

items from his Shop.

Other items with ancillary parts on an attached sprue always come out o'k too.

It would be nice if they gave a "Notes" option when placing an order with very similar r/h & l/h

items on the same STL, to ensure they don't return two of one hand.

With more than one of the same item. we are all obviously trying to pack a drawing to economize

on the initial fixed cost for the more expensive materials - good to hear they are working on this to

make life easier for all of us.

Archived