"Trenance" suitable for through station?

george stein

USA modeller needs help.  The "beginner's project" layout "Trenance" featured in the July 2013 edition of Hornby Magazine strikes me as a delightfully "stereotypical" GWR branch line terminus.  As the rail lines at each end begin their arch, it seems they could be continued easily to appear at a left and.or right module addition.  Thus, "Trenance would become a small through station.  The question is: what, if any, prototypical changes in the track plan are required to convert "Trenance" from a terminus to a through station.  For example: might one remove the carriage shed and reverse the direction of the switch serving as the loco escape?  Advice please, as I am seriously tempted by this plan for, of all things, its bog-standard GWR look.  Thanks.

• RMweb Premium

Assuming that it is the same plan as here http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/37248-trenance/

then there is not much stopping you changing it to a through station. If you want 2 platforms then the carriage shed is in the way. You might also want to have the entry to the goods yard coming off the loop then crossing the running line with a diamond crossing to avoid facing points. 

• RMweb Gold

Trenance, if based on Tetbury, should certainly be suitable as a through station. There was an intention at the time the branch was built to join up end on with the Malmesbury branch. That's why Malmesbury branch was rather longer than it should have been (running past the town through a tunnel).

I doubt if more than one of the stations on this route would have needed a passing loop for passenger trains but Rule One applies. GW practice definitely favoured goods yard access via a diamond to avoid facing points but there are plenty of exceptions to that "rule" where topography makes it necessary.

Hi,

Trenance could be made a through station but the track layout would need to be altered to enable a down train to access the yard. A trailing connection and a single slip could be used. The station loop would have to be extended too. Access to the shed would have to be rejigged. If you were to draw a plan then I think Mike, The Stationmaster, may be tempted to comment.

Yo, SwissRailPassion, don't have the ability to draw & submit plan according to your suggestion.  Please add rough sketch to illustrate your idea.  BTW, reading the impressive above mentioned link from the Falmouth Club, I'm amazed that this layout is analogue control based.  Clearly well-wired and constructed.

• RMweb Premium

"Trenance" is also the actual name of a small Cornish village sitting high on a hillside above the better-known Mawgan Porth midway between Newquay and Padstow.

As such the name is perfectly acceptable for use on a layout and yes it could be a through station with plenty of scope for dramatic landscaping.  Take your pick from SR and GWR themes as well since the location lies part-way between the former territories of both.  Despite early plans by the L&SWR the "missing link" along the 20-mile section of coast was never built and in all likelihood would never have succeeded commercially anyway.

The track plan is of course yours to determine under Rule 1.

Archived