NORTH EASTERN REGION "Plate & Angle" Bracket Signal.

A long time since I have posted, possibly my latest project may be of interest.

Ex Ne Region all metal and welded bracket signal. I have several to make, so I thought worthwhile to spend a bit of time and make proper "Tooling". Photo's 1 & 2 show the assembly jig. This is a piece of hard plastic as used for electrical control panels etc, it is first marked out and then drilled 1mm for suitable spacing pegs. The plates are put in first (10tho N/S) and them the 1mm brass angles are soldered in place, this is done twice to make a "Back" and "Front". The trimmers are 3/32ins square tube slit lenghwise and filed to correct profile. Decking boards are milled brass strip. post-702-0-71295400-1377434398_thumb.jpgpost-702-0-70803400-1377434428_thumb.jpgpost-702-0-92574100-1377434471_thumb.jpgpost-702-0-04417700-1377434518_thumb.jpg

I've got three with tubular dolls and one with wood. I suspect the latter is a real oldie. Got a concrete stem with wooden doll too.

The early ones had timber dolls, I don't know if originaly specified as such, or the provision was owing to a post war shortage of tubes. I have seen a photo of one "Plate and Angle" bracket with wooden dolls and LOWER Quadrant arms.

Very nice picture. On the North Eastern Region "Balanced Brackets" were rare or unknown, I certainly, can't think of any in the Hull area, though no doubt, someone will prove me wrong. There were also several detail differences between the two regions.

Will you be personaly be digging the hole when you come to "Plant your Kit of Parts?

Unfortunately i have a reputation to live up to when it comes to holes... Yes i will be digging the whole hole. It should be just over six feet deep.

Heres a brutally and crudely altered photo of what we want..

attachicon.gifDerham platform starters.jpg

Will look nice when completed and erected.. I was always fasinated by the local S&T oldhands, and the tales they told me, of erecting signals and telegraph poles with little more then a big hole, a plank and a rope.

My gang foreman used to tell of digging an old GN bracket out and dropping a new welded steel bracket in on a Saturday night shift. Other than the Hitchin Pway crane to do the lifting everything else was done by hand and it would be working by the Sunday morning. Straight posts were done entirely by hand. I've dug out quite a few straight posts in my time (and two brackets) and unfortunately i usually get hunted down to lead such jobs. No chance of ducking out in that situation. The end result when putting them up is quite rewarding. 

Archived