RMweb

help on locco locations

Hello there, everyone have a good xmas (got some nice new trains i hope).

I just need a little help. I am building a fictional layout in 00 but I want the loccos to be close to what would have run on a

GWR mainline in the plymouth area mid 1950s. So I would be greatful if anyone knows what these train where as I have tryed to find out myself and failed. I think it would be hall class am I right or way off.

Thank you for your time.

• RMweb Gold

As far as WR locos were concerned -

East of Plymouth (North Road) - 60XX 'King', 47XX.

Either side of Plymouth 4073 'Castle', 10XX 'County', 49XX 'Hall', 68XX 'Grange', 78XX 'Manor', 63XX, 28XX (altho' very rare on workings into Cornwall I believe).

Various classes of pannier tank including paniers on the saltash auto-trains; 45XX/4575 on Tavistock trains.

Plus of course the various SR locos working threough North Road to Friary.

Also - but on a very restricted basis when the 'Kings' were temporarily withdrawn - LMR Princess and Coronation pacifics and possibly an ER V2.

Also - but on a very restricted basis when the 'Kings' were temporarily withdrawn - LMR Princess and Coronation pacifics and possibly an ER V2.

Appropiately, "City of Bristol" was one of the Stanier locos loaned to the WR at that time! You could probably also sneak in a Britannia - most of the WR ones gravitated towards Cardiff Canton before being transferred away entirely, but I believe Newton Abbot and/or Laira MPDs might have had one or two on the books at some point.

As for the V2 transfer episode during the '50s - wasn't that to the SR's Bournemouth route to cover for Merchant Navies experiencing fractured crank axles?

David

• RMweb Gold

I forgot the 'Brits' - probably because Laira men were also keen to forget them given half a chance :lol:

I am given to understand that a V2 did get down there - possibly the one that was on the Western for trials - but one of my former Drivers said he had fired one on the West of England road and he was a pretty straightforward bloke when it came to loco knowledge.

I forgot the 'Brits' - probably because Laira men were also keen to forget them given half a chance :lol:

I am given to understand that a V2 did get down there - possibly the one that was on the Western for trials - but one of my former Drivers said he had fired one on the West of England road and he was a pretty straightforward bloke when it came to loco knowledge.

Having read round the topic of V2s on the web since I posted that, would this be the one that did trials for draughting improvements, disgracing itself by breaking loose on the Swindon Test Plant rollers and knocking a big hole in the wall [1]? :icon_wow:

One other thought - would the Brown-Boveri gas turbine loco have been active on the WR at that time or had it being put into store? Certainly, 18100 was bundled off back to Met-Vick around 1958 for conversion into a 25kV training loco pending delivery of the production series of AC locos.

David

[1] Although I am currently unable to read or hear the expression "hole in the wall" without thinking of BBC1's dire Saturday teatime programme being mocked by Harry Hill. :)

• RMweb Gold

One other thought - would the Brown-Boveri gas turbine loco have been active on the WR at that time or had it being put into store? Certainly, 18100 was bundled off back to Met-Vick around 1958 for conversion into a 25kV training loco pending delivery of the production series of AC locos.

David

I can definitely remember the Swiss loco running about in the mid '50s but from what I can recall from spotting days it was usually on Britsol trains although both the gas turbines had, I believe, run trials down to Plymouth in their early years.

• RMweb Gold

I can definitely remember the Swiss loco running about in the mid '50s but from what I can recall from spotting days it was usually on Britsol trains although both the gas turbines had, I believe, run trials down to Plymouth in their early years.

Don't I recall a story about the flame going out in the combustion chamber on Hemerdon Bank?

Archived