Billington Yard

Georgie!!

Hello all,

Billington yard is my new model railway project which I have started over the past few weeks. The yard is not set on any real location, but is based upon a small fuelling point that may have been somewhere around West Yorkshire. The layout is also going to be set in the year of 1992 with a selection of different locos. The reason for choosing to model the year of 1992 was simply because it was the year I was born, plus, there was some interesting locos around that time too. The layout does only measure a total length of 4ft by 1ft wide, and 3ft of that is scenic and the other 1ft is the fiddle yard, however, there are future plans to extend the layout, it is also built to be portable so it can be moved around the house and even into the garden for photographing in natural light. The only reason really why the layout is so small is just simply down to spare space available for the layout to live. The layout is operated by DCC and hopefully as soon as money lets me the locos will be all sound fitted too. I'm also wanting to super detail and weather stock so this hopefully will give me the chance to have a go at such activities. 

A lot of the scenic work is now well under way with hopefully grasses and bushes and such being the next job to tackle around the layout.

Below is a photo of the current state of play of the layout:

post-6787-0-82751800-1377618942_thumb.jpg

This is a photo of the fuelling point positioned in the top left hand corner of the layout: 

post-6787-0-92691800-1377619003_thumb.jpg

This shows you a kind of overall shot of the layout looking from the fiddle yard:

post-6787-0-23591700-1377619232_thumb.jpg

That's all for now, all the best,

George

Hello all,

Thank you very much for the comments.

I have thought about adding some kind of low relief shed building, an I especially like the idea of mirrors I hadn't thought of using anything like that, but to be honest, my scratchbuilding skills are certainly not up to such a task like that as usually they just look awful. I have thought about a extension to the layout and extending it by a further 3ft or 4ft and including a two road shed. This would also mean that the fiddle yard would also be extended by an extra 1ft. This, however, is just a plan for something later on.

Not much to report on the layout today as I'm still waiting for a parcel with some goodies to arrive, but I'm hoping to fit the fuelling point into its final resting spot today.

I have some photos of the layout in its early stages of construction which I would like to share with you all.

The first photo is of the track finished being stuck down and also the road way marked out for the filler: 

post-6787-0-63203700-1377685853_thumb.jpg

The next photo is of the completed road way: 

post-6787-0-88494300-1377686052_thumb.jpg

I'm afraid then I didn't take any more photos of the ballasting of the track or anything, but here is a photo of the painted road way and also the backscene fitted and also EWS 66067 arriving into the yard: 

post-6787-0-25131600-1377686102_thumb.jpg

That's all for now, all the best,

George

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all,

After waiting around for the past couple of weeks the parcel finally arrived containing what was needed to move things on with the railway. The parcel contained grasses and trees to finally fill in all the blank areas around the layout, but it was definitely well worth the wait. The trees where professionally made so they took a while to make, but they really look great on the layout. Once I have fully completed putting the grasses down into place, I will then concentrate on the electrical part of the layout as I'm wanting to add some lights around the layout where I'm going to put them is another story.... 

Here are some recent photos of the entrance/exit to the fiddle yard with the grass and trees in place:

post-6787-0-33540300-1379256762_thumb.jpg

I then added some grass around the edges of the road and around the crossing:

post-6787-0-55261300-1379256796_thumb.jpg

Once trains start moving again I will get some more photos.

All the best,

George

Archived