Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Resin buildings.........the way ahead?

Popped into Kernow Models today and was fortunate to be shown ( thanks Chris) their new resin Southern Signal box and of course the new roundhouse section.

to say they are good is an understatement! I know much has been said about ready to plonk models taking away the skill of building your own etc, but having seen these creations I must admit to thinking now why bother (apart from the pleasure of building your own or a unique building etc).

I can see quite a few facsimiles of a certain diesels in the Duchy coming up, and even if you don't have space for a layout, the opportunities for a diorama are endless, with a Western, Warship or 45xx parked outside.

Resin casting and finishing seems to be coming on in leaps and bounds, and I can see a whole new area of railway modelling coming on, like military modelling, lots of lovely dioramas and vignettes.

Lack of space, time and even possibly skill is really no excuse anymore!

With the new 3d printers coming out, I think resin buildings will soon have some serious competition.

A drawing is a lot easier and way less expensive than an mould, you make the elevations, and only print on demand, so no models having to be discounted, just store the goods to make,

I think a serious revolution is almost upon us Maplin has one for under a thousand pounds already.

Time is one thing no modeller can make more of, no matter how clever.

Leaves more time for doing other things, and who knows, it might even mean a layout gets finished........for the first time ever

So what does he/she do with the time saved ? Start building the next layout ? This could end up on the philosophy forum !

Dennis

• RMweb Gold

Once the price had subsided a bit, I bought the main Sheffield Park buildings and am still amazed to have such models ready-to-plonk in such quality. I am also the proud owner of a Wadebridge signalbox, and one or two other lesser items. Not always cheap, but generally a good buy.

Thinner resin also appears as kits. I have some resin wagon kits from more than 30 years ago, as well as some nice French low relief building kits that I am in the process of building and painting. More than happy to accept that new 3D etc methods will usurp what we now enjoy in due course - that's progress, although the need for detail painting will always limit the market a little. In the meantime, RTP at this quality level deserves the success it is obviously enjoying.

So what does he/she do with the time saved ? Start building the next layout ? This could end up on the philosophy forum !

Dennis

Hmmmmmmmmm, how's about weathering, detailing, perhaps a bit of kit building, or perhaps just waste time.......on Internet forums!

Archived