REC Show Woking 14th & 15th September

brightspark

I have just noticed that there is no thread for this show that happens to be my local show.

The star of the show has to be Mostyn.

Even though it is my local this is generally quite a good event and it is the REC's 50th anniversary as well.

Plus I will be there playing trains as well on Swaynton for Millcliffe-on-Sea

Here is the link to the REC website show page.

For those coming by train it is a short walk to the venue.

Bus links are quite good especially on the Saturday.

For those coming by car, the problems of two years ago have now gone. There is a new bridge in place although the number of spaces has reduced. There is no match on at Woking FC ground so parking should be easy on nearby roads.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a bump as it is tomorrow and their 60th anniversary show - which I think is quite an achievement. (1953-2013) almost as old as me!

Hoping that I will find somewhere to park nearby this time and not a wasted journey. Line up looks good but will saving most of my pennies for Scale4um in a couple of weeks -still an odd paint pot, a few wheels, a piece of brass and the ever tempting books will no doubt find their way to my carrier courtesy of my flexible friend.

Unloading and setting up last night was....fun!

First it was raining, I mean really raining!!!! (four exclamation worth of rain). Layouts don't like rain so we did our best to cover it getting it out of store and into the van and then van into venue.

I got soaked!

To add to our woes, we were a man down due to a twisted ankle. DJS is not a young man and finds humping layouts about a bit beyond him. Fortunatly the good lads of the REC and Leisure centre helped out by finding us a trolley to get the layout sections into the hall and to help pick stuff up. Also thanks to members of the Mizens Railway (Thirdley) who having set up their layout lent us a helping hand.

Right I am off to clean track set up signals and fix a few things that have broken and come adrift.

Oh and I am going to add something.

A passenger will appear on the platform. (If I get time)

Also the disc signals have now been installed and should be working. I will have with me some stock of the kits should anyone be interested.

If you come by please stop and say hello.

Back from a good show though a little disappointed by the "bog" standard trade and not being able to purchase even the small list of items (as the only supplier of note forgot to bring part of his stand!) Still managed to pick up a couple of books I didn't intend to buy, that managed to reach out and grab my arm as I was passing - don't remember asking for them to be looked out for but nevertheless should be handy.

The show felt a little on the crowded side even with the overflow upstairs. I guess that was the four very large layouts. The always spectacular Gresley Beat; Mostyn which always underwhelms me (I can't put my finger on why) as all that P4 track is OTT yet it always runs smoothly; Broke Brick Mountain which just brings a smile to anyone's face - even if calling it modelling is stretching the mind a little; and that big 'O' roundy roundy (###### test track).

Given that I am always in awe of Gresley Beat probably the best layout was Swaynton for Milcliffe-on-sea.

Oh, despite turning up at 10:50 I rolled straight into a parking space within a few yards of the entrance - lucky for a change - well actually down to a very efficient and friendly car park marshal. Thanks.

As Woking is only around 20 miles away, I almost always go to this show.  There were several very good layouts and plenty of interest for me, even though I would not give some exhibits a second glance.  On the trade side, my major success was finding several Hornby coaches on sale that I had thought were no longer available.  When I arrived at just after 10.30, it seemed impossible to find a parking space but with a bit of local knowledge I was able to park in a side road and go into the venue on foot through the park.

A few problems with Swaynton today, but glad that we still managed to impress. The crowds were 3 deep at one point in the show But it seemed to quieten off in the afternoon.

Thanks to Dave Smith for helping us out today. This involved changing a motor in one of the locos and fixing up the valve gear on another. We were shorthanded and lacked a soldering iron, strong light and magnified glasses. Other problems where the warping of our fiddle yard cassettes that had been affected by the damp form yesterday.

We also had terminal problems with the spare controller used for shunting the yard. This means that we have to break with the rule that something must be moving all the time. The pick up goods will now just use the yard as a layby. Any feedback as to how this affects the perception would be welcome.

I did manage to get a look around in the afternoon, but didn't pick up the camera to record the event. Perhaps someone else can do that.

I have just got back from the fish'n'chip supper organised and laid on by the REC and Mizzens Railway. This arranged for the exhibitors and friends of the show. It's nice to be able relax and unwind. It is nice to find out how many friends you have in this hobby, even if you only nod at each other. I guess that it not just about the trains.

See you there tomorrow.

I enjoyed being virtually opposite Both Swaynton & the 'O' gauge roundy;-  I found the former beautifully observed, with the relatively simple-looking scenics very well executed, especially the extremely effective low-relief backscene buildings, which drew my eye. Very much a pleasure to observe!

The 'O' gauge just gave a myriad procession of superbly-built locos, romping round with impressively long trains of mostly equally well made stock.. Trainspotting in miniature, really, but I found the bulk of the models, combined with the clicketty-clack as they romped over the joints oddly therapeutic...

Archived