Hornby BR maroon/ crimson

Hilux5972

• RMweb Premium

Hi all.

I have a query. I recently purchased some Hornby BR maroon hawksworth coaches and a BR Gresley full brake coach. Now according to hornbys catalogue, both of these coaches are in BR maroon livery. However when next to each other, the Gresley looks almost dark plum in colour, whereas the hawksworths maroon looks correct to me. Does anyone which one is the closest to correct? It's not of major importance as the Gresley is going to be repainted to represent the vehicle that was part of the VSOE fleet in the 80's. but I am still intrigued by the contrast. Anyone have any insight thus?

Cheers, Hilux

Another can of worms just itching to be opened ...

I'm not familiar with the Hornby Gresleys but I do have a Hawksworth which looks to me to be in an acceptable shade of maroon.  All sorts of variables can affect the look of a coat of paint on a real coach - how long ago it was applied, what colour was underneath it, where it was painted and who mixed the paint are just four of them!  When I did O Level Chemistry back in 1964 (!) we dd not cover this topic but there are some knowledgeable folk on here [where are you, Brian Kirby, for one?] who know how paint works and why when it fades it can get darker before it gets paler.

There's an old saying: beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  When it comes down to it the issue of how right a colour is must be subjective. 

Chris

• RMweb Premium

Another can of worms just itching to be opened ...

I'm not familiar with the Hornby Gresleys but I do have a Hawksworth which looks to me to be in an acceptable shade of maroon.  All sorts of variables can affect the look of a coat of paint on a real coach - how long ago it was applied, what colour was underneath it, where it was painted and who mixed the paint are just four of them!  When I did O Level Chemistry back in 1964 (!) we dd not cover this topic but there are some knowledgeable folk on here [where are you, Brian Kirby, for one?] who know how paint works and why when it fades it can get darker before it gets paler.

There's an old saying: beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  When it comes down to it the issue of how right a colour is must be subjective. 

Chris

Whilst perfectly true about colour perception and changes over time, Hornby and Bachmann are in the main producing coaches in what they call "pristine", which to me means "ex-works". Therefore, the colour used should match the colour out of the tin or conform to the original specification. What happens later - darker or lighter or anything else - is a result of use which we all call "weathering". How we weather our coaches is up to each of us to match our operational preferences.

In general, I personally think Hornby's efforts for BR maroon and BR(S) green are far better shades than Bachmann's on its Mk1s.

Whilst perfectly true about colour perception and changes over time, Hornby and Bachmann are in the main producing coaches in what they call "pristine", which to me means "ex-works". Therefore, the colour used should match the colour out of the tin or conform to the original specification. What happens later - darker or lighter or anything else - is a result of use which we all call "weathering". How we weather our coaches is up to each of us to match our operational preferences.

In general, I personally think Hornby's efforts for BR maroon and BR(S) green are far better shades than Bachmann's on its Mk1s.

Without going into the long details and theory including the physics of colour reflection, with air drying cellulose that was used up until the 1970's in non sealed and humidity and temperature controlled paint booths I would be very surprised if any two coaches were ever exactly the same colour!

I agree. Ex-works / Pristine should also mean 'Gloss finish'

Archived