BR (SR) Shades of Green - which shades when?

Dogmatix

BR SR coaches (as portayed by Bachmann in their Mk1 range) were malachite green or a darker green - could someone please enlighten me as to which shade was used in which period? There must have been a time when the two greens were mixed in use - when would that have been?

The precise shade of Southern Region coaches is an inexact science. They weathered differently anyway. So in practice there are all kinds of dark green hues with varying tinges of yellows and blues.

Then there's the whole 'apparent colour' problem as well. Doubtless someone better informed than me can help you.  I presume your question is limited to post 1947?

• RMweb Premium

The two shades of green Bachmann have used to date are not meant to represent two different eras, they are merely two different efforts at trying to get it right (and failing on both occasions). The first go was to light and does look more like Malachite than BR green, however the shade they are using now is in most peoples view too dark.

• RMweb Premium

The two shades of green Bachmann have used to date are not meant to represent two different eras, they are merely two different efforts at trying to get it right (and failing on both occasions). The first go was to light and does look more like Malachite than BR green, however the shade they are using now is in most peoples view too dark.

Couldn't agree more. The current version of Bachmann BR(S) green is way too dark - must have lost them loads of sales. That said, I don't think there was 'a' shade of BR(S) green. I'd agree that the effects of the weather, time since the last panting and varnishing all altered colour. Also remember that the film stock used for photos and the printing processes in books can also change the colour we see. 

Archived