Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Aylestone Depot

shanks522

• 2 months later...

Hello all,

Aylestone is still here!  At the moment work commitments don't leave a lot of time for modelling but i am doing a bit here and there when i can.

Today i spent a little time cleaning up and thought it would be a good to photograph my latest additions.

First up the oh so ugly Railtrack 121, always had a soft spot for this one.

post-6774-0-80476400-1514582979_thumb.jpg

post-6774-0-91239900-1514582977_thumb.jpg

Another 60 has joined the ranks too.

post-6774-0-09939900-1514582982_thumb.jpg

Graham.

• Like 13

• 6 months later...

Hello all,

Long time no see.....

Having little or no time to work on my layouts has really put a dent in my modelling mojo, I really felt like selling up because my interest was disappearing. 

However, taking a break and leaving things alone for a while has given me a chance to sort out what i want to do in future.

Firstly i have far to many ideas! Trying to put all of these within an 8x8 bedroom doesn't work!

so my new approach is modular, i plan to build a generic fiddle yard that can be used with whatever layouts i build ( and theres going to be a few! ).

My time is precious and to speed things up i have bought some baseboards from Tim Horn, never used them before but I'm  extremly impressed so far! 

Aylestone Depot is going to be transferred to this new 5x2 baseboard, the depot will stay roughly as it is now but will have two running lines crossing the board behind the yard. The mainlines will be raised by about 20mm just to give the layout some depth, my next dilemma is wether to stick with code 100 or use code 75?

Hopefully some more frequent modelling now!

New Baseboard.

post-6774-0-71257100-1530456676_thumb.jpg

Rough idea of track plan 

post-6774-0-20290700-1530456641_thumb.jpg

Will try to keep this look of the depot.

post-6774-0-35692400-1530456614_thumb.jpg

Graham.

• Like 10

Thanks for posting Graham...

Just finished nights and i'm watching some of your Aylestone West videos on the TV. Hadn't seen your latest N stuff ( Auto shuttle etc) and so was nice to catch up... My loss of mojo has sort of been self imposed with moving rooms, the spare room was always going to be cramped, and is far too warm in the summer anyway. Couple that with work and returning the front room to a living room, my modelling has had to stop for a while.

Interesting to read about your plans going forward, and your comment about far too many ideas really struck a chord with me. Two years ago I was going to go around the garden in 00, then last year I started picking up some TTS locos to dip my toes into digital on a budget... Abandoned the Garden idea within a month or so and the TTS stuff has only been on a small test track so far. The Pink Floyd line " Plans that either come to nought, or half a page of scribbled lines " definitely applies to me. And that's not even counting the numerous N gauge wagon projects partially started.

But having lots of ideas as you say, I think, means that the good ones that come to fruition become really worth while. Anyway back to your Youtube channel for me now, and I know I'll get back into those wagons as soon as i've broke the back of the work in the living room. 

Always a pleasure to catch up with your layouts

Steve

Edited by Freight Connection
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

This is looking good Graham I like the modular idea, certainly gives you more scope. I think having modules would be great for film making (aka YouTube videos) you could follow a train on its journey recording it as it passes through the various modules (that’s what I’d do, anyway). Where are you going to store the various boards when there not in use?

I’m glad to see you’ve not given up on the hobby, I have always found your work very inspirational and what you can fit in N gauge onto a baseboard I’d class as some sort of witchcraft. I find an unrelated hobby (for me it’s comic book drawing) to get your teeth stuck into from time to time can be a welcome break when this one is getting a bit too much.

All the best

Jimmy

• Like 1

Thanks for posting Graham...

Just finished nights and i'm watching some of your Aylestone West videos on the TV. Hadn't seen your latest N stuff ( Auto shuttle etc) and so was nice to catch up... My loss of mojo has sort of been self imposed with moving rooms, the spare room was always going to be cramped, and is far too warm in the summer anyway. Couple that with work and returning the front room to a living room, my modelling has had to stop for a while.

Interesting to read about your plans going forward, and your comment about far too many ideas really struck a chord with me. Two years ago I was going to go around the garden in 00, then last year I started picking up some TTS locos to dip my toes into digital on a budget... Abandoned the Garden idea within a month or so and the TTS stuff has only been on a small test track so far. The Pink Floyd line " Plans that either come to nought, or half a page of scribbled lines " definitely applies to me. And that's not even counting the numerous N gauge wagon projects partially started.

But having lots of ideas as you say, I think, means that the good ones that come to fruition become really worth while. Anyway back to your Youtube channel for me now, and I know I'll get back into those wagons as soon as i've broke the back of the work in the living room. 

Always a pleasure to catch up with your layouts

Steve

Hi Steve, 

Thanks for the post, I think having lots of idea's is what makes this hobby so much more interesting.

Hows your N gauge layout? 

Graham.

This is looking good Graham I like the modular idea, certainly gives you more scope. I think having modules would be great for film making (aka YouTube videos) you could follow a train on its journey recording it as it passes through the various modules (that’s what I’d do, anyway). Where are you going to store the various boards when there not in use?

I’m glad to see you’ve not given up on the hobby, I have always found your work very inspirational and what you can fit in N gauge onto a baseboard I’d class as some sort of witchcraft. I find an unrelated hobby (for me it’s comic book drawing) to get your teeth stuck into from time to time can be a welcome break when this one is getting a bit too much.

All the best

Jimmy

Hi Jimmy,

Hopefully using smaller modules will like you say make filming etc interesting, I'm hoping that working in a smaller space means i might get things done a little faster. 

Storage wise, i can store at least two 5x2 boards, will work on more though.

Thank you for your comments about inspirational work, not sure i'd go that far but its fun to push the boundaries a little, reminds me i need to update the N gauge thread.

cheers

Graham.

Hi Steve, 

Thanks for the post, I think having lots of idea's is what makes this hobby so much more interesting.

Hows your N gauge layout? 

Graham.

My layout is stored safely at the moment in a spare room that desperately needs sorting. 

Can only echo the above comments about other interests or like you say, taking a bit of a break. I still get pleasure / and ideas from viewing the other layouts on here each week or so, when I can't get anything done on my own layout.

Regards - Steve

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hello all,

Old depot has been removed and baseboard cleared.

New one into position, its had a coat of paint and is awaiting a back scene, also had a mock up to make sure i like the position of everything. 

post-6774-0-99491200-1532895880_thumb.jpg

post-6774-0-83962800-1532895872_thumb.jpg

Graham.

• Like 7

Evening all, 

Disaster night! I'm using an ID back scene with a glue that is recommended from there site, Delux view glue.

read all the instructions, had the back board painted, sanded dead flat and also dust free, went to apply the paper and it resembles a rock wall!!! really not sure whats happened.

Then to add insult to injury, i was gluing some polystyrene down using a PU glue that comes from a spray gun applicator, caught the trigger by accident and i've sprayed the back scene! not to mention the houses that i was using to measure the depth!

Just about had enough so i've shut the door and will deal with it tomorrow, and modelling is supposed to be relaxing!!!! 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all,

After the complete disaster of the first back scene fitment i decided to try the polypropylene version, in my opinion much better, went on so much easier and no bubbles!

post-6774-0-60435200-1533757614_thumb.jpg

Also got these little beauties from Hattons, very impressive models indeed! 

post-6774-0-48628300-1533757653_thumb.jpg

Graham.

• Like 9

• 2 months later...

Hello all,

Aylestone depot is slowly coming together, i've been wiring up the track and reworking the building, nothing to outstanding but progress is being made.

Main reason for the post was to say that i'm thinning out and selling some of my collection, especially more modern locos and stock, if anyone wants more details and cheaper prices than Ebay please PM me. ( I've ok'd it with Andy Y ).

post-6774-0-69839100-1540321133_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Graham. 

post-6774-0-69839100-1540321133_thumb.jpg

Edited by shanks522
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...

Hello all, 

Day off so managed to do a bit,

First of many jobs was to cut down some Bachmann retaining walls to fit against the raised mainline, cutting was easy with a chop saw, problem came from them being curved! Much earlier in the thread i've shown how i bent them, now to to do it in reverse!

For those that missed it.

Start with one of my curved walls.

post-6774-0-31085900-1544990147_thumb.jpg

Using one of the good lady's pans, heat up some water and insert wall.

post-6774-0-81110800-1544990121_thumb.jpg

10 seconds or so is ample, remove with tongs, straighten then run under cold water. 

post-6774-0-76195300-1544990182_thumb.jpg

Graham. 

post-6774-0-31202200-1544990160_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

• 1 month later...

Hello all,

Unfortunately personal circumstances will be changing in the near future so i need to sell quite a bit of stock.

good news is that the layout will stay, i just need to stick to quite a rigid time frame and minimise my rolling stock.

I shall be putting nearly all of it on eBay but if anyone wants more info and a cheaper price,  PM me and i'll send a list of whats up for grabs.

Graham. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...