Minicraft Models 1872 Vulcan "Saddleback"

hartleymartin

Some years ago I bought the Minicraft Models 1872 Vulcan Saddleback locomotive plastic kit. I have seen a small picture of one that someone had converted to O scale standard gauge. Has anyone here done an O-16.5 conversion (or similar) of this?

The three 4-wheel coaches would be a quick and handy build for this scale!

post-6862-0-05942000-1378676463_thumb.jpg

Some years ago I bought the Minicraft Models 1872 Vulcan Saddleback locomotive plastic kit. Has anyone here done an O-16.5 conversion (or similar) of this?

The three 4-wheel coaches would be a quick and handy build for this scale!

The coaches sit nicely on Parkside Dundas 00 chassis code PC 64 with a set of Hornby spoked wagon wheels and some Evergreen channel along the bottom of the coach side.

The coach looks good!

I was rather hoping that someone had motorised the 2-4-0 locomotive though.

I did some measurements and found that slaters made suitable replacement wheels. If I ever do this conversion I'll save myself some bother and modify it into an inside cylinder 2-4-0 or perhaps a small-wheeled 0-6-0.

An excellent model, but not quite the conversion I had in mind!

For On30, the 2-4-0 wheelbase might be a bit long (it is about 12'6" in 7mm scale) so I am wondering if it would be more of a 2-6-0 in this gauge.

I've had my scale ruler and callipers over the model and I reckon that it would make a good (if small) standard gauge locomotive.

I decided to have a go at assembling the body of the locomotive - everything above the footplate, in anticipation of being a standard gauge version. I took this assembled body and compared to the Ixion Hudswell Clarke. It is actually slightly longer than the Ixion locomotive! I think that this would be a good narrow-gauge locomotive if you shortened the boiler so that the smoke box sat either just in front or in between the front of the two side tanks. This would fit on an 0-6-0 mechanism, otherwise could be adapted into a tram locomotive like the Glynn Valley Tramway locomotives.

The body of the locomotive is just on 6 scale feet wide in 7mm scale and will accomodate standard-gauge wheelsets. At this stage I will go ahead with this as a standard gauge 2-4-0, but with inside cylinders.

Archived