Diesel Shunters

• RMweb Premium

I run Hornby next to Bachmann (or Bachmann next to Hornby). Both types run OK, have had a few failers of both types in the past. Both look good and like an 08. Not keen on the Hornby opening doors and cab vent, these are a bit toy like for me.

Be aware with the Bachmann 08 that older models had the pick-ups arranged in a way that attracted a lot of dirt which eventually affects running quality.  These can be cleaned, but this involves removing the wheels to get to the pick-ups.  There is also a modification that can be done, as described under the "Pick-ups" heading about half way down the page here: http://grasslandsmodels.wordpress.com/tag/br-class-08/.  I have done this myself and it works very well.  I don't know whether the pick-ups have been modified on more recent Bachmann Class 08 releases.

My own opinion is that the Hornby model is slightly better in looks (more refined) but the Bachmann model is also an excellent Class 08.

Hornby mechanism, especially pickups, much superior at really low speed and under DCC - but think the Bachmann wins (just) on looks (sharpness of detail). For a shunting plank either does the job and can be snatched as a bargain at between £16-£25 on ebay. (not DCC fitted) Fitting a chip is fairly straightforward.

my apologies for slightly off topic, I've recently located my boyhood 60's era 08 labelled as Hornby Dublo Meccano Ltd, the chassis is labelled as 21056. I was expecting it to be completely dud but amazingly despite non-use for 40-45 or so years it does just about grumble along but its tripping out my power supply every few inches, if I clean it up and/or change the magnets (something suggested for this era motor) its still a 60's era chassis so one option I'd considered was swapping a newer chassis underneath it, but keeping the body (which is what I want to keep, despite its era). This is an 08 body with a bolt through the top that goes down into the chassis, does anybody here know if either of the current generation 08 chassis are reasonable fits for one of these old bodies, I'd prefer one that can be DCC'd in due course. Kentons post suggest current Hornby is DCC suitable, and the sharpness of the detail of the newer bodies isn't a concern here, but do either fit?

thanks in advance

• RMweb Premium

Hi 70b

The old Hornby Dublo models were never known for their running, I have had a few. From memory there is a bearing on the top of the motor which if losened or tightened can improve the running. Make sure the commutator is clean, the brushes are in good nick, and all the moving parts are well lubricted (but not over oiled). It might be a magnet problem. There people who will remagnetise old Hornby Dublo locos but don't ask me who and how much.

As for placing the body on a more modern chassis, I am not sure that is worth the effort. To get a chassis you would more than likely have to buy a complete locomotive and once you see the difference between the Hornby Dublo model and today's offerings I am sure you will feel what a waste of an excellent body as you disgard the new one.

I was terribly disappointed in the Hornby 08.  Looks wise, it is superb.  However, I fitted sound to mine and found it stalled frequently over points (which, in hindsight were probably not the best).  I did try to adjust the pickups but this didn't help.  I finally gave up and went for the Bachmann, swapping sound decoders - much better performance over pointwork, due, no doubt, to that sprung axle.  My only real beef with Bachmann's 08 is those plastic bonnet handrails - mine have broken.

John

• RMweb Gold

Be aware with the Bachmann 08 that older models had the pick-ups arranged in a way that attracted a lot of dirt which eventually affects running quality.  These can be cleaned, but this involves removing the wheels to get to the pick-ups.  There is also a modification that can be done, as described under the "Pick-ups" heading about half way down the page here: http://grasslandsmodels.wordpress.com/tag/br-class-08/.  I have done this myself and it works very well.  I don't know whether the pick-ups have been modified on more recent Bachmann Class 08 releases.

My own opinion is that the Hornby model is slightly better in looks (more refined) but the Bachmann model is also an excellent Class 08.

The early Bachmann ones had dodgy pick-ups; I have two. Both now have kit-style ones on paxolin bases and are totally trouble free. 

I operate two recent ones on a friend's layout from time to time and they seem to be fine - equal to my modified locos.

The sprung centre axle seems to give them the edge in running quality over the Hornby model but there's not a lot in it. The Hornby rods look better but I have Brassmasters replacements to go on my Bachmann locos when I get the proverbial Round Tuit.

Be cautious over buying s/h unseen - it's not unknown for a new one in an unwanted livery (whichever is cheapest from a discounter) to be purchased just for its chassis, the old one then being shifted on under the new body and in the new box.

John

Archived