Slates on a curved roof

F2Andy

Hi all

I am thinking about modelling a pub. The prototype stands on a corner, and the wall curves at that corner, as this image from Google maps shows:

post-5840-0-23852900-1378799659.png

That is easy enough, but the roof curves as well, forming a section of a cone. I am confident I can produce that shape in card, but the other buildings on the layout use the Scalescenes slate textures, and for consistency I would like to this to look the same. How do I get slate textures to fit around a conic section (without putting on each tile individually!).

I'd cut the strips as usual but at the curved part cut through the lowe half of the join between each slate, then apply a generous layer of Pritt and allow it to soak in thoroughly to soften the remaining paper which should bend enough. I think it will open up slightly and look quite realistic.

Good luck,

Doug

• RMweb Gold

Or, you could cut through the upper part of the join, soak as described, then slightly overlap the upper edges (these will be covered by the next row).

This way the tiles won't appear to be splayed out...

Stu

Edit : If you use a very slight V cut, then the upper edges should join without overlapping...

Thanks for the comments. I was hoping for something simpler. Cutting each tile is not that different to applying them individually. I will have a think before I commit to the project. Some fancy distortion of the texture paper in photoshop/GIMP might work, if I can get the maths right.

• RMweb Gold

Even if you can tweak the image, the paper won't lie flat around the sloped curve without cutting, or quite delicate stretching.

How many row of tiles will you need ( I'm guessing about 15 to 20) ?

If so, that's not an awful lot of cuts to splay the tiles out - just take your time. I find tiling roofs on a lap-tray in front of the telly quite relaxing and surprisingly productive.

Stu

Even if you can tweak the image, the paper won't lie flat around the sloped curve without cutting, or quite delicate stretching...

Why not? As Andy says, it's just a section of a cone. However, you will probably need to ensure that the slates in the lowest courses are the same width as those on the straight section of roof whilst the rest become progressively narrower towards the top. For a couple of real examples, see here and here.

Nick

• RMweb Gold

Ah, yes, a cone.

Sorry, I was imaginig something like the Slater's pavement sheets with the corner pieces, but for a cone the image itself would need to be skewed.

That would be quite a feat to achieve - plus you'd need two copies to allow the overlap of the tiles.

Stubby,

What you said originally should work, but don't cut the bottoms until they are glued in place.

I think I have seen a pic of Dougs where he has cut the slates last (Could stand corrected though)

Cut the V from the top side of the slates to form the cone and slope...just a bit of time and patience.

It will only be a shallow V.

Khris

Why not? As Andy says, it's just a section of a cone. However, you will probably need to ensure that the slates in the lowest courses are the same width as those on the straight section of roof whilst the rest become progressively narrower towards the top. For a couple of real examples, see here and here.

I had not thought of that, but that pushes me more to trying to warp the texture sheet, as that would have the narrowing slates.

To be honest by the time you have messed around playing with the sheet in Photoshop you may as well cut out the individual tiles and lay them, its actually not really a slow process once you get going as it will get narrower towards the top so each layer will be quicker than the last.

Cut out a load of slates ready, lay them out the right way up on you cutting mat, spread some Pritt Stick or similar on your plain roof and then pick up the slates using the point of you scalpel and apply, it really is quicker than you think.

Archived