I want everything, but don't have the space!

Whislter65

Kris

Oh dear I am stuck in a quandry,

The plan was based on a model railway called Owdham Central which I think was built by Satanic Mills for a customer in Dubai. 

What I have changed is the Engine shed and the sidings above the station and then added a few extra points so trains could leave the sidings and enter the up or down lines.

the sidings above the station was a Branchline sising next to the platfrom, the far one was next to a Brewary, and the two inbetween were for storage of carriages and freight.

I have tried to add a Goods yard below the station, and the idea is to have it two stories, where the vehicles collect the goods from the upper level, just like they did at Huddersfield. The rest of the sidings are purely for drop off and pick up

I think I need to walk away from this as I just can't seem to get a good mix. With the size I have most people would give their right arm for it, but in essence it's giving me a real headache

Another thing I missed off. The size of the board is 10ft 6" by 24"

I think that your space is very generous. That would be 21'X48 in' OO! Do you really have the time to make reasonable progress on such a large concern? Thats assuming you have the skills & experience. I'm not saying you don't but it's a thought. My second layout after starting with a 6X4 was 18X5'. It never got to even a proper running state before an enforced house move made me skip it. Though I did learn quite a lot from that mistake It's not one that I would wish to repeat. The size you have is rather larger than most clubs would give you for a group scheme. Another point your layout will be far more convincing if you set it in a region. There are plenty of through stations with terminal facilities . Goods yards & mpds that could be made to fit. Theres a good plan for Exeter central in Mr Freezers track plan book that would fit the bill in a more modest space. He also explains how you can compress a prototype plan without loosing facilities. I would have thought that around 10 X 6  would be plenty big enough (central operating well.) And give you a sporting chance to get the thing working in a reasonable timescale. One day you may have to dispose of your layout.  If it's a reasonable size & comes apart for transport you have a sporting chance to sell it & recover enough to start again! If only I had half your space! 

• RMweb Premium

The original thought of a through line running past a terminus got me thinking.  Doesn't make much sense if the through line is the principal route, Manchester Piccadilly has the through route to Oxford Road but that's the wrong way round.  However .....

Plenty of people have modelled a BLT with a smaller branch (twig?) running back out of the station, maybe to hide a fiddle yard.  But if the "twig" goes on past the BLT via a through platform, there are lots of opportunities - not least to complete a continuous run on what would otherwise be a U-shaped fiddle yard to terminus set-up.  The twig might allegedly service, e.g., a jetty, a steelworks, a mine, an army camp, an armaments depot, a public school up on the moors, etc., etc.  First naughty thought - it doesn't have to be the same thing each running session, so you could use lots of different stock on different occasions.  Second naughty thought - if your town had an allegedly successful football team with a stadium allegedly close by the facility allegedly served by the twig, you could run long football specials past your terminus made up of and hauled by almost anything (up to the 60s anyway) - it's my railway and now I've got a valid excuse!!

Back to XTrkCAD ......  :mail:  (How do you spell that?)

Archived