I want everything, but don't have the space!

Whislter65

I bet you have heard this a million times before......but I'm struggling try to decide what to include and what not to include.

I really want a terminal but really I dont have enough space, plus I wont be able to watch freight trains passing the station platform. I also like the idea of having a busy through station but my fear is I'll cram too much in without it looking realistic.

So, I was thinking of having a two track mainline which just passes a smaller town terminal. Would this of happened and does anyone have any examples of this please? 

At the terminal I could then have coal, cattle and goods, with trains turning round, and also having mainline trains passing by in a hurry :no:

regards

What era are you modelling?

I wanted a very similar thing to you, although sidings and through station instead of a terminus.

I'm sure I've seen through stations with bays for trains to terminate in. Would an option be to model the terminating part of a main through station?

Mark

Welcome to the wonderful world of railway modelling. It was years before I realised a full length HST in 4mm just wouldn't fit on a bookshelf layout which was all I had room for. I think we all go through several years of pencil planning. It's like some bizarre rite of passage. Compromise is a word I came to terms with fairly early on. Best of luck with the plans. Pete.

Well I had the same dilema. First of all you have to work out all of your constraints - this includes minimum radius acceptable as well as overall size. Once you have done that it pays to plan, draw (preferably in CAD) revise, redraw (repeat as long as necessary) and go for it.

This was my result (so far!) in a space just over 11' x 11', with the constraints of minimum curve second radius (and only on slow speed areas, mainline bigger) and as long a platform as possible, and each mainline platform must be able to access both mainline tracks in both directions in one movement.

LoftRailway8.jpg

Each platform can just handle 6 cars + a loco at each end (the incoming loco + the fresh one for the return journey) or 8 car HST/APT

There is a through station on the mainline, + you can have a freight train trundling past the terminus on the slow/goods avoiding line. In the flesh so to speak it looks something like this:

IMG_6229.jpg

Must have been getting a bit crowded in the goods yard if I decided to berth a tanker train in one of the platforms!

After I posted the thread I realised I have left too many questions, which I should of mentioned straight away.

1/ I am modelling in N Gauge

2/ The era is late 50's to late 60's

3/ Does not matter what part of the country it is.

I have already thought about terminating bay platforms, and it got me confused because then I would need platforms for the mainline, which in turn lessens the space I have for other things.

So my thought was mainline passing by with Terminus station on a seperate line. Then I could have the engine shed, turntable, coal yard, cattle pens and goods yard etc

I like the idea about 20 things I want, then whittle it down and down. Which is cool until I go to Leamington Spa Exhibition and see so many layouts, I then confuse myself again ....

How many people do exactly the same as me??

Write down 20 things/aspects/features/'pictures' you want.

Think about it for a day.

Then cut the list down to 10.

Think about it for a day.

Then cut the list down to 5.

Focus on those 5, and do nothing else.

and when you've built it - your imagination fills in the gaps.......................... :locomotive:

After I posted the thread I realised I have left too many questions, which I should of mentioned straight away.

1/ I am modelling in N Gauge

2/ The era is late 50's to late 60's

3/ Does not matter what part of the country it is.

I have already thought about terminating bay platforms, and it got me confused because then I would need platforms for the mainline, which in turn lessens the space I have for other things.

So my thought was mainline passing by with Terminus station on a seperate line. Then I could have the engine shed, turntable, coal yard, cattle pens and goods yard etc

I like the idea about 20 things I want, then whittle it down and down. Which is cool until I go to Leamington Spa Exhibition and see so many layouts, I then confuse myself again ....

How many people do exactly the same as me??

I might have missed it, but I don't think you've said what size space you're working in.

In N gauge you'll get quite a lot, how many walls have a door or access are you can't use. Is there a corridor int he middle or can you walk all around the outside?

You need graph paper, draw the room, make some paper scale items and move them around, a lot quicker than a computer.

Don't forget this is not a TARDIS, in your head you often believe you can get a lot more than is really possible. You need to leave dead spots between seperate areas, you will soon find ways to fill them, a gatekeepers house, a levelcrossing, a derelict,

Scale up the minimum sized trains you want, this will have a big impact on the layout. In 2mm I would consider a turntable. 

Hide some of the track curves under terrain so it does not look too roundy round.

Enjoy.

• RMweb Premium

I normally start by looking at plans for stations / yards to see what is similar to what I want. In the space that you have you will not be able to fit in a scale plan that fulfils your requirements but with some shortening you might get away with it. 

A location that springs to mind that might work for you is Devonport Kings road. I have often looked at this in the past and felt that it would be an interesting location to model. In the space that you have you could fit most of it in, even the freight line that went under the goods shed. What is missing from this is the terminus side of things.

Another thing I missed off. The size of the board is 10ft 6" by 24"

Hi,

to give you an idea of what you can get in that space, at 6min41sec you will see Loch Lochy from Pauline McKenna. This layout is 10ft by 2ft which includes the 180° hidden curves at either end, viewing length 8ft 

Hope that helps you

es grüßt

PC

i'm having exactly the same problem as you. i'd advise making a list of all the items you want in your layout, cut out the ones you don't NEED, and focus on the rest. someone above mentioned a through station with terminus bays, i am currently working on a plan similar to this, inspired a tiny bit by the south/western approach to Leeds. you could always have your terminus, in London say, and have a separate loop (maybe joined to the fiddle yard somehow) with a roundy roundy so you can watch trains go by as well.

A really clever scheme in the compromise department is to model only part of what is normally a very large space consuming feature. A classic is just the ends of the station platforms on view, most of the station being under and beyond a large road bridge and thus out of view. Much is suggested, and may be operated, but is not actually present.

Thank you for your suggestions. I could of made things so much easier if I had actually put all the relevent details down first. So let's just try again

N Gauge

Late 1950's to Late 1960's

Not bothered were in the Country

This is the bit I should have made clearer. Board size for viewing is 10ft 6" by 24". I have added space for a fiddle yard, so I do not need to cram 180 degree turns in at either ender. So I do have around 9ft 6" to play with.

I do like the last post about only having part of the station in view. That gives me food for thought.

regards

• RMweb Gold

10'6 gives you plenty of potential in N. The 2' width will be a bit more of a problem even with hidden curves.

Modelling just one end of the station is also a great space saver. So also is using two unconnected levels - a terminus at the higher level with a simple main line continuous run at the lower level.

Bit early for your stated period but Stamford East is a lovely terminus station with a secondary main line running past it.

More urban, but Birmingham Moor St was a terminus with main line running past (now with platforms).

Southern Electric? You could probably manage Holborn Viaduct and one end of Blackfriars (or even change history and include Ludgate Hill as well).

There used to be a terminal station right off and alongside the Brighton main line. I rather think it was called Coulsdon North.

One answer might be to imagine two pre-group lines meeting at a point where one has a terminus and the other just runs by. There might or might not be a connection for through traffic. There were all sorts of places a bit like this, which BR inherited and eventually pruned. Morecambe (Euston Road) was one such, where the LNWR terminated and the MR ran past. It was not finally closed until the middle 1960s.

I would suggest an urban setting - you can have your terminus as as separate station, and maybe the suggestion of a bigger one (platform ends emerging from under a bridge?) on the other line just a few yards further on.

Guys

After all the replies I have played around with Anyrail and I have come up with this. Could you please take a look and tell me whether this makes sense?

The urban side is the viewing side and were all the controls will be. The coloured area is the scenic section with water and bridges.(by order of the missus) !!

The dark coloured area will be a built up scene. So I am basing this on a busy through station, I still haven't decided on the area of the country it would be. Maybe North East or Southern region as I do like Art Deco Stations

The three lines at the top left, go into the eves and join the three lines at the bottom left. I couldn't add them on anyrail unless I started again.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated

urban1_zpsf4c482c6.jpg

I don't understand your plan - are the three lines supposed to loop around to join up on the left hand side?

If not why not put the top through lines at a low level then loop them under your station?  Currently anything you run on them has to simply stop and run backwards to the fiddle yard - doesn't make sense to me operationally (unless there is a second fiddle yard you are not showing us).

Why not make the station a Terminus in this instance?

• RMweb Premium

You will find it hard to get at the lines at the back to clean them or to recover locos, coaches, wagons etc when they fall off, which as a certain law states will happen. 

• RMweb Premium

I don't think that there is anything that would stop the layout working, and if (a key thing) you like it that should be enough. 

To my eyes the layout does not look right. It seems like there is a continental flavour to parts of the plan. The scissor crossing is unusual, the branch leaving the main line without an obvious bay or through branch platform makes thing harder to use. 

In terms of the number of sidings and the spacing between them means that there is no way that most traders could reach goods in them. 

These come back to your first problem, you want lots but have limited space. 

Archived