That looks pretty damn good Colin. I understand your slight disappointment re: the joining up, but taken as a whole, that's an impressive looking arrangement and I totally understand the need for "bespoke". Onwards and upwards.

Had considered getting Marcway to do me a bespoke pointwork flow for a remaking of 'Aldersbrook', my LTSR & NLR layout.  Do you think Colin that the outlay was worth it in view of the 'jiffling' (wonderful word!) that will be needed?

• RMweb Gold

I think so, given my (perceived) inability to make track as good as that.

Peco code 75  £200

Marcway off the shelf and lay them yourself £350

C&L kits about £450 plus my inability to make them

Marcway bespoke £650

I really wanted the track on the Burghclere section to be better than Peco because it's the prototypical section of the layout. I really don't think I can solder to the standard necessary to make my own track so I went to look at Marcway. Liked what I saw in their ready to lay range. I did think quite hard whether to go with the bespoke service as it was quite a bit more, but I am pleased I did. The difference is that the whole layout flows together and it looks much more like a prototype installation and less like a set of points joined together. The communication with Marc is not great - he's quite old-style but then I remember his adverts in Railway Modeller when I was a teenager, and I feel like an old git myself. To give an idea of timescales I went to see him on the Saturday of the Donny Show, 8th Feb, agreed to go ahead the following week and here we are delivered a month later.

Hope that helps, happy to do more offline by PM if you are interested

• Like 3

That does look good, Colin. That's an interesting price comparison you've posted there too. I wonder how much the station throat for Waverley West would cost?! 

I would need to improve my jiffling skills though. I do have some experience of that but probably not enough. Did Marcway know the three sections were to be joined up in that way? If so, it's something they really should have checked for themselves. A month for delivering that doesn't seem too bad though, as it certainly looks like a fair amount of work has gone into it.

Cheers

Dave

Out of curiosity, did you specifically request the extremely-long timbers? On the prototype they'd usually use as short of timbers as possible, as the turnout timbers (12" wide) were quite expensive. I think I remember reading somewhere (probably something Martin said on the Templot forum) that companies usually only stocked timbers up to 30' (could be wrong on the number), and that any that needed to be longer had to be special-ordered.

It's too bad the tracks didn't line up--it's an impressive arrangement. Did you email/phone Marcway about it?

Edited by mightbe

• RMweb Gold

That does look good, Colin. That's an interesting price comparison you've posted there too. I wonder how much the station throat for Waverley West would cost?! 

I would need to improve my jiffling skills though. I do have some experience of that but probably not enough. Did Marcway know the three sections were to be joined up in that way? If so, it's something they really should have checked for themselves. A month for delivering that doesn't seem too bad though, as it certainly looks like a fair amount of work has gone into it.

Cheers

Dave

It was actually Marcway's suggestion to split into three. The only stipulation I made was the split in the 4 track section which was a planned baseboard joint. Like you, I think they should have checked and I'm trying not to be too "glass half full" about it

• RMweb Gold

Out of curiosity, did you specifically request the extremely-long timbers? On the prototype they'd usually use as short of timbers as possible, as the turnout timbers (12" wide) were quite expensive. I think I remember reading somewhere (probably something Martin said on the Templot forum) that companies usually only stocked timbers up to 30' (could be wrong on the number), and that any that needed to be longer had to be special-ordered.

It's too bad the tracks didn't line up--it's an impressive arrangement. Did you email/phone Marcway about it?

No I did not ask for it and I will be cutting those bits out. I confess I misunderstood when he said he would continue sleepers across the pointwork - I just thought he meant actually on the pointwork  (for example at the crossover). It does add useful rigidity prior to laying, but doesn't look right. I shall be looking for advice on the best cutting method. My shortlist is knife, cutting disc on mini drill and Xurons. Xurons wont work if I lay it before cutting, so I am wavering towards laying first then cutting with mini drill at present unless anyone thinks otherwise. There are a couple of sleepers that are excess to requirements so I have a couple of guinea pigs.

I have not given them feedback yet. Firstly I am trying to get straight in my head how grumpy I ought to be, and secondly because he does not do email so I need to find time to ring him, which is very hard for me.

• RMweb Gold

A photo or two of some Peco track next to the Marcway stuff would be good for comparison if you have some Colin... he says nicely.

I only have code 100 but will pop to the man cave and do a comparison when I finish watching the cricket highlights and catching up on here

Colin, I may be reading something between the lines that isn't there, but I'm starting to think you're struggling to be cheerful about this... if you have any issues, get them resolved with Marcway. Do not just put up with something almost great, but not quite. Especially as you've paid quite a sum for it.

• RMweb Gold

Pete you are spot on. I really want to enjoy the biggest single purchase I have ever made on a model railway, and I am sure once it's laid and ballasted it's going to look head and shoulders better that Peco. Unfortunately several things have conspired to take the shine off my purchase, and I think I am going to send the shop an email and ask one of his techy savvy collegues to print it off for Marc to read.

Thanks mate

Edited by colin penfold

• RMweb Gold

A photo or two of some Peco track next to the Marcway stuff would be good for comparison if you have some Colin... he says nicely.

Here you go Dave. Peco Code 100 medium radius vs Marcway

post-12721-0-74380100-1425930052_thumb.jpg

post-12721-0-92316700-1425930060_thumb.jpg

post-12721-0-57564600-1425930069_thumb.jpg

post-12721-0-88632000-1425930078_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

when I finish watching the cricket highlights

That helped the mood too :this:

Thank goodness the Welsh weren't in the World Cup or England would have been the fourth best home country  instead of third  :offtopic:

Hi Colin,

My thoughts are that I think it would be worthwhile listing the problems, and misunderstandings to Marcway, and give a reasonable date for a response. If the response is not satisfactory, then I would then decide how to further pursue the matter. It helps to  have some idea of the preferred resolution before sending the letter - e.g. partial refund, complete rebuild, whatever. They would have the opportunity to make me happy!

However, It may well be that once the long sleepers are cut, it will all line up OK, but I would not do any alterations until the reply was received from Marcway.

If and when it gets to sleeper cutting time, I would use a diamond disc in the mini drill, and it would be easier to do that from the underside, so that the rail is not incidently scuffed by the chuck. You can more easily mark out the cut lines with a fine felt tip pen, or a pencil on the underside.  Dekton cutting discs are very good for the money, and do not tend to shatter http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dekton-DT60914-Diamond-Tipped-Cutting/dp/B00EBRSNES/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1425939703&sr=8-2&keywords=dekton+cutting+discs#productDetails

It will be interesting to see how Marcway respond.

Best wishes,

Ray

Like others said, it looks miles better than Peco, and for the money you paid you should be satisfied with it. Certainly enquire further. 

If you don't like his response, I'd look at cutting away the excess copperclad. I'm not as convinced that the alignments will sort themselves out though--you might need  to trim away at the crossover tracks to get a good alignment.  It *might* be necessary to separate the formation into smaller chunks to get them aligned well.

• Like 1

That helped the mood too :this:

Thank goodness the Welsh weren't in the World Cup or England would have been the fourth best home country  instead of third  :offtopic:

I think you must be mistaken Colin. England didn't compete at this year's World Cup.  :jester:

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

All six boards for Southampton and Burghclere (both levels, one side of the cellar)

All drilled and bolted together, and holes prepared for joining to the legs with captive bolts (instead of fixing to the wall, leaving a gap against damp.)

I have also cut to size the side and back pieces which will be fixed to the boards before they go into position.

post-12721-0-46783900-1428170449.jpg

• Like 3

Looking good Colin. Another step forwards. Have you used alignment dowels as an aid to joining the boards?

Edit: forget the stupid question about dowels... I'm forgetting this is permanent!

Edited by Pete 75C

• RMweb Gold

I did think about it Pete, permanent or not. I decided in the end that some decent 8mm bolts would suffice. One more little job, screwing on the sides and backs, and I'm weatherproof for a while - so expect a dry spell!!!

• Like 2