Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Ferrari has two number one drivers

EddieB

Atleast neither of them would want to drive with Hamilton, the biggest sook... :cry: (although Alonso did..., but Kimi couldn't stand Lewis's whinging)

Atleast Ferrari will have two mature drivers next season, who think with their heads.

Cheers, Gary.

Atleast neither of them would want to drive with Hamilton, the biggest sook... :cry: (although Alonso did..., but Kimi couldn't stand Lewis's whinging)

Atleast Ferrari will have two mature drivers next season, who think with their heads.

Cheers, Gary.

you obviously have a problem with the guy, but what you can't doubt is his talent :)

you obviously have a problem with the guy, but what you can't doubt is his talent :)

Could say that... Over the years I have seen drivers come and go and I find that the drivers, like Alonso and Webber, who started their F1 careers off at Minardi and 'done' the hard yards tend to be a much more conservative and thorough driver. These drivers, drive with guts and determination to make it to a top team. Whereas the ones that come into a top team (Hamilton/McLaren), in their first year, have just been 'granted'. I'm sure if Hamilton started off at Minardi, or for that matter, put him in at Marussia or Caterham, he possibly wouldn't be driving in F1 the following year... Michael Schumacher is another driver that fits in the same catergory as Alonso and Webber. He came into F1, after being spotted by Eddie Jordon (although funded by Mecedes for one race), before being poached by Benneton, then to Ferrari. Michael too showed his talent in a lesser team, although he wasn't backed by the likes of Ron Dennis and Schumacher had little or no money, but a bucket load of sheer talent.

I'm not knocking Hamilton's talent, yes he can drive, but he is seriously a big sook.

Cheers, Gary.

I get your point about Webber but Alonso was already in the Benetton/renault stable well before he made his F1 debut as Flavio was already his Manager at Minardi. He had 1 year at Minardi and 1 testing for Benetton/renault so it hardly qualifies him as someone who Grafted amoung the also rans for long.

Talking of Schumacher would that be the works backed Mercedes driver who joined the team that had won the Canadian Grand Prix (all be it by a bit of luck) with John Barnard as the Designer, Ross Brawn as the technical chief, his mechanic was Pat Symonds and it was all run by Tom Walkinshaw? A very mediocre line up indeed ;)

Mmm .Schumi nearly always had traction control ,often illegal..Thats not hearsay thats fact .I also know some races were deliberately blown by Ferrari when other  teams  had overwhelming proof of traction control useage . When he came back  there was an enforcable traction control policy via FIA  sealed control boxes .Suddenly he was not so hot .Probably heavier fuel loads also didnt go with his style .he had had a set of rules written round him and didnt like it when they werent

Most of the great drivers have speed.Its a term used by race people  to describe the fact a certain driver  is not just fast in terms of wins etc but the fact they can shove in that little bit extra  and above what is required .A good example is Ross Brawn asking Button for a few quick laps .He got them and Button won  the tyre stop race .When he asked the same of Barrichello he got nothing ..some drivers just have it ..A driver can win all kinds of championships ,be a regular ace, and still not have speed.Alonso ,Button,Hamilton ,Kimi  to some extent ,Vettel has it buckets  ,Mika .Not sure Hill had it ,Berger didnt ,.Massa should have had it , late braking he was amazing to watch at testing all glowing brakes and smoke .I think Maldonado has it in a good car .De Resta doesnt .Ricciardo ,a really nice guy ,may or may not have it.Perez is just another Massa .If he wins a championship it will be because others have lost it  .We will see.,Sato was blistering in F3 and fairly useless in F1 .

I agree Hamilton hasnt paid his dues .When he was interviewed in 2007 he moaned about being overtaken on the outside by some one .No-one does that to me was the gist of his comments .i thought 'well you have along way to  fall sunshine"

Martin

• RMweb Premium

Mmm .Schumi nearly always had traction control ,often illegal..Thats not hearsay thats fact .I also know some races were deliberately blown by Ferrari when other  teams  had overwhelming proof of traction control useage . When he came back  there was an enforcable traction control policy via FIA  sealed control boxes .Suddenly he was not so hot .Probably heavier fuel loads also didnt go with his style .he had had a set of rules written round him and didnt like it when they werent

Most of the great drivers have speed.Its a term used by race people  to describe the fact a certain driver  is not just fast in terms of wins etc but the fact they can shove in that little bit extra  and above what is required .A good example is Ross Brawn asking Button for a few quick laps .He got them and Button won  the tyre stop race .When he asked the same of Barrichello he got nothing ..some drivers just have it ..A driver can win all kinds of championships ,be a regular ace, and still not have speed.Alonso ,Button,Hamilton ,Kimi  to some extent ,Vettel has it buckets  ,Mika .Not sure Hill had it ,Berger didnt ,.Massa should have had it , late braking he was amazing to watch at testing all glowing brakes and smoke .I think Maldonado has it in a good car .De Resta doesnt .Ricciardo ,a really nice guy ,may or may not have it.Perez is just another Massa .If he wins a championship it will be because others have lost it  .We will see.,Sato was blistering in F3 and fairly useless in F1 .

I agree Hamilton hasnt paid his dues .When he was interviewed in 2007 he moaned about being overtaken on the outside by some one .No-one does that to me was the gist of his comments .i thought 'well you have along way to  fall sunshine"

Martin

Still bitter about Adelaide 94? :no:

"Most of the great drivers have speed.Its a term used by race people  to describe the fact a certain driver  is not just fast in terms of wins etc but the fact they can shove in that little bit extra  and above what is required .A good example is Ross Brawn asking Button for a few quick laps .He got them and Button won  the tyre stop race .When he asked the same of Barrichello he got nothing ..some drivers just have it ..A driver can win all kinds of championships ,be a regular ace, and still not have speed.Alonso ,Button,Hamilton ,Kimi  to some extent ,Vettel has it buckets  ,Mika .Not sure Hill had it ,Berger didnt ,.Massa should have had it , late braking he was amazing to watch at testing all glowing brakes and smoke .I think Maldonado has it in a good car .De Resta doesnt .Ricciardo ,a really nice guy ,may or may not have it.Perez is just another Massa .If he wins a championship it will be because others have lost it  .We will see.,Sato was blistering in F3 and fairly useless in F1" .

Martin

I agree with some of these points, but some of these drivers mentioned above were/are the 2nd driver or in other terms, 'a rear gunner'. What would be interesting is to put all these drivers into an identical one make, controlled spec, racing series. I don't mean anything like the Race Of Champions, but lets say, Formula Vee of Formula Ford. Have a quali session followed by a decent length race. Something similar to the old A1 GP, (although that did depend on your cash flow and the team around the car). I think this would be very exciting to watch, the best (World Champs) up against the almost rans... This would definately sort out the talent quest.

I think that a drivers true potential really rears its head during wet races. Wet weather always sorts the boys from the men.

Cheers, Gary.

Archived