Hunslet Diesel at Consett

Morning

Found whilst dropping in at the Beamish Transport blog. The show the first of the new Hunslet built diesel locomotive fleet at Consett Iron Works.  No.1 is shown, works number 3504 and built in 1947 (from when the photos would, presumably, date).

The relevant entry can be found here:

http://beamishtransportonline.co.uk/2013/09/general-ti-news/

The pictures are not only interesting for the locomotive, but for the general environs of the works and the accompanying slag ladles. In 4mm, of course, Judith Edge can provide a kit: http://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/judithedge/kit/140

Adam

I think I know the picture you mean Brian, but my suspicion is that the design was pure Hunslet derived from their early efforts before the war; much like the Austerity saddle tank. I don't have any reference material relating to WD locomotives so I'll have to leave that to others to answer however.

Adam

Good post Adam. That's the first photograph I've seen showing a mix of 4 wheeled and bogie slag ladles in a single train. The brick building under construction in the background of the first photo was the new power plant, generating steam, electricity and the blast for the blast furnaces.

• RMweb Premium

The first of this type was Mersey Docks No32, delivered in 1944 to replace a Barclay fireless loco lost to enemy action. This was the first Hunslet 0-6-0DM with the Gardner 8L3 engine, mechanically the design continued through all this type up to the BR 05 with various different cab and engine casing designs. This is just about our worst selling kit, possibly because our dispaly models are both painted MDHB but it was produced in fairly large numbers for UK and overseas use, including 3'6" and metre gauge examples for Africa.

Michael Edge

Judith Edge kits

• RMweb Premium

We have found that it's completely impossible to predict which kits will sell well and which won't. The Hunslet 0-8-0 is another very poor seller, the most popular kit (just - RH 0-4-0DM is catching up) is the NER ES1 Bo-Bo. Of the electric locos the EB1 is the slowest selling kit.

You do see quite a few of the Rustons made up and running around the place which is testament to the popularity and ease of build. I suppose the brutish Hunslet 0-8-0 is no great surprise (though I seem to remember you saying that the YEC 0-8-0 does quite well; presumably because of the Spanish connection). I'll have to see where I'm at once I've finished my next couple of loco projects - there's one of your Thomas Hill 0-6-0s gradually working its way through the paintshop for example. That's a very nice and the designed in full compensation works really rather well; even the very extensive handrails didn't cause too much grief!

Adam

Wasn't this a design that originated with the War Department during WW2? I'm sure I remember seeing a photo of a very similar looking loco being unloaded from a Landing Craft on to one of the Normandy beaches just after D-Day.

The locos you're thinking of were an Andrew Barclay design for the Ministry of Supply and built by a variety of manufacturers. There's one of this type preserved at Foxfield which did land on the beaches of Normandy http://homepage.ntlworld.com/foxfield/wd123.htm

Here's a thumbnail copy of the photo you might be referring to

post-8705-0-11930400-1380016242.jpg

Archived