Settle and Carlisle

Roger Sunderland

• RMweb Premium

They were built by a group of Ukrainian model builders who are doing some of the buildings for the layout. The general standard is good but they do have some difficulties with dimensions, in the case of the Garsdale platform buildings they were not told how high to make them and so based dimensions on domestic internal door height. I had to take the canopies off the island platform buildings to get away with them - they were below coach roof height.

It's not easy doing it this way (although it is cheaper), none of them speak English, I don't speak Ukrainian or Russian and they are a long way away. More recent work from them includes the coal hole for Upperby and the Citadel station footbridge - I made sure they had better information and dimensions this time.

post-1643-0-64398000-1390998722_thumb.jpg

post-1643-0-41931400-1390998738_thumb.jpg

Next job is the wall which used to support the roof outside platform 1 at Citadel, this is over 4m long and 140mm high, I can't wait to see how they pack it for transit in airline hand baggage.

• RMweb Premium

They were built by a group of Ukrainian model builders who are doing some of the buildings for the layout. The general standard is good but they do have some difficulties with dimensions, in the case of the Garsdale platform buildings they were not told how high to make them and so based dimensions on domestic internal door height. I had to take the canopies off the island platform buildings to get away with them - they were below coach roof height.

It's not easy doing it this way (although it is cheaper), none of them speak English, I don't speak Ukrainian or Russian and they are a long way away. More recent work from them includes the coal hole for Upperby and the Citadel station footbridge - I made sure they had better information and dimensions this time.

attachicon.gifIMG02413-20131120-0922.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG02412-20131120-0920.jpg

Next job is the wall which used to support the roof outside platform 1 at Citadel, this is over 4m long and 140mm high, I can't wait to see how they pack it for transit in airline hand baggage.

Michael, this layout is a massive undertaking, by the looks of it, and of all things dear to me, as I spent my whole youth on Carlisle station and trying to get into Kingmoor and Upperby sheds. Do you think these Ukranian modellers would consider repeating the station buildings? If so how would I approach them, and no I don't speak Russian or Ukrainian either!

Most impressed by the footbridge, in fact the whole thing I've seen so far.

• 1 month later...

Archived