00 / 4mm pigeons or doves does anyone make them?

Rob Hayes

• RMweb Premium

Dart casting use to make some, I cannot find them on their up to date list. I did add them to Hanging Hill by the loco shed.

They came in a packet with some other wild life and smaller birds which I used to represet sparrows. You cannot have a layout based in London with a few Cockney Sparras. There was also what looked like a kestrel, so I placed that on the fence on the front of the layout. When punters saw the prototype diesels I had (pre Heljan locos) appear on shed, I would often be asked "Here mate, you got a Kestrel?". "Yes he is front of you", I would reply pointing to the model bird.

Hi there Gravy Train I would be interested to learn more about those. The more realistic the better.

Thanks for all the other info too everyone. I guess I could use milliput and a few shades of paint. Pigeons come in all shapes and sizes but even the biggest size would be extremely small in 4mm now as I have thought about it some more.

I guess I could use a grain of rice ahah.

• RMweb Premium

Preiser birds in use here.  Yes they're tiny and under the scrutiny of a macro lens they don't look brilliant but to the naked eye and perched in a few strategic places they bring a static scene to life.

• RMweb Premium

I have a pack of whitemetal Wood Pigeons from Off-Line which I picked up at Porthmadog [Narrow Gauge Spring] show a few years ago. I've not opened it yet (round tuit job) but they look good. I'm not sure if they are still in business, I couldn't find them on the Internet when I looked a year or two ago, but the address on the header card says "RW Stephens, 1 Anson Drive, Sholing, Southampton, Hants, SO19 8RP". 

Archived