Inclined Plate Girder Bridge - How?

Hi everyone, I wonder if anyone can help me find out how a plate girder bridge was constructed across a cutting on a slope.

Everything I have looked at, so far, on RMweb and in the reference books I have, show or write about bridges on the flat. My layout Salcombe Harbour is based in South Devon and I am trying to put a lane along the upper slopes of a hill and then turn down to cross the railway and on round the corner to the harbour.

post-8259-0-72947900-1380202046_thumb.jpg

Would the bridge be constructed as above, with the road levelling out across the bridge and then continuing down the slope. Making both piers the same height but putting the upper road in a gradually deepening cutting to cross on the horizontal.

post-8259-0-20309300-1380202046_thumb.jpg

Or would they have built the top of the piers with an angle to match the slope as per the top example.

Or would they have made each pier a different height with horizontal tops and have the girder section slope down but have the end sections horizontal to rest on the piers as per the lower example and highlighted in dark pencil.

The more I look into it flat seems the most common but I'm sure I've seen examples of the inclined girder bridge, especially across single track branches.

If anyone can help throw some light on this a would be very grateful. Apologies for the rough sketches.

Many thanks

Andy

Edited to make sure piers are vertical in pictures, many thanks Glorious NSE for pointing that out.

Yeah I here what you are saying, I think a combination of the second two designs would be correct as they are basically the same thing, the main thing is that the piers are vertical with the bridge deck following the grade of the slope.

In grand style, the Lickey Incline crosses the A448 at 1:37 (as any skoolboy knos).  The road is cambered due to a slight left hand curve and is rising in this view towards Redditch, so very little of this structure is plumb or level.

post-5868-0-69742800-1380203462_thumb.jpg

post-5868-0-69742800-1380203462_thumb.jpg

Many thanks to those that have replied so far. I have corrected the drawing verticals, which, as Campaman said, were created by an incorrectly scanned picture. Funnily enough Glorious NSE, I looked at Saltash but it's very difficult to tell from Google Earth or Maps how the bridge is constructed. I'll have another look and also try and visit when I am next in Devon.

BG John

Is Llandysul any help?

http://www.disused-s...sul/index.shtml

Thanks for this BG John. The picture is quite clear and it was one that never appeared in any Google search I did, no matter what words and terms I used for the search.

Edwin_m

There's one at Diggle that is an inspiration for something I have modelled, which looks like the second example assuming the piers are vertical.  I realise this isn't GWR!

Many thanks for that. I will definitely have a look at that one.

I can also see I am going to have to try and get L.V. Woods book Bridges for Modellers. It's Scaleforum this weekend in Aylesbury i'll see if they might have one there. Meanwhile if anyone has further examples or ideas, or has built a model I would be very interested in hearing about it.

Once again many thanks for your help.

Andy

I can also see I am going to have to try and get L.V. Woods book Bridges for Modellers. It's Scaleforum this weekend in Aylesbury i'll see if they might have one there. Meanwhile if anyone has further examples or ideas, or has built a model I would be very interested in hearing about it.

You may also be interested in the new book from the Scalefour Society:

"A  Modeller’s  Guide  to  Civil Engineering  Structures  by  John  A. Smith

THE  SOCIETY  is  pleased  to  announce their  latest  book,  which  should  be available  for  sale  at Scaleforum  later this  month.    This  book  is  a  first;  it  is published  as  a  CD,   readable  on  your computer  screen,  which  allows  for  a large  and  detailed  book  to  be  made available at an affordable cost.

Our  model  railways  have  one  thing in common whether they are steam-era historical  layouts  or  are  up-to-date systems  running  the  latest  traction technology.  That one factor is the civil engineering works that are under, over and either side of our trackwork.   In  this  book,  the  author  addresses the basics of civil engineering that can be encountered on British railways and through  a  series  of  diagrams  outlines the  basics  of  design  considerations  as well as illustrating the various styles of bridges and other structures.

As  well  as  chapters  covering  a comprehensive  range  of  structures, bonus  files  are  included  that  feature some  prototype  and  model photographs  by  the  well-known modeller,  Richard  Chown  and  some photographs  of  prototype  structures from Mark Tatlow. This disk-based book is simple to use and allows you access to a wide range of exceptionally  useful  information  for  the modeller working in any scale or gauge.

Price per disc is £7.00"

Review copies have been sent to the various magazines, although other than the current Rail Express I haven't seen any published.

If you're visiting Scaleforum, come over to the Society Stand and have a chat about the contents of the book...

Cheers

Paul Willis

Scalefour Society Deputy Chairman

• RMweb Gold

Unless it's an optical illusion this is yet another variant - are the flanges (?) vertical or perpendicular to the beam? 

I think the problem (optically) is that the two lots of 'upright' flanges don't look parallel to each other - and my angle of view (from the Down platform) doesn't help either.  If/when I get back down there I'll try a pic from the Up platform and from the road as well.

Andy

Page 111 of his book shows a girder bridge on a "considerable angle" apparently near Teignmouth, copyright prevents me posting an image and I can'y find the original on google earth - sorry

My last post seems to have disappeared into the ether......

at Teignmouth there are several sloping bridges in the station area including the high one which features in many photographs,

I think these are of GWR build, probably date from 1895 when the line was doubled here and the station rebuilt,

edit, here is an arty shot that shows the location of some of them, though no worthwhile detail

post-7081-0-44118200-1380308918_thumb.jpg

Teignmouth station, looking towards Newton Abbot, taken 1/3/2011

cheers

2nd edit  here is one of the bridges west of Teignmouth, albeit a footbridge 

post-7081-0-81433600-1380310761.jpg

47301 heads west on a summer saturday, 21/7/84

Andy

It is perfectly acceptable to have a steel or iron girder bridge on an incline.  For what it is worth you have to have the sliding bearing at the top; but I am assuming you are not too excited about this as it will be invisible!

Quite how the abutments would be dealt with will depend on the nature of the situation; particularly the incline that you are putting on the road (I assume you are doing an overbridge?).  The pictures below show Divie Viaduct at Dunphail which formerly had the Highland's original mainline go over it at (I think) 1:50.  You can see that the main parapet is much lower at the north end than the south; as the deck of the bridge has droped the couple of feet difference and they kept the stonework courses level.

post-7769-0-32865500-1380570880_thumb.jpg

north end parapet

post-7769-0-42280100-1380570895_thumb.jpg

south end parapet; showing the relative drop

Alternatively; as the picture of the footbridge at Teignmouth from Rivercider shows you get the capping stones on the pier level and then the parapets to the approach abutments following the slope of the road.  As a final alternative, particularly for steep slopes, you get both the parapets and the capping stones at an incline as per the Llandysul pictures from BG John.

Here's the Saltash one, taken in July 2011 and clearly in need of some TLC (yes, that is a hole you can see) -

attachicon.gifDSCF3475.jpg

Many thanks for the picture Mike. It appears to show the ledge that the bridge sits on to be level on the horizontal plane, with enough height to hold the stone or concrete pads the bridge sits on and the bridge itself so that the deck is level with the road surface. The great thing this picture shows is the retaining wall which I could incorporate into the build as I assume the track starts to rise out of the valley within the fiddle yard.

You may also be interested in the new book from the Scalefour Society:

"A  Modeller’s  Guide  to  Civil Engineering  Structures  by  John  A. Smith

THE  SOCIETY  is  pleased  to  announce their  latest  book,  which  should  be available  for  sale  at Scaleforum  later this  month.    This  book  is  a  first;  it  is published  as  a  CD,   readable  on  your computer  screen,  which  allows  for  a large  and  detailed  book  to  be  made available at an affordable cost.

Our  model  railways  have  one  thing in common whether they are steam-era historical  layouts  or  are  up-to-date systems  running  the  latest  traction technology.  That one factor is the civil engineering works that are under, over and either side of our trackwork.   In  this  book,  the  author  addresses the basics of civil engineering that can be encountered on British railways and through  a  series  of  diagrams  outlines the  basics  of  design  considerations  as well as illustrating the various styles of bridges and other structures.

As  well  as  chapters  covering  a comprehensive  range  of  structures, bonus  files  are  included  that  feature some  prototype  and  model photographs  by  the  well-known modeller,  Richard  Chown  and  some photographs  of  prototype  structures from Mark Tatlow. This disk-based book is simple to use and allows you access to a wide range of exceptionally  useful  information  for  the modeller working in any scale or gauge.

Price per disc is £7.00"

Review copies have been sent to the various magazines, although other than the current Rail Express I haven't seen any published.

If you're visiting Scaleforum, come over to the Society Stand and have a chat about the contents of the book...

Cheers

Paul Willis

Scalefour Society Deputy Chairman

Thank you for this information Paul and it was good to meet you at Scaleforum. I have had a look at the disk and there is plenty of information available for the budding civil engineer. I will need to look at it in more detail, but what I have already seen has been of some help. For £7 I can recommend adding it to your library.

Page 111 of his book shows a girder bridge on a "considerable angle" apparently near Teignmouth, copyright prevents me posting an image and I can'y find the original on google earth - sorry

My last post seems to have disappeared into the ether......

at Teignmouth there are several sloping bridges in the station area including the high one which features in many photographs,

I think these are of GWR build, probably date from 1895 when the line was doubled here and the station rebuilt,

edit, here is an arty shot that shows the location of some of them, though no worthwhile detail

attachicon.gifIMG_3588.JPG

Teignmouth station, looking towards Newton Abbot, taken 1/3/2011

cheers

2nd edit  here is one of the bridges west of Teignmouth, albeit a footbridge 

attachicon.gifscan0030.jpg

47301 heads west on a summer saturday, 21/7/84

Thank you rovex for that information. I did know that Teignmouth had a few inclined bridges but could not find any images of any other than the regular lattice girder you can see from the seawall. It sounds as though I really do need to add that book to my library.

The picture of the footbridge over the cutting from Rivercider is useful in that it shows upright abutments with horizontal capping stones. Again it seems to show a horizontal ledge for the inclinded deck to sit on.

MAny thanks for everyones help so far. It is very much appreciated.

Andy

It is perfectly acceptable to have a steel or iron girder bridge on an incline.  For what it is worth you have to have the sliding bearing at the top; but I am assuming you are not too excited about this as it will be invisible!

Quite how the abutments would be dealt with will depend on the nature of the situation; particularly the incline that you are putting on the road (I assume you are doing an overbridge?).  The pictures below show Divie Viaduct at Dunphail which formerly had the Highland's original mainline go over it at (I think) 1:50.  You can see that the main parapet is much lower at the north end than the south; as the deck of the bridge has droped the couple of feet difference and they kept the stonework courses level.

attachicon.gif_DSC0241compress.JPG

north end parapet

attachicon.gif_DSC0245compress.JPG

south end parapet; showing the relative drop

Alternatively; as the picture of the footbridge at Teignmouth from Rivercider shows you get the capping stones on the pier level and then the parapets to the approach abutments following the slope of the road.  As a final alternative, particularly for steep slopes, you get both the parapets and the capping stones at an incline as per the Llandysul pictures from BG John.

Good to hear from you Mark. Many thanks for that info. It looks as though I have a lot to think about. I might have to come up with a sketch just to see what it might look like and give me some idea how to go about it. I've just had a lokk at the viaduct on Google Earth as it wasn't one I was familiar with in Scotland. Pretty impressive and some nice stonework there as well.

I'm not the best of artists but this is a rough sketch of what I have in mind. I'll see how it goes now I know the fixed point is at the bottom of the bridge an the sliding plate is at the top.

post-8259-0-15066800-1380634187_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi Higlandman,

Don't forget that the girders have to sit on a ledge or concrete plate at each end.

Like this: http://www.thewhistlepost.com/forums/attachments/o-scale/2498d1302137717-l-crr-plate-girder-bridge-img_0271.jpg

or this :http://www.thewhistlepost.com/forums/attachments/o-scale/2497d1302137717-l-crr-plate-girder-bridge-bridge-shoe.jpg  which also shows what is called the shoe.

or this: http://www.johnweeks.com/river_mississippi/pics03/mn23new62.jpg  which shows it at the grey painted end.

or this in model form: http://www.valleymodeltrains.com/catalog/images/151/151-7923.jpg

Simon

Archived