Hi All,

A super film, definitely one to drool over. Steam haulage on the West Highland ended in 1961 so it was probably filmed a little bit earlier perhaps the first season of the modified observation coaches (1959)- the poster that a gentleman is seen looking at in one shot shows the original shape. One of my fads I know but just look at the variety of coaching stock. Gresley, Thompson, BR Mk 1 in either maroon or red/cream plus a real mix of catering vehicles (I am sure one of them was ex Tourist stock and another was a post war rebuild of an ex LNER ambulance coach- by the Southern at Ashford - into a cafeteria car) and the observation cars.

The BBC programme Railway Roundabout filmed on the West Highland in 1959. They sponsored the return to the line of two Glen 4-4-0 s which worked a regular service train up and down for about a week. Just as they had 20/30 years earlier. I think it was called something like "Two Glens on the West Highland" must look out for it.

best wishes,

Ian

• 3 weeks later...

Brilliant - thanks for posting it!

Imagine - eight bogies and a handful of vans double headed by a black five and a standard 5 - traffic managers today can only dream of such business!

I did the FW - Mallaig run behind a B1 some years ago with a great friend who was the last coastguard in Oban. Typical WHR weather - Dreich!

We were hanging out of the window of the front coach like a pair of schoolboys and thoroughly enjoying getting a face full of Scotch Mist and smuts! Then we repaired to our seats and sampled the delights of coffee with a dram in it to warm up!

Coming back from FW on the WHR proper it was just before the introduction of Super Sprinters, so it was a rake of Mk 1s with a 37at the head - boy did it bark its way up the glens!

The joys of dropping windows!

Hi All,

A super film, definitely one to drool over. Steam haulage on the West Highland ended in 1961 so it was probably filmed a little bit earlier perhaps the first season of the modified observation coaches (1959)- the poster that a gentleman is seen looking at in one shot shows the original shape. One of my fads I know but just look at the variety of coaching stock. Gresley, Thompson, BR Mk 1 in either maroon or red/cream plus a real mix of catering vehicles (I am sure one of them was ex Tourist stock and another was a post war rebuild of an ex LNER ambulance coach- by the Southern at Ashford - into a cafeteria car) and the observation cars.

The BBC programme Railway Roundabout filmed on the West Highland in 1959. They sponsored the return to the line of two Glen 4-4-0 s which worked a regular service train up and down for about a week. Just as they had 20/30 years earlier. I think it was called something like "Two Glens on the West Highland" must look out for it.

best wishes,

Ian

The BBC Radiophonic Workshop did not begin operations until 1958, and it is credited with the incidental sounds, so the film cannot be earlier. However, the wires seem to be up on the North Clyde coast line towards Dumbarton, although I never saw any EMUs;  but the clips of that part were very short.

Therefore I would say mid 1959 to mid 1960 as a time period.

I know all the people who made the film. :-)   John Goodwin,  the sound recordist,  was actually a very good railway modeller and he had one or two articles in the model railway press in the 1960s.   John Gray,  the producer,  had a great interest in railways and I edited a few radio programmes for him - one I remember being on the 9Fs at Tyne Dock and Consett.   Although not credited,  the commentary and voice overs were by Bill Jack and Jamieson Clark.

Jim

Jamieson Clark - there's a name from the past!

Something that struck me about the film was the number of LMS-designed Stanier 5s handling trains on this ex-LNER line. (Also that the train at the beginning seems to pick up a pilot between Cowlairs and Old Kilpatrick!) 

Great video, thanks for posting it.

Archived