features:

21 pin decoder slot

all wheel pickups

all wheel drive

wire detailing

opening doors

sprung buffers

NEM pockets

it is a very weighty loco and can pull 6 heavy coaches up a 1 in 24 incline (originally i wrote 1 in 12) even though it has no traction tyres, it runs at a good prototype speed and has a good shunting speed. the loco is also very detailed by my standards, it has no visible flaws and I personally rate this loco very highly and the best in my collection.

The Bachmann class 37 is a brilliant model. Im sure a few detractors (sorry could'nt resist the pun) might have had a go about shape, bonnet doors, or the cab door profile on the first models, but by and large its been a brilliant model that Bachmann have gone and perfected.

Whats needed now for this is a 'review' in the scene of the pictures and messages about the various engines that we all have in this class and model, in the same way of the Hornby class 50 and Bachmann 47 thread seems to have gone. Im surprised this hasnt happened already for the model of an engine with cult status.

Just to start... heres a view of my DRS class 37 collection.

post-7347-0-21974800-1381005250_thumb.jpg

NEM pockets

... which are moulded into the bogie frames and are thus completely and utterly useless for close-coupling couplers as supplied by Roco and Fleischmann, which work best when the pocket is mounted on an extending-in-curves mechanism, and at least require a pivoted pocket. Unlike the Bachmann 47, there is no room to squeeze a close-coupling unit in there.

I've 61 currently, no issues with them, but I do prefer the nose and buffer beam detailing available for the Vi-Trains 37s', of which I have 20.

It would be nice if Bachmann could offer the same level detailing.

Glad they have given-up on the opening doors and not gone down the to the pointless rotating fan.

I've 61 currently, no issues with them, but I do prefer the nose and buffer beam detailing available for the Vi-Trains 37s', of which I have 20.

It would be nice if Bachmann could offer the same level detailing.

Glad they have given-up on the opening doors and not gone down the to the pointless rotating fan.

wow thats a feat and a half, 61!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I only have 43 Bachmann tractors (or English Electric type 3 for older viewers) including 19 class 37/0s. For my money- and I've spent a few quid on them, I think that the Bachmann model represents the best compromise between fidelity whilst also being a robust model unlike the Vi trains model, which I'm sure will look great sat in a display cabinet, but if used on a regular basis, then put into and taken out of storage boxes will steadily undress themselves of most of their detailing (which has to of course, be fitted by the purchaser- not necessarily a modeller...)

To sum up, they look the part, they're built like a brick and pull like a train. (Which is surely the point!)

Archived