Cambrian Railways 15 Class Gladiator Kit

81A Oldoak

• 3 months later...

I have posted this in Father Dougal's thread about his 08 Gronk build, but thought it would be of interest here too. The photos illustrate my super-simple, cheapo method for installing 3-point compensation on my ex-Cambrian Railways 15 Class 0-6-0 locomotive. All I do is take some brass or nickelsilver sheet of suitable thickness and drill some holes to the outside diameter of the axle bearings. I then  cut them out as rectangles. Open out the holes in the chassis to allow for vertical movement, I limit it to about 0.5mm above and below the centre line. Insert the axle bearing, place a paper washer over the bearring on the inside of the chassis frame, press on the inside part of the bearing and solder in place. Remove the paper washer and solder a small length of square brass tube vertically alongside the inside of the bearing to prevent rotation. I also always keep for this purpose the rigid axle cut-out waste from kits that are being sprung or compensated using other means. Simple, effective and very cheap.

BTW, I'm thinking of repainting the loco black with the early BR crest as it would be a suitable partner for my blood and custard Collett coaches and a good stable mate for my  Ivatt 2MT 2-6-0.

post-13142-0-70265200-1441369981_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-65021800-1441369983_thumb.jpg

Archived