Cambrian Railways 15 Class Gladiator Kit

81A Oldoak

Chris

How long did you leave the precision paint to harden before spraying it with Testors?

Precision paint is slow to harden and until it has the Testors solvents will attack it. I give it at least a couple of weeks in a dry warm dust free location.

When you spray the Testors Varnish over the model don't point it at the model. Sort of waft it in the general direction so it rains on it in a sort of mist. Much of the solvent will evaporate before getting to your model. The other thing to do is waft on a very light coat. Give it a day to dry and then add another slightly heavier coat. The first light waft will have hardened and formed a barrier protecting the paint layer.

The other thing is the Testor sprays need to be thoroughly warm at room temperature. if they aren't or aren't allowed to get evenly warm they can produce a white bloom in the finish

That took longer to write than the spraying would

Thanks for the advice Paul. From your diagnosis, I would guess that I am not allowing the coat of Precision sufficient time to harden. I shall repaint tomorrow and then leave the loco until I after I return on 20th January from a trip to the USA to visit my first grandchild who was born on 20th December. He has asked for a green Hudswell Clarke for a present and will obviously go far. Indeed having been born in the USA he could be a future POTUS.

Regards,

Chris

• RMweb Premium

having been born in the USA he could be a future POTUS.

Congratulations 'Grandad' - I must admit I had no idea what POTUS was until I asked Google . . . . . . . !

After the Hudwell Clarke, I wonder what loco he'll get for his first birthday as I guess that will be about the time that the next Ixion loco will be ready . . . . . something American perhaps ??

Mike

Congratulations 'Grandad' - I must admit I had no idea what POTUS was until I asked Google . . . . . . . !

After the Hudwell Clarke, I wonder what loco he'll get for his first birthday as I guess that will be about the time that the next Ixion loco will be ready . . . . . something American perhaps ??

Mike

Or a Fowler......? ;-)

Cheers,

Andrew

Hello Chris,

I'm not a painter (if I'm going to muck up a loco this is where I'll do it), P/P takes a long time to dry, this is well known, to help it dry after it has stopped being sticky hang it on a radiator for a few days.  

For varnish try Ronseal, it's thin but will still need thinning for airbrush use, its good and it's cheap but make sure you get the one that thins with white spirit.

It may also be a good idea to spray a test piece up at the same time as the tender (using all the same paints) so you can try on that, rather than the tender.

OzzyO.

Hello Chris,

I'm not a painter (if I'm going to muck up a loco this is where I'll do it), P/P takes a long time to dry, this is well known, to help it dry after it has stopped being sticky hang it on a radiator for a few days.  

For varnish try Ronseal, it's thin but will still need thinning for airbrush use, its good and it's cheap but make sure you get the one that thins with white spirit.

It may also be a good idea to spray a test piece up at the same time as the tender (using all the same paints) so you can try on that, rather than the tender.

OzzyO.

Thanks OzzyO. Interestingly, I did test various types of varnish on a test patch without any visible ill effects. Anyway, tomorrow I shall spray a new coat of green on the tender and leave it until I return from a 10 day trip to the USA. By that time, my Severn Mill numberplates should also have arrived.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My latest attempt to finish this loco has left me a long way short of feeling gruntled. I repainted the tender for the fourth time on 20th January and left the model to harden at room temperature until today. I did a successful test application of Humbrol acrylic varnish on a test patch that I had painted at the same time. I then moved onto the tender, wafting on the varnish as recommended by Paul Martin. Success on the first side, but disaster on the other side where there was some crazing. I am now so frustrated that I shall strip the tender again, only this time I shall spray the whole model in Halford's satin black and finish the loco in BR early-crest livery. At least it will look right pulling my Blood and Custard Collett coaches. 

Chris

The like was for the BR black, but I do sympathise with your painting woes.

Thanks Steve. One feels less than complimentary about Precision Paints, though it is odd that there was no crazing of the red buffer beams that were painted with Precision paint. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well at last I have managed to get the GWR livery completed as intended. I need to paint and fit the number plates and will then take some photos this weekend. The firebox back-head and spectacle glazing need to be completed. I shall then load it with coal, fire irons and crew and give the loco some very gentle weathering. 

As promised last night, I got up early to fix the nameplates to 896 and take some photos of her in ex-works condition. The photos brutally expose all of the flaws and bodges that are an enduring characteristic of my model-making, but at last she is starting to look more like a swan than an ugly duckling. It is interesting to see how much lighter the GWR green appears under the bright lighting of the photofloods. 

It is a glorious morning and the weather forecast today is dry and sunny for our area. So as soon as I can rouse Lorna we are off to the Isle of Purbeck to ingest some sea air and sulphur on the Swanage Railway. Steam, sulphur and low winter sunshine - a true vision of heaven.

Chris

post-13142-0-38905000-1393059453_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-41259500-1393059455_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-68540900-1393059457_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-72514200-1393059459_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-66162700-1393059461_thumb.jpg

Hi Chris, she is looking superb! How I'd love to see one in 4mm... the 15 class one of my favourite locos.   One point of note, I've seen the initials OSW on some photographs, just below the sandboxes on the footplate.  Fantastic stuff

All the best

Alan

Thanks Alan. I have also seen the OSW shed codes on the footplate valence. I will add them when I have either found suitable transfers or can do a decent freehand paint job.

Regards,

Chris

As promised last night, I got up early to fix the nameplates to 896 and take some photos of her in ex-works condition. The photos brutally expose all of the flaws and bodges that are an enduring characteristic of my model-making, but at last she is starting to look more like a swan than an ugly duckling. It is interesting to see how much lighter the GWR green appears under the bright lighting of the photofloods. 

It is a glorious morning and the weather forecast today is dry and sunny for our area. So as soon as I can rouse Lorna we are off to the Isle of Purbeck to ingest some sea air and sulphur on the Swanage Railway. Steam, sulphur and low winter sunshine - a true vision of heaven.

Chris

Sorry, what flaws would those be... I'm not seeing any :-)

David

PS: Love the whole Purbeck area, we visit at least once every year and every stay involves a trip to Swanage and back from Corfe :-)

896 looks grand. Reckon you should get a medal for perseverance with the loco's painting!

Is there any evidence of these locos straying to south Wales for your Cwm Bach layout, or will 'rule 1' apply?

Cheers,

Andrew

Andrew,

Thank you for the compliments. Chris Basten of Dragon Models is convinced they got to Newport via the Brecon & Merthyr and is sure he has seen a photo of one at Gaer Junction. So far we not have been able to find photographic evidence.

Regards,

Chris

• 5 months later...

Yippee! At last I have found a photo of one these locos at Newport High Street proving that they did indeed penetrate the South Wales valleys. The photo was hosted on Facebook. Hopefully. this link works: https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbid=10204159522651355&set=gm.535864973212602&type=1&theater

I knew they'd find one at some point Chris, great photo! - it's a closed group however so direct links won't work unless you are a member.

Attached is the photo of 895 at Newport High Street. My thanks to Mark Vrettos, who owns this photo taken by an unknown photographer, for permission to post the photo on this forum. The retaining wall even looks like Wills Coarse Stone.

The Railways of the Cambrian is a closed Facebook site of which I am a member. Almost every day we are treated to brilliant and mostly unpublished photographs of Cambrian subjects. It is well worth joining if you are interested in the Cambrian Railways or Welsh railways. 

post-13142-0-72668200-1408455136.jpg

• 8 months later...

Something strange has happened to my Cambrian 0-6-0 goods loco. I decided to run it up an down Cwm Bach this evening and take a couple of photos. When I looked at the photos I noticed that the shade of grenn on the engine is noticeably different to the tender. I am perplexed as the tender and loco were painted and varnished at the same time, in the same place using the same paint and varnish. Any ideas anyone?

Chris

post-13142-0-16574200-1430765007_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-40104900-1430765009_thumb.jpg

Chris

The loco looks great, nice job.

In the upper of the two most-recent photos, I think the loco looks like it has some kind of varnish bloom over the paint. This isn't evident in the second photo, but I do agree, there is a different hue between the two.

Given you had awful issues with the tender paint, but not with the loco, did you by any chance use different primers?

Can't imagine any other reason.

As a potential solution, I bought a can of Land Rover Deep Bronze Green cellulose paint from a local garage years ago, it's great stuff but it is a pain to clean the airbrush, so being naturally indigent, I dropped into Halfords, who will, for £14 or thereabouts, make a rattle can of any automotive shade for you. This has also been perfectly satisfactory, but I don't tend to bother with varnish...

HTH

Simon

Archived