Buildings for Ormskirk ( East lancs side + Cottages )

Very impressive work! Can I ask what you used for the brickwork? It looks like Slaters to me. If so, you've made an excellent job of the corners - to my mind, that's the most difficult task in using embossed sheets -and you've found sheets which have the vertical joins between the bricks in line!

Are you planning a layout of Ormskirk?

David C

Hi Dave,

cheers for the comments, yes, I have done many of these structures in 7mm scale and it allways tempts me to have a go at 7mm as a layout build :-) I am an EM 4mm modeller by preference modelling the first period LMS ex LYR but might do an industrial plank in 7mm at some stage. 

The brickwork is South eastern finecast, bigger sheets and square, for as much as I like Slaters embossed sheets I don't get on with the brickwork, it tends to run out of true for me in the corners were it is essential that its square, I don't mitre, just butt up making sure the ends are sealed up then I file in the courses on the end to convince.

cheers

Peter

Hi Stuart,

cheers

Peyer

Edited by Gravy Train
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

Peter

At this stage I lack the skills to build Ormskirk (or anything at all, really!) but at some point I'd love to do a layout of Ormskirk set in the 1967-68 period, as this was steam's very last route for regular passenger traffic. A layout at Ormskirk in 1968 could happily feature all of the surviving steam classes, in addition to diesels of class 24, 25, 40, 47 and 50, plus a variety of DMUs and of course the 502 EMUs. There's operational interest in that the goods yard was still in use until 1969, as were the carriage sidings to the north of the station. The Skem branch was still down at the Ormskirk end until 1968, although long since disused. 

So, it'd be a brilliantly interesting layout to do. Do you by any chance have plans of the station buildings?

George

Hi George,

many thanks re your kind comments, Yes Ormskirk has great scope for operation and a great track plan to boot.

Unfortunately I don't have drawings for the structures but there is a Booklet published by the LYR society with some wonderful photographs, most of which will be used to construct the station buildings.

I used photographs for the buildings I have already completed making good use of an Ordnance survey map to get measurements, or rather to use as a guide.

Are you going to have a go yourself at doing Ormskirk, its a lot of work but in my opinion well worth it its a superb subject matter, the buildings that I produced are to commission as a full time Architectural model maker for a good friend of mine, I am not building the layout as such just the buildings piece meal.

Any questions do ask away.

Cheers

Peter

ps: I am of course looking for good photographs of the Goods shed which are proving elusive at present.

Hi George,

many thanks for your time, yes, I have seen this photostream, the issue we have is that we can't get a side on view of the Goods shed to determine the bay and window arrangement.

Whilst I was Demonstrating at the Southport show last year, a chap came to me with some photos of the goods shed he had taken just before demolition and of it being taken apart showing all the interior details, I got distacted by another person and didn't get the chap's name, really frustrating to say the least.

cheers

Peter

• 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...