Model Railways Direct. Massive Clearance?

RailNut101

I went onto the Model Railways Direct site today and they seem to be having a massive sale. Almost as though they are selling all their stock.

I hope this isn't another model railway store about to leave us, as they have some good bargains.

I know Hornby's constantly delayed availability is causing an impact on customers such as myself, but it must impact badly on the retailers who need to shift product to survive.

I'm hoping Model Railways Direct will stick around as they are also local to me.

• RMweb Gold

About 1/3 of the items on there are things I saw in quantity at various Modelzone shops in the last few months. Two stalls at Manchester this week had lots of Hawksworths at £19-£20. I picked up a couple of other Hornby items at 40% below RRP.

Others have limited appeal, such as how many people run a layout where a Thompson BG in Crimson/Cream, a rake of Mk1 Sleepers or a Southern EMU would be an essential feature? Once you have satisfied the "don't get it out of the box as you'll destroy the value" market I wouldn't see there being a whole lot of sales on these.

• RMweb Premium

If you check, much of the sale stock has been or is also on discount elsewhere.

Many other items are at normal price e.g. Gresley teaks etc.

Their normal pricing is around 20% below RRP on many items and quite a few sale items are not much more discounted than that.

Keith

EDIT: I bought a rake of current Hornby Pullmans from them a few months back, all at £19.95

Some of the prices are very good tho. Just bought Bachman 108 , 47301 and an 85 all at prices less than I've seen elsewhere. Agree other items are the usual suspects although blue grey mk1 so/Sks at 18.50 also good (not the normal firsts, brakes etc we see stuck in bargain bins).

M

Some of the prices are very good tho. Just bought Bachman 108 , 47301 and an 85 all at prices less than I've seen elsewhere. Agree other items are the usual suspects although blue grey mk1 so/Sks at 18.50 also good (not the normal firsts, brakes etc we see stuck in bargain bins).

M

These are all items that have recently been on offer from the manufacturer, and are therefore not exclusive bargains to Model Railways Direct.

I'll tell you what tho £3.99 for next day delivery on big box of discounted stuff is fantastic. Lots of notification about stages of picking etc. these guys have bettered my experience of hattons and that's saying something

• RMweb Premium

I'll tell you what tho £3.99 for next day delivery on big box of discounted stuff is fantastic. Lots of notification about stages of picking etc. these guys have bettered my experience of hattons and that's saying something

Yep!

I've found that. Order one day, get it the next.

Haven't found anybody else quite so consistent.

Keith

Archived