Hornby n2

davidw

Hi I understand that this model has it's parentage in the Airfix/mainline model.

I assume that the mechmanism has been upgraded.

Can anyone confirm this and what (if any other mods chassis or body) have been made?

Thanks

• RMweb Premium

It did have a 5 Pole motor when last released but not sure if it will be three or five this time. I think in general the mechanism is upgraded from Airfix/Mainline days but the body remainder the same

• RMweb Premium

I have 3 of these 1 Airfix, 1 Mainline and one Hornby. All three have 5pole motors. That said the Hornby one is much quieter. The airfix one cost a tenner and has recieved the scottish treatment! It runs as well as the Hornby one and is 30 years older. The strength of the magnet in the open frame motor will hold the coupling hook up (I must make an ABS one for it).

Note that even though some models say Airfix on the bottom, they were actually never released by Airfix!

Hornby would do well to upgrade this great little tank engine but then again it isn't too hard to detail one to a satisfactory level. Dapol driver and fireman help to hide the bulk in the cab. I used black beading wire for the brake rodding and some detail bits from the trade. Hornbys finish GNR1763 is delightful.post-8964-0-76146000-1381613988_thumb.jpg 

Generally agree with the comments above, in that the majority of the model's appearance is exactly as originally released by Mainline. Hornby fitted sprung buffers and revised the rear body locators as a necessary concommitant. Even the pizza-cutter trending flanges are still as the original, these can be trimmed to good effect. Happily this was in its day one of the better releases, and as already observed worth improvement of missing, incorrect or poorly represented detail.

Hornby's quiet can motor is a major asset over the usual coffee grinder sound of the otherwise adequate open frame five pole job fitted to the Mainline and Dapol versions. (I had one of these motor armatures balanced and with new bearings by a precision machinist thirty odd years ago; just transformed it.) Sensible ratio double reduction geared, and if Hornby were to use their three pole can motor I doubt there would be much difference on track. Worthwhile in my opinion revsing the wiring to soldered connections between wipers and motor terminals, and fitting a simple leaf spring on the centre axle. Easy hardwire DCC fit. The decoder can simply stand alongside the motor in the bunker; no trouble concealing a Lenz Silver so there must be few HO decoders that will not go..

Archived