End of season gala - Avon Valley Railway. 19th and 20th October.

Gordon A

End of Season Gala. 19th and 20th October 2013.

7822-1.jpg

General information
We are pleased to announce that GWR 78xx Manor Class No. 7822 ‘Foxcote Manor’ will our guest locomotive for this year’s End of Season Gala. Foxcote Manor was built in 1950 at British Railway’s Swindon works. It was part of a post-war batch of 10 locomotives built at the works, taking the total number of Manor’s to 30.

The engine is now based at the Llangollen Railway and we are pleased to make Bitton its home for a few weeks. The engine will feature in our End of Season Gala as well as a number of other special events including an evening fish and chip special, a driver experience course and a photo charter.

Timetable and roster
The End of Season Gala will feature both passenger and demonstration freight services, express and stopping passenger services and double headed services using all available steam engines.

The locomotives rostered to work during the weekend are as follows:

• GWR 78xx Manor Class No. 7822 ‘Foxcote Manor’
  • RSH 0-6-0T No. 7151
  • Ferrum 0-6-0T No. 4015 ‘Karel’
  • Austerity 0-6-0ST No. 15 ‘Earl David’

A copy of the passenger timetable will be made available online and will be provided free of charge to fare paying passengers. A ‘working timetable’ which also shows light engine and freight moves will be available to purchase for a small cost nearer the time.

Fares
Our Day Rover tickets offer unlimited travel on all our passenger services on the day of purchase:

• Adults £12.00
  • Concessions £10.00
  • Children £6.00
  • Family (2 adults + 4 children) £30.00

This special event is marked as Timetable C in the timetable and therefore special fares and ticket restrictions apply. All discount vouchers and tickets are withdrawn and are not valid during this event. These include but are not limited to: Member’s discount and privilege tickets; Groupon or VoucherCloud discounts; AVR Family for £10 vouchers.

Purchasing tickets
Beat the queues and buy your ticket in advance by any of the following means:

• Buy online (a £1.50 booking free applies to each transaction)
  • Call the Booking Office on 0117 932 5538
  • Visit the station in person weekdays between 9am and 4.30pm

Tickets can also be purchased on the day from the Booking Office (cash or card) and on board the train (cash only). Please leave plenty of time to purchase tickets as they may be a queue during busy periods.

Getting to Bitton
Visitor parking is available at Bitton Station with overflow parking available nearby. Disabled visitors should contact Bitton Station in advance of the event to reserve a parking space close by to the station building.

We expect this event to be extremely busy and we encourage our visitors to travel sustainably – consider car sharing or traveling by public transport. First Bus service 42 now runs between Bitton and Keynsham offering a good link for those travelling to Keynsham by train. More details of how to find us can be found here.

About the rolling stock
Our second edition Rolling Stock Guide is currently available to purchase. If you want to learn more about the vehicles that will be in use and displayed at Bitton during this year's End of Season Gala, the Stock Book will give you all the information you need.

You can get your copy of the Stock Guide from the Station Shop or from our website for £3.50.

Photography
We love to see photographers enjoying our line and keeping the internet stocked up with excellent snaps of our events. However, please remember that these events are costly to stage and are reliant on support from members and visitors.

Any support you can provide is greatly appreciated - if you can't travel, perhaps consider buying a platform ticket or a slice of cake and a cuppa?

:) from their website 19/20 October.

I'd take a look if I were in Bristol, but in Devon that weekend. :(

Neil

It should not be necessary to go search. All information should be in one place so that AIDA can take effect

• A = Attention - well they got that
  • I = Interest - Yes, but to have to search for information elsewhere left me with a rapid interest decline
  • D = Desire - having lost my interest then the desire wasn't there.
  • A = Action - This is the last of the four, but you need to have gone through success with the other phases first otherwise you won't get any.

And if anyone wants  more on AIDA then see places such as http://advertising.about.com/od/successstrategies/a/Get-To-Know-And-Use-Aida.htm, which quotes "The acronym AIDA stands for Attention, Interest, Desire, Action, and it is one of the founding principles of most modern-day marketing and advertising. In fact, it's often said that if your marketing or advertising is missing just one of the four AIDA steps, it will fail."

Neil

You shouldn't have had to help - I'm noticing on RMweb that when people advertise events that often one of the three vital details are left out. These details are date, place and time, in that order

• Date - the most fundamental - am I free - can I rearrange to make myself free?
  • Place - a town nearby is important - there seems to be an expectation that every location is known nationwide.
  • Time - is it all day, a weekend, a morning? Can I make it?

Cost is a long way down the list.

Once you have that information plain to see.

And BRM did just what I described in print with the Barrow Hill event a couple of years ago. They left out where it was.

I seem to have gone off topic - it's just that if you're going to advertise something pleas make it easy for people to have the information to want to attend.

Archived