Southminster Nuclear Flask Transfer Terminal

82C

Hello,

I've decided to return to OO scale, after a period of dabbling with O scale. I was looking for a location that I could use for a track plan, and a traffic that wouldn't break the bank with endless formations etc.

Nuclear flask traffic has always interested me, and is little modelled. The traffic also offered itself to a model-able track layout of a real location. The terminals usually be little more than a run round loop and a transfer crane.

I remembered Rail Express modeller magazine ran a two edition article on flask traffic, in the second edition they provide track plans for a few terminals.

I initially looked at Dungeness but, decided against it. Bridgwater provided a hugely complex shunting plan to shunt the flask under the crane, then to run the locos round the flask for the return. But my space was limited.

So..........

I decided on the terminal at Southminster in Essex. This location allowed me to model the track plan like for like, it also provided a passenger service and terminal station platform.

Although the layout is called Southminster, it's not a model of the location as such. It just lends it name and track layout.

Progress to date is that all the track is down, it just needs final tamping and hole drilling for the point motors and uncouplers.

As you will see from the pictures below, the terminal transfer crane is remarkably similar to the ratio kit of the same design, so that awaits construction when I get time.

Regards.

82C

post-20528-0-32103700-1381689758_thumb.jpg

post-20528-0-66388900-1381689784_thumb.jpg

post-20528-0-54267900-1381689796.jpg

post-20528-0-44644900-1381689808_thumb.jpg

G'Day Gents

Interesting line to Southminster, and one day a cl86 was worked down it to see if would fit !, it did'nt, clouted a couple of platform edges, so that idea went out the window, back to the diesels :O

manna

• 2 weeks later...

Good evening,

I popped into my local model shop this afternoon, and picked up a Bachmann FNA Nuclear Flask carrier to go with my two HEA barrier wagons a CAR air braked fitted brake van, which from my core wagon load train.

I'm looking to buy a Hornby Class 31, well two to haul the above service. I've found some interesting pictures of flask trains on the Blaenau Ffestiniog branch, especially a very interesting formation pictured below. Class 31 + Class 31 + Dutch livery Queen Mary bogie brake + BDA bolster + FNA flask + BDA bolster + Southern railway branded Queen Mary bogie brake. That's one to model for sure!

I've decided not to model the DRS period of operations, as it's well boring. No barrier vehicles, no brake vans, more or less the same traction and liveries. The period from the early 90s through to the hand over to DRS from Transrail/Loadhual and Mainline freight is the most interesting in my view.

Although the consist of the services is pretty much standard, being a barrier, flask, barrier and brake. The number of flasks can vary, but on my layout it's going to be a maximum of three vehicles due to the restricted length of the round round loop, maybe four flasks but that would involve some serious shunting which the barriers, and brake vehicle being shunted into the spur. In real life I think it would just take to long to shunt it all out of the arriving formation, and then into the correct configuration before departure.

Bearing in mind the real Southminister branch has a dedicated path in the timetable, one of the passenger service trains being effectively cancelled to allow the flask service to run, I'd need to fit my flask service, and the associated shunting into a tight time frame.

Anyway, the first set of pictures is of my flask service arriving, being shunted and then departing the terminal. The Great Western pannier tank is just a stand in though !

The second set of pictures features the Queen Mary brake formation, and some inspiration.

(No pictures, upload issues).

Regards 82C

• RMweb Premium

I don't know if you are interested but the Model Railway Constructor (I think) had an article on nuke trains. I have a digital copy that i could email to you if it is any help....

Drop me a PM

Andy g

Archived