The "Ringbahn" - a simple tramway layout in HO

dullsteamer

After a recent family holiday in Melbourne, my son became fascinated with articulated trams - or as he calls them, the bendy ones. So I started looking for a few models on eBay. Of course, nobody makes a B-class car, but there were plenty of European and American cars available. My son, being nearly eight, didn't quibble. They're trams and they bend!  In next to no time we had a decent-sized fleet of Düwags and Boeing LRVs, so we needed somewhere to run the things. A few quick sketches, a visit to our always helpful local timber merchant, and we have the beginnings of a layout.  

The benchwork is 12mm ply, 1700mm long by 800mm wide by 120mm deep. I deliberately made the sides and ends this deep to allow plenty of room for the point motors, wiring and so on. The track is Peco code 100 with Setrack points. The tram shed is the ever popular Pola Dresden depot building.

This (very) rough sketch shows the basic concept:

10361161364_0bf1a98bf4_b.jpg

The photos were taken this afternoon while I was working out the exact track layout and locations. I find it much easier to finalise the plan full-size with track, stock and structures, rather than trying to draw it to scale first.

10360542053_7b225b4ef2_b.jpg

10360351234_6d687465fa_b.jpg

10360345655_f4fd2cb938_b.jpg

(I called the layout the Ringbahn as a tribute to the lovely tramway in Naumburg, and because my nickname is Ring...)

Nice One!

I am 'toying'!! with a few tramway ideas at the moment,  as  a complete change  from  the  other layouts I am involved with, not   completely decoded  whether to go the

UK 00  route  using  Bachmann Hong Kong/ Birkenhead  cars or  perhaps  USA H0   Using Bachmann P. Witt and  Birney  cars!

The photos were taken this afternoon while I was working out the exact track layout and locations. 

10360351234_6d687465fa_b.jpg

(I called the layout the Ringbahn as a tribute to the lovely tramway in Naumburg, and because my nickname is Ring...)

Looks very nice.  Trams are always a bit of an attraction, and could be quite addictive.

Could you post some more pictures of your stock with descriptions please.

Thanks

Might need to swap the directions on the passing loops.

(Slaps forehead!) The drawing is correct, but the trams in the photo are running bang road!

Seriously, I didn't notice this until you pointed it out. Thanks for that.

Looks very nice.  Trams are always a bit of an attraction, and could be quite addictive.

Could you post some more pictures of your stock with descriptions please.

Addictive is right. I'm too young to have seen Sydney trams in regular service, but a childhood visit to the museum at Loftus sparked a lifelong interest, and involvement as a volunteer that I continue today. I'm working later tonight but when I get a chance over the next few days I'll post some photos of our trams. In the meantime here's a teaser:

10377137994_bef4440fa7_b.jpg

That looks fun in the making! Do mind that the Roco "bendy ones" need a 200mm radius curve, preferably 250mm (10", thereabouts)

Thanks for confirming that figure. When I first decided to build a tramway layout I set-up a simple test track to determine the minimum radius curve the various models would negotiate, and by trial and error I found that 10" was workable for all my bogie and articulated cars.

10376943275_ba3a3858cf_b.jpg

10376964576_d234930f20_b.jpg

I also experimented with methods for paving the Peco Code 100 track I'm using:

10376939045_7da73aef9d_c.jpg

I got quite a good result using Spakfilla. Once it had fully cured I sanded it with a medium grade sanding block, then carved the flangeways with a tool I modified from an Olfa P-cutter. In the photo of the test section neither the rails or the Spakfilla has been painted, but I'm happy with the initial appearance.

I am 'toying'!! with a few tramway ideas at the moment,  as  a complete change  from  the  other layouts I am involved with, not   completely decoded  whether to go the

UK 00  route  using  Bachmann Hong Kong/ Birkenhead  cars or  perhaps  USA H0   Using Bachmann P. Witt and  Birney  cars!

I reckon either would make a good basis for some interesing projects. I haven't seen the Bachmann HK cars, but a few of my mates have Peter Witts and Birneys. They're very nice models with very good mechanisms. Even the current versions of the Bachmann Brills and PCC cars have nice little can motor drives that run nicely, if that's what you fancy.

Addictive is right. I'm too young to have seen Sydney trams in regular service, but a childhood visit to the museum at Loftus sparked a lifelong interest, and involvement as a volunteer that I continue today. I'm working later tonight but when I get a chance over the next few days I'll post some photos of our trams. In the meantime here's a teaser:

10377137994_bef4440fa7_b.jpg

You might need a slightly bigger depot, and/or an off road that you could plonk cars without trolley wire.

Regards Glenn.

I reckon either would make a good basis for some interesing projects. I haven't seen the Bachmann HK cars, but a few of my mates have Peter Witts and Birneys. They're very nice models with very good mechanisms. Even the current versions of the Bachmann Brills and PCC cars have nice little can motor drives that run nicely, if that's what you fancy.

Hattons  my' local'  supplier over  here  has  a few low priced offers  on  the  P.Witt  street cars at the  moment,  so i will have  to  consider, carefully,

I have  had  experience of them  before  and  they  are excellent units  with  the  advantage of  not  having to fit  decoders!  Whereas  i have not personally  used the  Bachmann Hong  Kong  cars  which  are not  Digital ready  and  only powered on 1 axle ( but  presumably this is not a  problem as  Bachmann dont usually  get  things  wrong!!)

PS on my first  day at  infant  school  I travelled  by  tram The  fare  was  1/2p  ( that  thats half  an OLD UK penny!!) a few  weeks  later  Manchester Corporation closed  the  tramways  down!!

Of course, nobody makes a B-class car, but there were plenty of European and American cars available. My son, being nearly eight, didn't quibble. They're trams and they bend!  

Have you seen the Weico whitemetal kits for various Melbourne trams, including the B-class? It would appear that they ceased production earlier this year but there are still some in the shops.

You might need a slightly bigger depot, and/or an off road that you could plonk cars without trolley wire.

That photo is probably a bit misleading - the Japanese interurban cars are for my layout, and some of the trams are for me, rather than my son to use. But I  do like your suggestion of an unwired road for putting cars on and off the layout.

Two more observations:

1) the cars are German (mostly) and thus are for right-hand running, not UK/Aussie style wrong side of the road ;)

2) the Mehano Boeing cars are terrible runners, at least when I bought one ages ago. Dunno if they've improved the drive since, but you'll be disappointed if they didn't...

Right-hand running is how I intend to operate, I just wasn't paying attention when I set things up to take those particular photos...  ;)

The Mehano cars are pretty woeful runners, at least the Muni-liveried examples were. But they were cheap... I've since repowered them with the current version of the Bachmann PCC/Brill car motor bogies, which can be bought quite cheaply here as well. It's almost a drop-in replacement, too.

The funny thing is that the Boston-liveried car runs quite nicely, as it has an improved mechanism compared to what I assume are the earlier Muni cars.

Impressed. Can't wait for more detail.

Here's three views of part of the fleet -

10485726506_b74ca56228_b.jpg

These are all my Roco Düwag GT8s in Köln/KVB livery. Obviously I have some renumbering to do! 3133 and the Jacobs-liveried car have the most recent mech with the large flywheel, while the remainder are earlier models without a flywheel.

10511059044_7403e97279_b.jpg

These are my Roco Düwag GT6s. The model on the right is in Karlsruhe livery, while the rest are in KVB. Between them they have examples of all three versions of the mech - no flywheel, small flywheel, and large.

10511568565_b9f3e750f0_b.jpg

More Düwags. The two on the right are M6s in Bogestra livery, made by Lima. The other two are M8s in Essen livery, made by Rivarossi. The Lima models are lovely to look at, but very temperamental runners in my experience, and rather fragile. But more on that later...

Have you seen the Weico whitemetal kits for various Melbourne trams, including the B-class? It would appear that they ceased production earlier this year but there are still some in the shops.

No, I haven't, but now that I know they're around I'll start looking. Years ago I built a Weico kit of an R or R1, can't recall which now, for a mate of mine who was all thumbs. It didn't turn out too badly from memory.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Still pottering away. I've been on lates at work, plus I've had a few days overtime, so not so much time for modelling as I'd like. Here's where I'm up to:

12695811343_a75c434d26_o.jpg

12695647505_a0d44ea4bf_b.jpg

Here's a bit of shaky video to show that it actually works!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/94424961@N00/12633137213/

All the best,

Mark.

Archived