RMweb

Impressive helicopter flying.

Sidecar Racer

Whilst admiring the control demonstrated by the pilots, you've got to laugh at the idiot commentating on it wondering why great free entertainment like this is no longer common place. Well, probably because too many people have been killed at this sort of show. Only recently several people were killed in Mexico (IIRC) when a "Monster Truck" ran out of control and ran into ŧhe crowd. Can you imagine a failure on the 'copter or a pilot error in that display? The same reason we no longer have the spectacle of multiple deaths in F1 or at airshows. Health and Safety gone mad? Or the application of a little common sense? The latter I fancy.

The Sea Kings reminded me of a Royal Navy recruitment drive saw a similar 'Commando' machine with Zebra Stripes land in our school field. I'm convinced to this day the pilot was expecting something a bit more spacious but I guess if you are used to landing on the back of ships in a storm...!

Quite a sight, no tricks, just an awsome spectacle seeing it arrive and depart.

• RMweb Premium

Certainly impressive flying, albeit pretty stupid if things went wrong.  Slinging a rotor blade into the crowd wouldn't be too clever.....

Although a civvy I've been lucky enough through my job to fly with some of the best (e.g. "Westland One" C.T.P in Lynx) on numerous occasions (about 200 hours at the last count, in heli's ranging from AB212, Sea King, numerous Lynx variants etc) incl. deck landings onto Frigates & aerobatics and have seen how things can so easily go wrong.  At least one Pilot I knew is no more, through no fault of his own - I understand the rotor brake came on during flight due to a fault, which is never a good idea.... 

polybear

p.s. All good fun, but going thru' "The Dunker" every two years wasn't :(

Archived