Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Model vehicles 1991

Hi,

Really struggling to source appropriate vehicles/ plant for early 90s specifically....

/ a crane to move track panels or such like

/ digger to move spent ballast

/ ford fiesta mk1/2

/ vauxhall cavalier

All stuff I can find is too old ( coles crane) or too modern ( CAT966 by norscot )

Any help appreciated

I'm pretty certain that examples of the Coles crane survived into this century- they'd been updated over time with safety cages over the cabs. This view's from a bit earlier:-

http://www.abrail.co.uk/Images/Lowestoft%20SD2.jpg

but I'm certain I remember seeing them at various locations into the 1990s.

Excavators are more of a problem; there were various Hymac and Poclain types in use, which aren't available commercially, but which others have converted from Norscot and similar models. There are some threads on here, which it might be worth searching for. 

What sort of set-up are you looking at modelling? If it's one of the sites where old material was reclaimed, then the machines found there were not always the latest models. Into the 1980s, the tip at Patchway used to use a 1950s Ruston-Bucyrus with a skimmer or back-actor to unload the wagons, and a  Drott to level the spoil off.

• RMweb Premium

There used to be a rather nice resin/whitemetal kit of the 1988-onwards Cavalier available from (IIRC) Taylor Plastic Models (?).

Otherwise, you'd have to source the old Herpa Opel Vectra (HO scale, same as the Cavalier but LHD of course), rely on perspective and place it at the back of the layout! Herpa also produced the early 1980s incarnation (again as a Vectra) BTW. Nice models, but sadly the wrong scale for us.

Thanks guys, that's all good food for thought..

If I could get away with a coles crane that would be super...

I have a spare siding, that I intend to unload sleepers, track panels and such like from.

Just noted the new oxford fiesta that'll be ideal with a respect in sunshine yellow

There used to be a rather nice resin/whitemetal kit of the 1988-onwards Cavalier available from (IIRC) Taylor Plastic Models (?).

Otherwise, you'd have to source the old Herpa Opel Vectra (HO scale, same as the Cavalier but LHD of course), rely on perspective and place it at the back of the layout! Herpa also produced the early 1980s incarnation (again as a Vectra) BTW. Nice models, but sadly the wrong scale for us.

The resin cavalier was by Beacon models, it was a good representation of a mk3 and was available for a couple of years in the early/ mid 90s. They also did a mark 5 Cortina and a Metro. All are long out of production but they turn up at swap meets and on EBay from time to time

A fair number of 80s cars and some 70s would of made it to the early 90s. I distinctly remember my uncle still driving a mk4 cortina estate till well into the 90s, same for Granadas.

Most Vauxhalls from mid-late 80s were really Opel designs, with the Victor and Viva being some of the last designs from Luton that ere truely british.

The Dapol early mk JCB would still have been around though surpassed by later models but still a few about. As for diggers I buy cheap ones at pound shops/b & m etc and convert them. As long as they give a general representation of what you're after I reckon that's fine.

Rich

My memory is odd, I can remember specific stuff I did in 1991 but I can't remember much detail in terms of what cars were on the road, which supermarkets we shopped at, what was on a TV .....the mundane stuff

I remember " Robin Hood prince of thieves " was the big film, with that god awful song that dominated the charts for what seemed like the whole year

Workers at P-W Depots weren't paid that well, so any cars they had wouldn't have been in the first flush of youth. Think of using Mk 3 Cortinas, Avengers, Marinas etc, some having doors or wings in different colours; there might be a 'boy-racer' with a tarted-up Capri or Fiesta, but most vehicles would have been family saloons.

When I passed my test in '85 my first car was a very battered MkII RS1600 Mexico (L reg) followed by a string of rolling wrecks like Mini's, Fiesta's, Golf's and a a host of others - none of which looked out of place in Newport train station car park alongside the railway workers cars which were of a similar vintage and condition.

I reckon you could get away with pretty much anything

Archived