00 gauge clockwork 0-4-0 identity please

Sir Hadyn

At home (so please forgive me no photo yet), I have a red soft plastic clockwork 0-4-0 side tank that is not a Hornby or Dinky model. It is British outline, with an orange chassis underkeep - whose buffers protrude through the front bufferbeam as part of the body and black wheels with dummy outside cyinders and rods off the back drivers to behind these cylinders. It has a rear coupling bar and will couple to Hornby stock.

I bought it from a church sale over 30 years ago and in my teenage years, once the clockwork mechanism failed, I began to cut it about to make an industrial loco with a different chassis. Then another identical loco came my way which does not run, but has remained complete. The bunker is very reminiscent of a BR standard type, and the side tanks even have very fine rivet detail moulded on. I've never seen anything about this model - maker, date or anything, and certainly other than the  1 1/2 that I now have, I've never seen another. In my eyes, it's a very handsome engine, but freelance, so I can't event equate it to one private builder.

If I can find it, I will post a pic, in the meantime if this rings any bells, I'd love to know after all this time.

It's hard to say without a picture, but she could be a Jouef/Playcraft loco.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/00-GAUGE-JOUEF-LOCOMOTIVE-0-4-0-FOR-SPARES-OR-REPAIR-/271299468818?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item3f2ab55e12

Based (loosely) on an SNCF prototype, these were usually available in green or black. There is also an electric version

Failing that, I have vague memories of something by Hornby. 

EDIT

Maybe I was thinking of this, but she doesn't look very British either and lacks cylinders.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRIANG-BLACK-CLOCKWORK-0-4-0-TANK-LOCOMOTIVE-WITH-KEY-/281193066639?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item417869b08f

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

At home (so please forgive me no photo yet), I have a red soft plastic clockwork 0-4-0 side tank that is not a Hornby or Dinky model. It is British outline, with an orange chassis underkeep - whose buffers protrude through the front bufferbeam as part of the body and black wheels with dummy outside cyinders and rods off the back drivers to behind these cylinders. It has a rear coupling bar and will couple to Hornby stock.

I bought it from a church sale over 30 years ago and in my teenage years, once the clockwork mechanism failed, I began to cut it about to make an industrial loco with a different chassis. Then another identical loco came my way which does not run, but has remained complete. The bunker is very reminiscent of a BR standard type, and the side tanks even have very fine rivet detail moulded on. I've never seen anything about this model - maker, date or anything, and certainly other than the  1 1/2 that I now have, I've never seen another. In my eyes, it's a very handsome engine, but freelance, so I can't event equate it to one private builder.

If I can find it, I will post a pic, in the meantime if this rings any bells, I'd love to know after all this time.

I see you've been asking this question for a while! The question seemed to be ignored, then. I think my brother had one, but can't be sure.

Re: Your first Loco....?

icon_post_target.gifby Sir Hadyn » Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:05 pm

Wow Welly, thanks for that. I thoguht I was the only person with one of those! My coach is green though.

Somewhere I have a clockwork 00 gauge 0-4-0 side tank with a red palstic body and orange chassis, UK outline with a BR standardtype bunker. Anyone any ideas over that one?

Archived