Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Mumbles railway Project

Hello Rmweb  :no:

I want to make a mumbles railway layout in N gauge because it was in my town and it was very unique plus another n gauge tramway layout

Im looking at the tramcars nothing is on the market right now and may never be. The typhoo tea tram may be similar in paintsheme but the shape isnt anything like this. does anyone know who can make one?

As for area I would say Rutland street its got a good prototype

mike 

Hello Rmweb  :no:

I want to make a mumbles railway layout in N gauge because it was in my town and it was very unique plus another n gauge tramway layout

Im looking at the tramcars nothing is on the market right now and may never be. The typhoo tea tram may be similar in paintsheme but the shape isnt anything like this. does anyone know who can make one?

As for area I would say Rutland street its got a good prototype

mike 

They were a lot bigger than most, if not all, British trams; you'll almost certainly have to scratch-build them. I remember being taken for a ride on them by my great-aunt, just before the Slow, Wicked and Terrible bus company took them over and closed them down at the beginning of the 1960s. My main memory is of the slatted seats, which had pivotted backs to suit the direction of travel. Their demise is much to be regretted, especially when you see the traffic on Oystermouth Road/Mumbles Road these days.

• Like 1

As you will require at least two cars or more (they frequently ran in coulped pairs) but the overall market is very limited, then it sounds like an ideal task for either 3-d printing or alternatively scratch-build one and use it as a master for resin casting.

There was a resin model of the Swansea and Mumbles car done in (I think) in 3.5mm, 4mm, 7mm scales.

Tony Loughlin used the 4mm model married to a Bachmann Peter Witt chassis to motorise then, I think he's done the entire fleet, for a 2mm/N version perhaps a similar or Japanese tram chassis could be used.

I'd be tempted to resin cast them from a scratch master, I've done a number of trams in 3d but I can say the Swansea and Mumbles car is not really on my list of things to do.

Few pics of Tony's layout, it's only been out twice and it's taking a bit of arm twisting to get him to take it out again I'm afraid.

post-7067-0-77592000-1382649644.jpg

post-7067-0-85415100-1382649739.jpg

post-7067-0-44719900-1382649751_thumb.jpg

post-7067-0-54423700-1382649817.jpg

post-7067-0-75535900-1382649832.jpg

• Like 3

They are Brilliant! all 13 tramcars were made I think its rutland street

With Swansea Victoria in the background..

You'd need a smell generator to combine the odours of Swansea Gasworks (on the other side of the road) and the fish from South Dock (on the other side of Victoria)...

What would make a nice model is the bit next to the footbridge and floral clock, just before the junction of Guildhall Road and Oystermouth Road; a friend's uncle was the gardener responsible for the clock. You wouldn't need ballast, as the rails were almost always covered with sand from the beach.

Many more years ago than I'd wish to admit to, there was a Meccano Magazine article about building n scale tram cars. It basically used a clear perspex shell to which was added a paper sheet to represent the wooden bits (please excuse the overly technical engineering terms). Of course nowadays we have Tomix tram and loco chassis' to make life easier.

I have to declare an interest here, as I am still part owner of an original Mumbles Railway wooden sign.

Eric

Many more years ago than I'd wish to admit to, there was a Meccano Magazine article about building n scale tram cars. It basically used a clear perspex shell to which was added a paper sheet to represent the wooden bits (please excuse the overly technical engineering terms). Of course nowadays we have Tomix tram and loco chassis' to make life easier.

Most of the old Meccano Magazines can be viewed online at http://www.nzmeccano.com. There aren't many tram articles, so it wasn't too difficult to find the article. Due to the way the website works I can't link directly to the article, but it's 'Tram for Two', July 1967, pp 12, 13 and 25. The model in the article looks really good and there are some useful constructional diagrams. The Mumbles trams were quite a simple shape with flat sides so it might just work.

As an alternative, I've seen an article about scratchbuilding a Mumbles tram in 4mm scale, using brass strip I think. I suspect it was one of David Voice's How to go Tram and Tramway Modelling books, though I have no idea which edition - they vary quite a bit.

As an alternative, I've seen an article about scratchbuilding a Mumbles tram in 4mm scale, using brass strip I think. I suspect it was one of David Voice's How to go Tram and Tramway Modelling books, though I have no idea which edition - they vary quite a bit.

It's in the hardback one with the brown dust jacket - whichever one that is!

• 6 years later...

Sorry to dig up such an old thread. Does anyone know where I might find drawings and technical details for the Mumbles cars?

All I have so far is two doors on one side, seating 106, tare 30 tons, two traction motors, electromagnetic multiple unit control and air brakes.

Would quite like to know any of length, width, height over roof, bogie wheelbase, wheel diameter, distance between bogie centres, power, maximum speed... :)

• RMweb Premium

The Mumbles Railway electric vehicles were big - and not called 'trams' by the locals. There used to be the front end of one (No 7) in the Swansea Waterfront Museum but there is no mention of it on the museum website now.

• Like 1

In a different life, quite a long time ago, I researched in advance of modelling the vehicles.  I have a few notes of modelling dimensions, 4mm scale:

9mm wheels; equal-wheel trucks 18mm wheelbase; bogie centres 75.5mm; overall vehicle length 180mm

Can't lay my hands on much more than this at the moment.  There was a good general article, with bibliography, in Tramway Review, March 2019.