Hi all, 

This topic will follow the progress of my scratchbuilt loco, the NSWGR Z18 class of 0-6-0 tank engines. This will be my first scratchbuild that I have done, so any help that anyone here has to offer I will greatly appreciate :D

The model will be based upon the Bachmann Pannier chassis or the RR 0-6-0 chassis. Material will probably be what the Brits call 'plastikard' (I think polystyrene in Australia).

Once again, thanks for visiting, if you could offer any help, thanks!

Regards,

aaron14xx

(attached is a photo of the engine in question)

post-17209-0-08867100-1382663132.jpg

G'day, aaron14xx,

Great to learn you're about to do some scratchbuilding.

I used to work near 1076, when it was at Eveleigh, so am familiar with the Z18 class.

post-17793-0-95148700-1382734259_thumb.jpg

They were particuarly small by local standards, with only 4ft dia wheels. This scales out at 16mm in 00 scale. The nearest commercial chassis with that size wheel is the Dapol/Hornby Terrier class. Bachmann pannier tank wheels are scale 4ft 7.5in dia and Hornby RR wheels are larger still. The wheelbases for those models are also too long.

Have a go with the Terrrier chassis. It's easy to work with and runs very sweetly. I used it for GWR 1376:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/67786-gwr-1376-ex-bristol-exeter-0-6-0t-project/

Do you have a scale drawing to help you through the project?

Regards,

Rob

G'day again, aaron14xx,

I have remembered that, around 1968, I borrowed and photocopied a folder of NSWGR general arrangement blueprint drawings that seems to have disappeared from government service around 1925, as the latest drawings were for the NN2 class (which came into service as the C36 class).

The copies have faded a little, but here is a scan of the GA of the R285 class (which was reclassified in 1924 as the Z18 class).

post-17793-0-62038100-1382752321_thumb.jpg

I'm sure you can download and then re-size this to 00 scale to help you with your construction.

Regards,

Rob

G'day Rob,

Thank you very much regarding the use of a suitable, a Terrier chassis is now on my wish list.

I have only been working from pictures found online, and 1 or 2 of 'Thomas' at the RTM Thirlmere, so your drawing will be of great assistance to me and the project.

With the dimensions on the general arrangement, more accurate drawings can be made for when construction commences, which will hopefully be soon!

Regards,

Aaron

Hi Aaron,

Datasheets in Canberra do an excellent drawing of this class of loco. The proprietor, Greg Edwards, models in 4mm so he might be willing to print it in that scale rather than the usual 3.5mm or 7mm scales more normally requested.

Regards, David.

G'day, aaron14xx,

My preference for this type of build is a mix of copper and brass sheet, as used for my model of GWR 1376. They're easy to work and solder and parts are easily modified if their original cut does not match the drawing. You may be able to adapt copper or brass tube to become the boiler/firebox/smokebox. Once assembled, metal-bodied models have superior traction and can withstand much more rough handling than plastic models. (This is important for me, as my club includes some very young people who can be a bit clumsy.)

On the other hand, some modellers prefer to work in polystyrene. My experience is that such models can be too light to haul very much unless room can be found to pack lead or other ballast weights. I use polystyrene to kitbash coaches, wagons and trams, although some models benefit from a mix of several materials, as in my latest Aussie tram: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/77304-h0-scale-g-class-sydney-tram-construction/

At the end of the day, it's up to you to use whatever you are comfortable to work with. Have a go! Experiment with a few different materials and techniques and build up your experience. Just don't give up!

Regards,

Rob

Nice to see someone do something a bit out of the ordinary.

It's a pity this wasn't started before last Saturday-I was down at the RTM as a passenger attendent for the Day Out With Thomas event (with (for another reason) a tape measure), and 1803 was on prominent display. I should be back there in December/January, as I am looking at doing a HO 3D printed Z18 amongst others (including a Z27 and SMR10 class) for a friend/others, which may be able to be rescaled for OO. I can pass on dimensions when I get them. I also have a couple of general shots of both 1803/Thomas and 1804/1076 as of this year if needed.

Hi dajt,

Thanks for the useful info regarding drawings of the Z18. Are these drawings for free, or do they incur a fee?

Regards,

Aaron

You have to buy them. Some model shops have a selection in 3.5mm scale, or you can order from Datasheets. They are great drawings, worth having.

Regards, David.

You have to buy them. Some model shops have a selection in 3.5mm scale, or you can order from Datasheets. They are great drawings, worth having.

Regards, David.

They are $6.60 for a sheet (to 3.5mm, 1:87 HO scale), and one shop that does stock them 'locally' is Casula Hobbies at Liverpool.

G'day, aaron14xx,

My preference for this type of build is a mix of copper and brass sheet, as used for my model of GWR 1376. They're easy to work and solder and parts are easily modified if their original cut does not match the drawing. You may be able to adapt copper or brass tube to become the boiler/firebox/smokebox. Once assembled, metal-bodied models have superior traction and can withstand much more rough handling than plastic models. (This is important for me, as my club includes some very young people who can be a bit clumsy.)

On the other hand, some modellers prefer to work in polystyrene. My experience is that such models can be too light to haul very much unless room can be found to pack lead or other ballast weights. I use polystyrene to kitbash coaches, wagons and trams, although some models benefit from a mix of several materials, as in my latest Aussie tram: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/77304-h0-scale-g-class-sydney-tram-construction/

At the end of the day, it's up to you to use whatever you are comfortable to work with. Have a go! Experiment with a few different materials and techniques and build up your experience. Just don't give up!

Regards,

Rob

I think for this build I will most likely use polystyrene and stuff the water tanks full of lead. The safety valves might come from a scrapped Hornby RR Jinty, as well as the funnel if possible. 

Also, the drawing you have supplied for me, I cannot tell the actual height of the locomotive, does the hard copy tell this? As the digital copy, when zoomed in becomes all blurry.

Regards, 

aaron14xx

They are $6.60 for a sheet (to 3.5mm, 1:87 HO scale), and one shop that does stock them 'locally' is Casula Hobbies at Liverpool.

$6.60 sound like a very good deal to me, I do hope though they can do drawings in 4mm.

Regards,

Aaron

G'day, aaron14xx,

I've had a close look at my photocopied blueprint GA.

It does not have the overall height. However, it seems to show the height to the boiler centreline to be 6ft 0in (the 0 is fuzzy!). The boiler barrel diameter is shown as 3ft 11.25in.

I remember that, in 1968, when I last saw the blueprints, some were somewhat indistinct, which made them challenging to copy.

I've given you the best that I can find.

If you can purchase the modern H0 drawings, you should be able to fill in many blanks.

Regards,

Rob

$6.60 sound like a very good deal to me, I do hope though they can do drawings in 4mm.

Regards,

Aaron

Aaron,

I just received a separate, unrelated email from Datasheets, and have put in the enquiry about rescaling the sheet to 4mm scale for you.

Edit: I just received word back, and he is able to do that.

Hi everyone,

Sorry for the delay in updates, school work has taken much of my time, thankfully it is all out of the way now.

Let's get back on track!

The chassis from an old Hornby Ivatt 2 2-6-0 tender engine is being used for the Z18 project, and is fitted with the wheels from a scrapped Hornby Jinty.

Many parts from said Jinty including buffers, handrails, safety valves, whistle and steps will be used on the Z18 once styrene can be sourced.

Regards.

aaron14xx

Archived