Mainline Pannier coupling rods/wheelsets problems

talbotsteve

Probably a topic elsewhere but I am unable to find it using the search function so posting up a question.

I have a mainline pannier tank which keeps slipping the rods/wheel sets, what is the correct way of setting up the wheel sets to stop the slip. Or is it a problem with the amount of slackness in the rods? 

It is alovely chassis and I would prefer to solve the issue rather than throw it away.

Just a note, this is not isolated to just my pannier but appears to be inherant in a few of my Mainline models which have been passed along with the faults. I'd prefer to fix them now rather than give up on them.

Cheers for any help.

Steve.

It sounds like you will need to glue the wheels to the axles, or replace the wheel sets with spares from Bachman.

The other alternatives are Gibson wheels, which for a pannier need the crank pin holes drilling, or possible Ulktrascale - up to 6 months wait.

Right hand side crank pins are 90 degrees in advance of the left hand side.

Gordon A

Bristol

• RMweb Premium

Same problem! I tried pulling it all apart and cleaning in acetone bath with Qtips (cotton buds in English I think).   Then super glueing it very carefully back together with Zap-a-gap greasing up the bits where the glue should not go. My repair attempt failed as it runs like a sack of spuds now. The mainline J72 in apple green has a split gear axle and a mainline manor has wheel problems but runs and I'm not going to fiddle with it.

My diagnosis is that the nasty lubricant applied in HK attacked the plastic!  

Not much help, 'squatch . :scratchhead:

• RMweb Premium

It sounds like you will need to glue the wheels to the axles, or replace the wheel sets with spares from Bachman.

The other alternatives are Gibson wheels, which for a pannier need the crank pin holes drilling, or possible Ulktrascale - up to 6 months wait.

Right hand side crank pins are 90 degrees in advance of the left hand side.

Gordon A

Bristol

The Bachmann wheel sets are mounted on thicker axles I believe. Can't check right now as we have a house guest sleeping in one of the attic rooms where the trains are!

The J72 does have different axles. 

• RMweb Gold

These appear to be mainly dealing with splitting snapping shafts whereas my wheels just appear to be turning on he shaft????

Steve

All part of the same problems. A lot of instances are due to cracks in the plastic causing the shaft not to hold on the stub axle. A lot of it seems to be caused by lubricants attacking the plastic parts. Both are smooth so there is nothing to stop them turning out of phase. I've had two 43xx, two panniers and a 56xx displaying the same problems. In engineering terms they are rubbish.

These appear to be mainly dealing with splitting snapping shafts whereas my wheels just appear to be turning on the shaft?

Take a really close look at the plastic insulating piece, and you will typically see a fine crack, that's why it has lost its hold on the round pin of the stub axle.

This all gets well chewed over in the earlier thread 'TheSignalEngineer' referenced with the link in post 2. Mine got degreased and were reassembled with 24hr Araldite, and ran on until usually plating wear out caused terminal failure of the chassis. (I have a quartering wheel press which was used as a jig to hold each in turn so that the wheelsets came out true and properly quartered: and even thirded in the case of the Jubilee, one benefit of free positioning!) The simple truth is that this split chassis design is intrinsically short life and less repairable than a steel axle in solid chassis with wiper pick up design, due to material and technique choices.

Archived