Bachmann class 220 lights - help neeed!

Schubert

HI, Can anyone help?

I have fitted a pair of chips to the driving cars of a Bachmann class 220 and on the bench individually the cars work correctly, i.e. Function 0 turns the lights on and off, and revesing direction on the controller changes between head and tail lights.

However when they are on the track together one end changes between head and tail OK, but the other pauses for a few seconds, flashes all of its lights, then switches to show the correct lights (i.e. the opposite of the other car).

When I then put the cars on the track with the power car the lights refuse to work properly! thye power car has been fitted with a LOc Sound decoder and uses funtion 1 to turn the sound on and off. Pressing Function 1 to turn the sound off also switches the lights on the driving cars off, and pressing function 0 has no effect!.

The chips I am using are a couple of Bachmann 2 function decoders with the motor control wires disconnected. IU am also using a Hornby Select to control the loco.

Please can anybody shed some light on this as I am at my mits end !!

many thanks Alan

• RMweb Gold

I believe the Bachmann 2 function decoders do not support lighting

This is simply not correct - as the documentation for decoder says:

Features -

2 function outputs to control functions (where fitted) on the locomotive (eg lighting).

The issue is more likely that the Hornby Select does not work well with Bachmann decoders, as the Select is not NMRA-compliant.

I wrote the advice for the TWO function decoder ,because I was advised by a professional Loco sound and lighting company not to use any 2 function decoders and use at least a three function decoder.

Are you just quoting the manufacturers notes

Hi Alan,

I think you may be running up against a problem in choice of decoders.

With the exception of "function only" decoders, DCC decoders are designed to be programmed with a load attached to the motor leads.

In non-powered cars this motor load can be achieved by attaching a small motor during programming or attaching a resistor (around 1k) and it is entirely possible that in your situation the decoders are hunting for a load when placed on the running track leading to the odd light operation you are experiencing.

Is there any possibility of a picture or two of your installation as it would help to know what colour wires you have connected to what within the 2 cars?

Archived