The North Cornwall line in 2mm Finescale

queensquare

• RMweb Gold

The Uckfield Club would like to express our thanks to John and the team for bringing Wadebridge to Padstow to the show this year - it is very much appreciated.

wadebridgetopadstow_uckfield21.jpg.57e56f06663b5e19b1ff7406542ec5cb.jpg

A photographic retrospective of the exhibition has been uploaded to the Club's website.

http://www.uckfieldmrc.co.uk/exhib21nf.html

Edited by adrianmc
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, 2mm Andy said:

Ironic that the only member of the group not wearing glasses is also the most senior! And they say that 2mm modelling ruins your eyesight...:D

Andy

Everyone knows that John doesn’t need glasses because he uses “the force” for his modelling activities :D

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 7

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 03/03/2022 at 12:06, queensquare said:

Ive put a fairly crude interior in the signal box. There’s not a lot visible in 2mm especially when, like both the boxes at  Wadebridge, the box has its back to the viewing public.

84B7F7B8-F01D-4330-A8B1-5AA259993F25.jpeg.e42a21a79ed553ff401dce817c128ebb.jpeg

Jerry 

There is a fairly standardised layout to levers in a signal box with all the principal running signal levers concentrated at each end (the end from which the relevant trains arrive). So the outermost levers would be yellow (or once upon a time green) if the distants we're worked or white (spare) if they weren't, followed by at least a couple of red levers for home and starting signals, with a mix of red (signal), black (points), blue (fpls) and white (spare) levers in between. If there was a level crossing, the brown levers for its locks might go outside the distant levers at the end closest to the crossing and any wheel.

There is nothing wrong with an "artist's impression" approach, indeed it is emminentally sensible in your situation, but it should bear some resemblance to reality, after all, you wouldn't paint the trees on your back scene a random rainbow mix of colours even though some variation in colour would be realistic.

Finally, as a rather sad PS, have you heard what has happened to the P4 scale honorary North Cornwall layout St Merryn.

Edited by bécasse
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 05/03/2022 at 20:59, bécasse said:

There is a fairly standardised layout to levers in a signal box with all the principal running signal levers concentrated at each end (the end from which the relevant trains arrive). So the outermost levers would be yellow (or once upon a time green) if the distants we're worked or white (spare) if they weren't, followed by at least a couple of red levers for home and starting signals, with a mix of red (signal), black (points), blue (fpls) and white (spare) levers in between. If there was a level crossing, the brown levers for its locks might go outside the distant levers at the end closest to the crossing and any wheel.

I would assume the levers are situated in numerical order, so with a suitable signal box diagram which shows the lever numbers against each signal, point, lock, etc., it is a simple matter to paint the levers the right colours.

signal_cabin_interior_02.jpg.6fc2bc806de503568303a89cd12c096c.jpg

The signal box diagram also shows the location of the frame within the box (the line and dot), which indicated the unexpected position of the frame in the Freshwater signalbox, along a side wall.

Edited by Ian Morgan
image reposted
  • Like 4

Having 'worked' a box with a level crossing in my teenage years I can confirm what @bécasse says.  The three brown levers were at the end of the frame beside the wheel, which was at the end nearest the gates.  The were catch lock, catch change over and wicket gate lock.  Having released the catch lock, the catch change over dropped the catches holding the gates closed against the railway and raised those to hold them closed against the road.   Once the gates were closed to the road you pulled the catch lock to lock the catches and so hold the gates in position.  This also locked the wheel.    Only then could either of the home signals be cleared.  The wicket lock was normally pulled when the train was approaching to prevent pedestrians opening them.

Jim

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, bécasse said:

There is nothing wrong with an "artist's impression" approach, indeed it is emminentally sensible in your situation, but it should bear some resemblance to reality, after all, you wouldn't paint the trees on your back scene a random rainbow mix of colours even though some variation in colour would be realistic.

Backass, I wouldn’t paint my trees on the back scene a random mix of rainbow colours because they are clearly  visible. The box interior is, at best, seen in silhouette from the front or side, from the viewing side nothing can be seen at all. I think an artistic impression is adequate.

Jerry

• Like 4
  • Funny 1

9 hours ago, queensquare said:

Backass, I wouldn’t paint my trees on the back scene a random mix of rainbow colours because they are clearly  visible. The box interior is, at best, seen in silhouette from the front or side, from the viewing side nothing can be seen at all. I think an artistic impression is adequate.

Jerry

Jerry

I did my best to indicate that I wasn't criticising what you had done this time, I fully understand that the levers won't be visible to the viewing public (but why go to the trouble of painting them at all in that case?). I was merely trying to provide useful guidelines to you, and others, if you find yourself in a similar situation again, perhaps where the levers are rather more visible but you don't know what the correct sequence of colours is (which will often be the case).

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, bécasse said:

Jerry

I did my best to indicate that I wasn't criticising what you had done this time, I fully understand that the levers won't be visible to the viewing public (but why go to the trouble of painting them at all in that case?). I was merely trying to provide useful guidelines to you, and others, if you find yourself in a similar situation again, perhaps where the levers are rather more visible but you don't know what the correct sequence of colours is (which will often be the case).

Thanks, your comments about lever colours and the order they would generally be painted in was indeed useful and duly noted.

Your comments about rainbow trees on the back scene less so.

Jerry

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

And I thought it was a new way for the super critic to tr to embarass the exhibitor...

' of course lever no 7 wouldn't be black with white strips post 1923...'  :nono:

I must admit I would probably associate the levers with the turnouts and signal especially if I was operating them via an oversize frame off scene. So I would probably know what colour to paint each lever so might as well get them correct but who would actually know. If I only had room for 16 levers whereas the original had 20 because they were slightly oversize I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

Don

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Donw said:

That is pretty fast work for such an excellent job. I would think doing them all together helped with the painting.

Don

Thanks Don. I demonstrated making windows at Missenden last weekend which was useful. Painting all the buildings at once was more about uniformity of colour than speed although there's no doubt its much quicker to do them as a batch than individually.

jerry

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Doncaster Green said:

Beautiful Jerry!  That's all I can say, beautiful!

John

Thanks John. Your Guineaport  cottages on Wadebridge are still greatly admired and saved us loads of time. Thankfully there are very few buildings at Padstow other than the main railway ones!

Frighteningly, this picture is from 2015 - seven years ago! The cottages in the foreground now have chimney pots, the greenery has received more work and my Midland 1F on running trials has a coat of paint!

Jerry

IMG_0574.JPG.3ed631f19b1ef467baab75fb57f148a5.JPG

• Like 11

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Looking across the Cam toward Guineaport and Wadebridge East box, think it might be a bit of a wait for the ACE!

70A86766-1657-4E73-A63C-7777516C10E9.jpeg.38c57c081cd865713f57c31c192ee9f7.jpeg

.... bit further along. Not much on shed this morning. Time for breakfast!

0FF3E2F0-A808-408A-A7C2-F3F3E609831A.jpeg.25b6a7a372a01c73b809abbd610e19b6.jpeg

Jerry

Edited by queensquare
  • Like 11

• RMweb Gold
On 20/03/2022 at 07:05, 2ManySpams said:

Think you might be waiting quite a while Jerry.

Buildings look excellent.

You're right, we gave up waiting and walked to Padstow!

Jerry

5888694D-EAD4-474C-82E9-AE23EF21D473.jpeg.6b181d6b91a858ab2c95952f86181a2e.jpeg

B56E287F-B37D-439A-83BA-D87354638E99.jpeg.ed93e49a49c03fb8dbd3eb065c1a6623.jpeg

Edited by queensquare
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Quick snap of John “I’m not building any more engines” Greenwood’s bench yesterday - 

a beautiful Adams pair and a S&D Fox Walker - the fruits of our bartering. 

Jerry

0E6ADF44-E2E3-489D-BDF6-E0F8AC8AD64D.jpeg.a17ec67ad52197048a4e5e6c67dab580.jpeg

Edited by queensquare
  • Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2