Bachmann CLASS 108 2-CAR DMU - SOUND

Compbck

I have a Bachmann Class 108 2-Car DMU that currently has an 8-pin standard DCC decoder in each car. I now wish to convert this set to DCC Sound.

I would be grateful if someone could  please clarify whether I need to install a Sound Decoder in each car or just one car and leave a standard decoder in the second car, point me in the direction of a website that may have already covered this issue.

The unit has lighting installed as standard, if that is an issue that needs to be also considered as part of the installation.

You need a sound decoder in only one car. The other can use an ordinary one. Both the sound decoder and the basic one will work the lights. For space reasons it is easier to put the basic decoder in the driven car as the un motorised car has much more room. Yours, Harry

I have a Class 108 with a South West Digital sound chip fitted and it sounds very realistic and brings back many found memories of heritage DMU's in their heyday.

I have one sound chip in the power car and another none sound chip in the driving one the advantage is that you can run hybrid DMU's if required.

Good luck with whatever solution you choose.

Nigel

I have a Class 108 with a South West Digital sound chip fitted and it sounds very realistic and brings back many found memories of heritage DMU's in their heyday.

I have one sound chip in the power car and another none sound chip in the driving one the advantage is that you can run hybrid DMU's if required.

Good luck with whatever solution you choose.

Nigel

There are various options re sounds, Howes do one project, Legomanboffo (Via Dc kits) do two. Don't forget the better the speaker the better the sounds!  Charlie

Plenty of room in the power car for a sound decoder.

post-11105-0-99704400-1383509295_thumb.jpg

And a sugar cube speaker under the chassis

post-11105-0-60156700-1383509362_thumb.jpg

Will probably add another speaker under the unpowered car as well running two wires between the cars with a conductive coupling when I get some spare time.

If I was goin for a sound chip id use a dc kits one I've just got a 150 dmu sound from them and I have just returned from a week away in Scotland went by train by the way and its like bein stud in Preston station and the service is second to non

Cheers Ian

If I was goin for a sound chip id use a dc kits one I've just got a 150 dmu sound from them and I have just returned from a week away in Scotland went by train by the way and its like bein stud in Preston station and the service is second to non

Cheers Ian

Cheers Ian

Cheers Ian

So good you said it twice

Thanks for all your feedback Guys. I have ordered a decoder today from one of my favourite suppliers - Wickness Models based in Scotland.

I will let you know what the sound result turns out to be, but everything he has supplied me with works fine.

• 2 weeks later...

Further to the above - Sound Decoder neatly fitted to the inside of the power car roof with a double-sided pad and is not visible from the outside. The speaker has been fitted in what appears to be a toilet compartment in the centre of the unit and secured with blu-tak which helps to provide a solid sound (rather than a tinny version) and the wires were twisted covered in tape and neatly tucked along the walkway between the seats. Again not really noticeable from the outside unless you put a torch and magnifying glass to it.

The trailer car has a non-sound decoder fitted within a recess adjacent to the 8-pin decoder socket, and is not visible from the outside, but has been wrapped in black insulation tape for good measure.

Both power car and trailer were programmed simultaneously with the same code, and interior cab lights, front and rear headboards and headlamps work perfectly.  When changing directions the headlights and tail-lights alternate from white to red with ease.

The secret to getting the interior lights to work efficiently is to ensure that the vertical copper conductors connect neatly with the copper connectors located in the roof of each car.  I think I must have just got lucky on that score.

The sound track for the completed installation is perfect comprising of a range of features associated with a DMU.

The sound is perfect

So good you said it twice

yeah well if you have this sound its something worth saying twice. . . twice i tell thee 

ive just stripped my dmu down fitted a speaker in the ready made slot. but blue tacked it down i also covered the rear of the speaker to force the sound downwards i have now just cut space under the rear car to fit another speaker in it and to  power it from the front car lets hope the sound is worth it 

Archived