Minsterley - Modern Image OHLE Layout

Doughnut

Cheers Anthony/Peter. The video is done with a Cannon SLR...ok for pointing at one location but I think for fast moving shots/pans etc a normal video camera might be better, as the Autofocus on those seems to be much better than the autofocus of an SLR, for videoing; no mechanical lense motor noise etc..

Dave

Well April turns to May and some new stock has been coming online at Minsterley. FGW HST with biffo MTU chips, new scratch-built- lit camera wagon and some newly weathered VGA/Cargowagons. Sound class 67 in the pipeline too.

Have found the camera wagon/cabride vids, have a second purpose; ie lets me know how straight and smooth my tracks are/are not !! Having a look at the Subway video I've discovered 3 track kinks due to expansion, going on under there. Up top, no problem, but the flextrack is obviously a lot warmer down under and not all of it is glued into place....hence the expansion kinks. So correcting them as we speak, with some fishplated expansion joints and glued ballast.

Dave

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KxTQggpkh4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5KNIKMhMTA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejDuHtyhWO4

• Like 17

Hi Dave, nice videos .... can i ask you about your class 158, did you convert this to DCC ? And did you use two chips or one ?

Hi Anthony.

The one in the vid is a 3-car class 168 (clubman) dmu, but I do have an Arriva class 158 too, 2-car. Both are DCC sound and both have one chip but with 2 speakers, one in each coach.

Dave

Hi Anthony.

The one in the vid is a 3-car class 168 (clubman) dmu, but I do have an Arriva class 158 too, 2-car. Both are DCC sound and both have one chip but with 2 speakers, one in each coach.

Dave

Thanks for the reply Dave, can i ask did you convert these yourself ? I hava a few of these and i am trying to find a few guides on how to conver them, i have the bromsgrove info but was trying to find something a bit more hands on.

Thanks for the reply Dave, can i ask did you convert these yourself ? I hava a few of these and i am trying to find a few guides on how to conver them, i have the bromsgrove info but was trying to find something a bit more hands on.

Yes I did. It's not too difficult. Which bits of the chipping are you interested in:- the speaker positioning, wiring the coach lights, wiring the head/tail lights, track pick-ups?

Dave

Yes I did. It's not too difficult. Which bits of the chipping are you interested in:- the speaker positioning, wiring the coach lights, wiring the head/tail lights, track pick-ups?

Dave

LOL all of the above Dave, i haven't done one before so all help would be greatly appreciated.

Very similar to normal DCC chips, only they have an additional 2 wires for the speaker.

Red & Black wires are for the track pick-ups, from the wheels, Orange & Grey are power feeds to the motor, White is connected to the headlights via a resistor, Yellow is connected to the Red rear lights with a resistor. Green & Purple wires are for the coach lighting and the Blue wire is the common Positive used with white, yellow, green & purple light feeds.

For the headlights I use 2mm Lighthouse LEDS - warm white and for the rear lights 2mm lighthouse LEDS - Red.

For the coach lights I use the warmwhite LED strips you can get from Maplins or Rapid.

I used two 4 ohm speakers, one for each coach, connected in series. I opened out the hole in the metal chasis of the units, to position the speakers in.

A lot to take in, I know, but give me a shout with a pvt message when your doing it and I can explain it bit by bit, if you like.

Dave

• 3 weeks later...

Another Bank hol. weekend comes around again...and it's more 'layout time' to be had.  Latest stock addition to Minsterley is in the form of a class 67 and Mk3 rake with DVT, in my own TOC brand. 'Vinyls' (transfers) knocked up on the pc. After stripping the paint from the Mk3's and DVT, a nice coat of Halfords Platinum(after primer) and then on with the transfers. The Mk3 coaches were from a Midland Mainline set that I disbanded, so not too much to fork out. Some pics below show some of the train, which is also featured in the latest vid. which I am, at the moment, slowly but surely dowloading to Youtube. Class 67 sound chip from Mr Biff. is up to his usual very high standards.

Dave

post-863-0-09572800-1432322264_thumb.jpg

post-863-0-28076100-1432322311_thumb.jpg

post-863-0-51204300-1432322381_thumb.jpg

post-863-0-69138300-1432322434_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Well April turns to May and some new stock has been coming online at Minsterley. FGW HST with biffo MTU chips, new scratch-built- lit camera wagon and some newly weathered VGA/Cargowagons. Sound class 67 in the pipeline too.

Have found the camera wagon/cabride vids, have a second purpose; ie lets me know how straight and smooth my tracks are/are not !! Having a look at the Subway video I've discovered 3 track kinks due to expansion, going on under there. Up top, no problem, but the flextrack is obviously a lot warmer down under and not all of it is glued into place....hence the expansion kinks. So correcting them as we speak, with some fishplated expansion joints and glued ballast.

Dave

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KxTQggpkh4

In the second vid. Like the tunnel innards,cabling & lighting.

3rd rail seems to have gone down reasonably well, did you use the washers ?

Out for my morning walk, will leave the other 2 vids, till I get back, watch with breakfast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5KNIKMhMTA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejDuHtyhWO4

Mornin Mr. T.  Yes the 3rd rail was ok to put down. As I use a roller track cleaner, I wanted the 3rd rail no higher than the running rails, so I used small headed panel nails, soldered to the underside of the 3rd rail, to fix the rail to the sleepers. The head of the nail gives the impression of a 'pot' support.

Dave

Mornin Mr. T.  Yes the 3rd rail was ok to put down. As I use a roller track cleaner, I wanted the 3rd rail no higher than the running rails, so I used small headed panel nails, soldered to the underside of the 3rd rail, to fix the rail to the sleepers. The head of the nail gives the impression of a 'pot' support.

Dave

Thanks for reply D.

Do you mean,  like this one ?