Re-mapping function buttons. How please?

dasatcopthorne

Unless you have the original sound project actually loaded in the software you cannot access any of the sound slots without risking losing the sounds that were on the chip.

You cannot EVER download sounds from a  chip to your computer or anywhere else for that matter.

There is no warning in the software or the instructions but if you push 'save' or 'write' with the word 'project' attached you will almost certainly overwrite the chip sounds with dead silence.

You can only change some CV's which will make the sounds change how they are accessed by the chip firmware and you can change any of the CV's that are designated by the NMRA standards ( CV 1-100 for the sake of the discussion ). Anything else is changed at your own peril.

Lokprogrammer is far more dangerous in this respect than both your DCC throttle and command station and DecoderPro although Nigel's advice about the latter is to be respected. It took several years for V3.5 Loksound CV's to be written into a file on DecoderPro and V4 is completely different and obviously not complete.

I repeat, you CANNOT DOWNLOAD SOUNDS FROM A LOKSOUND CHIP and you cannot UPLOAD INDIVIDUAL SOUNDS either.

Sorry for the shouting but this point needs to be made.

Dave.

Thanks for the stern warning. Much appreciated.

I never mind the 'shouting'. After all, it's only to emphasize something.

Dave

Hi

Referring to the OP, I find the Loksound V4 manual really difficult to get to grips with, and seems to contain a fair number of errors. Maybe due to translation from German to English?

Can'work out the Function Mapping.  Confused by tems such as "Mapping Line", "Conditions Block", "Output Block", "Control CV's" etc

I just want to map F11 & F12 to Aux1 & Aux2 outputs, on a Loksound XL v.4, but can't get it working!

Can anyone help?

(I usually stick to  Zimo chips - much more logical - but just doing this for a friend!)

Tim

Tim.

I've re-mapped a Loksound V.4 chip.

Do you think the XL V.4 might be the same?

Dave

You could try the attachment as an alternative explanation of how the LokSound V4 operates.  

I wrote it about 18 months ago by reverse engineering the output of the LokProgrammer software, when information in the ESU manuals was lacking.   The ESU manuals have since been extended to cover this information, though it remains complicated.

ESU Loksound V4 functions.pdf

- Nigel

You could try the attachment as an alternative explanation of how the LokSound V4 operates.  

I wrote it about 18 months ago by reverse engineering the output of the LokProgrammer software, when information in the ESU manuals was lacking.   The ESU manuals have since been extended to cover this information, though it remains complicated.

attachicon.gifESU Loksound V4 functions.pdf

- Nigel

Thanks Nigel - I've printed it off, and will try to get to grips over the weekend.

If only I hadn't sold my Lokprogrammer............

Tim

• RMweb Premium

Going slightly off topic but I see the Sprog 2 with decoder pro alters CV s on a range of decoders which is basically what I have. I am thinking of buying a Lokprogrammer because it looks very simple and easy to use. However, does the Lokprogrammer work with other makes of decoder apart from ESU? I have a range from Lenz, Hornby, TCS and a couple of gauge master cheapies. Sound aside I normally buy Lenz now. My main interest is to be able to alter CVs I would not be altering much to do with sound aside from the basics.

Going slightly off topic but I see the Sprog 2 with decoder pro alters CV s on a range of decoders which is basically what I have. I am thinking of buying a Lokprogrammer because it looks very simple and easy to use. However, does the Lokprogrammer work with other makes of decoder apart from ESU? I have a range from Lenz, Hornby, TCS and a couple of gauge master cheapies. Sound aside I normally buy Lenz now. My main interest is to be able to alter CVs I would not be altering much to do with sound aside from the basics.

The SPROG is an excellent piece of kit and is recommended for what you want to do on sound decoders. The Lokprogrammer is designed to allow you to load sound projects that you have either acquired or written yourself.

Remember though that DecoderPro is a tad flawed in that is entirely an open source programme which relies on users writing decoder files and uploading them to DecoderPro. Nevertheless as long as you studiously avoid 'read' or 'write all sheets' it will serve you really well in giving a GUI to work with.

Another point is that there is no requirement for any decoder manufacturer to comply with NMRA protocols for all CV's. Thus, with some decoders it might be that trying to change some high end CV's might not work and it is germane that sound decoders have masses of CV's whereas standard motor control and static accessory decoders are much less challenging.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Dave it sounds as if the Sprog is the best for me as I just want to modify CVs like speed, acceleration etc. on the sound decoders all I would changes is volumes and minor settings etc.

Remember though that DecoderPro is a tad flawed in that is entirely an open source programme which relies on users writing decoder files and uploading them to DecoderPro.

JMRI is updated a darn sight faster than most commercial programs; report an issue on the support email group, and an answer is usually provided in hours.  Try that with commercial software providers.  

Opensource doesn't mean low quality.   Linux is open source.   Most of the world's webservers run on open source software.

- Nigel

JMRI is updated a darn sight faster than most commercial programs; report an issue on the support email group, and an answer is usually provided in hours.  Try that with commercial software providers.  

Opensource doesn't mean low quality.   Linux is open source.   Most of the world's webservers run on open source software.

- Nigel

Very true Nigel but like most open source programmes, DecoderPro is very much a self help idea. Most of us are used to commercial software that does what it says on the tin and, if it doesn't, there is redress available. I think that, on a forum such as this, it is important to warn everyone what they are taking on so they can make an informed choice.

I think the majority of sound dabblers are quite happy to buy an RTR sound loco and just run it.

I have some experience of modellers changing CV's on shop bought sound decoders and I believe that Bachmann and Hornby have some experience of warranty claims in much the same way and it is quite common for this sort of thing to happen.

It is also strange how these modellers are completely at a loss as to how it happened.

Archived