Whiteways Cider, Whimple

cromptonnut

Does anyone have any information - or can point me in the direction of - about the Whiteways Cider sidings at Whimple?

Particularly interseted in

- Stock used

- Frequency and destination of workings

- A track plan

towards the end of its operational life.

Many thanks.

My 1975 Exeter area trip booklet shows:-

Trip 4  class 25 (extract of Laira 95)

SX worked 3 trips from Exeter Riverside to Exmouth Junction and return then

6B73 13.05 Exeter Riverside - St Davids 13.10 - 13.38 - Whimple arr 14.00

6B73 15.00 Whimple - Chard arr 15.47

6B73 17.00 Chard - St Davids 18.20 - 18.30 - Exeter Riverside arr 1835,

In the Speedlink era  a Riverside - Whimple and return trip presumably ran SX as required (?)

The traffic was cider loaded out in Cov-ABs. I havd one poor photo of it in 1979 hauled by 25057.

After the Salisbury - Exeter line was singled the down platform was used for passenger traffic,

the track through the up platform remained as a freight loop to enable the run round.

cheers

Saw most type of loco's in the 1970's (classes 25,31,33,45,46,47 and the rare 50 or 52 ) Never got any pictures though.

Various vans appeared and from earlier memories open pallet wagons.

Polybulks would arrive en route after Pinhoe or milk tanks on way to Chard Junction.

Various On Track Plant would also be stabled.

Polybulks would arrive en route after Pinhoe or milk tanks on way to Chard Junction.

Various On Track Plant would also be stabled.

My reference books are temporarily unavailable, but I did wonder if, in the Speedlink era, the Whimple trip was combined with a shunt at Pinhoe.

As well as the Polybulks mentioned I think Westbrick loaded bricks into Open-ABs at Pinhoe, so presumably they would be seen on their way back to Riverside?

I visited the Whimple Heritage Centre in the summer, it has one gallery devoted to Whiteways Cider,

I remember seeing aerial photos of the station and factory area including a shot with 5 or 6 Cov-ABs in the yard.

I would guess the daily forwarding of vans to be no more than 1 - 3,

cheers

Hi all,

If you look at old maps for Whimple. It shows the 4 sidings, head shunt and all the switch backs connecting them. The 1:2500 from 1969 is the best one with all tracks still in use.

Regards

Vin

Evenin' C,

The 24s & 25s by Janes has a pic of 25223 shunting at the Whiteways Whimple factory...one 45T AB van and a standard brakevan form the train in this March 77 view. 

Some attractive buildings are visible as is some of the track layout.

As an aside 'The Withered Arm' DVD by B&W includes a glimpse of the attractive advertising for Whiteways bordering the former Southern main line at Whimple in the mid-sixties...set amongst the distinctive apple orchards. 

Dave

Archived