The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

The Most Annoying Things

lightengine

Being forced to be politically correct under pain of being shunned, mocked, burnt at the stake, crucified etc.,

Just in case I might say or write or do something, that heaven forbid, might mildly upset someone or something on this or any other planet in this galaxy.

Thus finding myself in a position of being unable to be truly myself and write about that which I would wish to declare is "most annoying to me..."

XXXX (colourful and profound illustrative comment censored...) ...

(2) Unfairness in any form...

Orwell liked the term 'proles' but I take it that wasn't the original intent.

I was thinking ancient Rome rather than Airstrip One. Some present-day politicians seem to have difficulty in masking their disdain for those whose votes they have to court and occasionally let slip a line that has to be apologised for, while they mutter under their breaths “Bid them wash their faces, and keep their teeth clean”.

But, the proles had minimal voting rights in the Roman Republic and non at all in Airstrip One; in the Roman Republic and in the UK the Plebs did and we do have the vote – our political masters offend us at their peril.

You might not have to be anywhere in a hurry, but I am working - please get a move on, or slow down a bit more and let me pass you.

If I'm doing the speed limit driving three feet from my rear bumper isn't going to get anybody anywhere any quicker. It's just plain dangerous.

I take it you are not referring to people enjoying a beer and a barbecue before a US College football game?

Ha ha! I've got nothing against those people. Us Brits have a different use for the term tailgater: someone who drives an unsafe distance behind the vehicle in front.

Kev,

I agree that being three feet from your rear bumper is unsafe, but if you are doing the speed limit then I too will be doing it, and as a result I will be following at a suitable and hopefully safe distance.

But my complaint is with the people who drive around at a speed less than the speed limit, but don't seem to be aware of other traffic that has caught up with them and wishes to overtake at a suitably safe opportunity.

Catkins.

P.S. I was a young lead footed driver once, I've lived to tell the tale.

People who keep their foot on the brake pedal waiting for ages at the lights, Use yer handbrake for goads sake. Saves you having to change your overheated and blackened brake light bulbs every few months....

Dave.

With the hand brake applied applied, my truck (Scania) releases the trailer brakes. Therefore I sit with the footbrake applied so that I have brake pads applied the trailer as well as the unit. Very rarely have to change brake light bulbs, it's normally side light bulbs that go...

A lot of this is caused by the number of cars these days with stop/start technology, the car only switches off when stationary with the brake pedal depressed, so the tightwad owners can save micro pence whilst blinding you. Admittedly there are still plenty of lazy/inconsiderate drivers who do it.

It's the fault of the stupid manufacturers who can't be arsed to put a circuit in the electrics to switch the brake lights off whilst the car is stationary.

Mike.

Really? Not driven a car with it on but our Mercedes trucks have it and you have to have the handbrake on (and possibly out of gear but not 100% on that)...

Orwell liked the term 'proles' but I take it that wasn't the original intent.

I was thinking ancient Rome rather than Airstrip One. 

Gordon, of course you had the reference right. I just didn't include the original comment that you responded to. My reference was more slanted to lumpenproletariat than proletarii.

Basil Fawlty was quite fond of that description, if I remember correctly...

Yes it's sounds right, but I can't remember where. It's used less than you'd think.

This one is from "A Touch of Class"

Yes, but now we can try to build up a higher class of clientele! ...Turn away some of the riff-raff.

• RMweb Premium

Kev,

I agree that being three feet from your rear bumper is unsafe, but if you are doing the speed limit then I too will be doing it, and as a result I will be following at a suitable and hopefully safe distance.

But my complaint is with the people who drive around at a speed less than the speed limit, but don't seem to be aware of other traffic that has caught up with them and wishes to overtake at a suitably safe opportunity.

Some people assume that they ARE driving at the speed limit, when in fact they aren't because their speedometer is faulty. Of course they're oblivious to the fact that everywhere they go, the road is empty in front of them, yet banked up behind them. Otherwise known as the nut holding the wheel.

Those Sunday drivers that chug along in either the middle or outside lane doing about 60MPH and then the idiot doing 160MPH down the outside lane like a nutter on speed!

YEAH. . . . With their flashing blue lghts and two tone Horns. . . Who do they think they are????????

• RMweb Gold

Drivers??? who when stationary at faffing lights, sit with their faffing foot on the faffing brake . . . . .DON'T YOU KNOW WHAT THE FAFFING HANDBRAKE IS FOR ?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Already been there.

Haven't you read the faffing thread?

Mike.

Already been there.

Haven't you read the faffing thread?

Mike.

No . . . missed that one  but I got stuck behind one of the  #@*&^%$?><@ coming home

Found it on # 47. . . sorry but I've had a few sleeps since then . . . . . . . . . .

Archived