North American automobile models

torikoos

Tonight's research has involved watching "Blue Thunder" as I like the era and have been on the miniature train in it (watch out for the orange SPFE Reefers with white lettering at the end too...).

As confirmed by imcdb.org , most cars are American, but there are a few European interlopers including VW Beetles and an Audi 100.

The 1:87 cars from 4D models in China arrived this afternoon, Ebay item 121112253434 ordered on the 10th November (and posted at 1620 on the 11th) so good delivery speed from halfway round the world - 16 little boxes, each containing what appears to be a very well moulded, and bagged, kit for 1:87 scale cars - very pleased with what looks like some enjoyable building fun to keep me occupied over the next few days - I have some sorting out of other stuff to do first, though.

EDIT - I thought you might be interested to see what you get - This is the Range Rover - a box containing two little bags - one has the body and doors, the other has the seats, wheels, glazing, tyres, and axles etc; and an illustrated sheet of instructions in Chinese - but the diagrams are obvious Seems good value for 16 vehicles with free postage

post-6688-0-01177800-1385136468_thumb.jpg

Edited by shortliner
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

They look quite good, and don't cost a lot.

Be interesting to see how they go together, they remind me a bit of the William Brothers kits from the U.S. except they were made from clear plastic.

These type of vehicles are good as you can put people in them while you make them.

I think thats a Land Rover discovery you have.

Edited by cnw6847

Yes - that is the "Discovery" - it happened to be the first one out of the box that I picked up to photograph - they are certainly cheap enough, and good value - easily "populated" and put together, and since the doors are seperate, could be modelled with the door open and someone entering or leaving - parking lots. anybody?

Edited by shortliner
  • Like 2

Had a little time this afternoon, so I decided to put the Landrover together

Time = somewhere between 20 minutes and half an hour
Tools = a SHARP modelling knife, sprue nippers and a toffee hammer (needed to persuade the wheels onto the axles) the knife is to remove the tires from their "sprue". I also added a Wiking "Yummy mummy in baseball cap" as the driver, and a Preiser Male passenger. No glue is needed - the car clip-fits together. but a liqid glue could be used if you think it is needed. - simply follow the illustrated instructions. Drivers and passenger door open - all windows have glazing except the opening doors.

These might make a good "rainy afternoon" introduction to kit building for a young modeller - Think easy Airfix kit without glue. Note that the photos are considerably enlarged - the car is 5.5 cm long by (barely) 2 cm high

post-6688-0-51212300-1385312185_thumb.jpg

post-6688-0-87573000-1385312179_thumb.jpg

This is exactly as supplied - a liittle "tidying" of the paint around the LH rear lamp is needed - but otherwise good value for the money

Edited by shortliner

The box has multiple writing on it, but apart from numbers, is all in Chinese, and the words "Made in China" in English

In the (probably vain) hope that somebody on here reads Chinese,(Cantonese?, Mandarin?, ???) here is the box, and the leaflet that comes inside it

post-6688-0-07984000-1385380114.jpg

post-6688-0-37539200-1385380115.jpg

post-6688-0-58656500-1385380112.jpg

I'm afraid that trying to get a clear scan of the very small characters simply doesn't work

Edited by shortliner

Some more info is to be found here http://87thscale.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=print&thread=2044

If you go about 1/3 of the way down the page there are some comparison photos

and it would be interesting to know the scale of these

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.66.r0pgix&id=35678545410

EDIT = Google translate says (Paraphrased) ready assembled luxury cars manufactured by Hopewell Hing in 1/87 scale

Edited by shortliner

Paul - go to ebay UK and put 1:87 Oxford Diecast into the search - they seem to be available

Yes Jack, I know, I've seen them there.  But - even though Hattons may be advertising them - are they actually in the shops?

I'll try and find out this coming weekend at the WAKEFIELD EXHIBITION.

Shameless plug.

Hope Jamie sees it...............................

Yes Jack, I know, I've seen them there.  But - even though Hattons may be advertising them - are they actually in the shops?

I'll try and find out this coming weekend at the WAKEFIELD EXHIBITION.

Shameless plug.

Hope Jamie sees it...............................

Well, I have actually handled one two weeks ago (and in Canada).

Adrian

Would be nice if we could lobby Oxford to do some more modern US vehicles... 

(by which I don't mean 'what the world needs now is yet another Mustang'...)

Dodge Reliant K-Car? A staple of the early '80s and I saw one of the silly things being driven two days ago - I had hoped that the salt had killed them all off by now.

I did see that Rietze does a Ford Focus that would work for a modern US car.

Adrian